DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    NHRA legal age to race
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NHRA legal age to race
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
There’s several here who are always confused, always clueless.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Surely you jest. Didn't think of that

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Th6467:
I don't know who 1320racer is nor do I care....but he is wrong and absolutely full of **** on this deal. The legal age for a kid to race has not always been 16. This changed in 2019 per our division director. In Idaho the state we live in kids are able to obtain a regular drivers license at age 15. I am personally one who was able to race at a Division 6 E.T. finals at the age of 15 with NHRA's permission almost 30 years ago. Seems that some of this other **** going on around the country has impacted the other 99.9% of us by forcing rule implementations that have blanketed everyone without consideration to specific states and the legal driving age. As far as the O.P., I do not know a better family and representation of people who absolutely abide by the rules set forth by not only our track but the sanctioning organization as well. The way this issue was brought to light was by them trying to do the right thing in the first place. Those of us that have kids involved will do anything to get them excited and racing with us to keep the sport alive. If they are legally licensed to drive in the state they live and have a parents permission and signature they should be able to race.....atleast in sportsman.

A member since 2010 & finally a post, I like!

As for the rules when or if they changed. There have been racers racing in NHRA & under the age of 16. There was was two examples given from two different NHRA Divisions. I'm aware of the one example given by double trouble. Is it right that the rules were broken, shiiiiiaat happens. There seems to be exceptions for anything.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2552 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maliciousintent:
Surely you jest. Didn't think of that

And don't call me Shirley. LOL.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6409 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know who 1320racer is nor do I care....but he is wrong and absolutely full of **** on this deal. The legal age for a kid to race has not always been 16. This changed in 2019 per our division director. In Idaho the state we live in kids are able to obtain a regular drivers license at age 15. I am personally one who was able to race at a Division 6 E.T. finals at the age of 15 with NHRA's permission almost 30 years ago. Seems that some of this other **** going on around the country has impacted the other 99.9% of us by forcing rule implementations that have blanketed everyone without consideration to specific states and the legal driving age. As far as the O.P., I do not know a better family and representation of people who absolutely abide by the rules set forth by not only our track but the sanctioning organization as well. The way this issue was brought to light was by them trying to do the right thing in the first place. Those of us that have kids involved will do anything to get them excited and racing with us to keep the sport alive. If they are legally licensed to drive in the state they live and have a parents permission and signature they should be able to race.....atleast in sportsman.

I have been racing I suppose 34 years now. Our local track was NHRA then. Couldn't drive when I was 15 on the track. Pretty sure the first rule book I received when I became a member said 16. I can't find anything tangible to show, but I don't recall anything other than magic 16.

As far as rules: Gimmie a break! Look I don't want more government in any part of my life. Actually I want way way less. So let's get the political bu11sh1t out of the way. This isn't about politics. This is about racing at an NHRA sanctioned track. Nothing to do about the government. Long ago the NHRA was started to create a safer, controlled environment for racers to compete. Part of what makes it what it is, is rules. Some of them are stupid. Many are not. I'm not arguing the stupidity or wisdom of any particular rule. But sanctioning bodies have maintained and led the way to making, safer places to race. If you don't set a boundary for someone, there is no limit to the stupidity that they and others will bring. How would it feel to be laying in a hospital bed after the 12 year old in the lane next to you collected you on the track? That's what you would have. So no. There is no leeway, no state to state variance for when kids can race in regular competition. If you want to race younger, find yourself a good ol boys track where anything goes, and knock yourself out. Well not literally of course.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6409 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
First of all.....we are not referencing the same thing. NHRA in the past has always had age 16 as the minimum for NHRA licensed competition i.e. Super Gas, Super Comp etc licenses. In the rule books I have from 1992 and 2016 it states anyone with a valid state license can compete. The old rule book states in 2016 under General Reg 10:4 "All competitors at NHRA Mello Yello national events must be a minimum of 18 years of age."

We are talking about a kid legally licensed at 15 racing in sportsman at a Set finals event.....not a Divisional or National event. No where in any rule book until 2019 does it specify you have to be 16 years of age to participate.

Posts: 7 | Location: Boise | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The ET Finals IS an NHRA divisional. Talk about what you know, not what you think you know. His kid, your kid,your buddies kid doesn’t get to compete there, end of discussion.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
First of all.....we are not referencing the same thing. NHRA in the past has always had age 16 as the minimum for NHRA licensed competition i.e. Super Gas, Super Comp etc licenses. In the rule books I have from 1992 and 2016 it states anyone with a valid state license can compete. The old rule book states in 2016 under General Reg 10:4 "All competitors at NHRA Mello Yello national events must be a minimum of 18 years of age."

We are talking about a kid legally licensed at 15 racing in sportsman at a Set finals event.....not a Divisional or National event. No where in any rule book until 2019 does it specify you have to be 16 years of age to participate.

I see your point. And I may have always assumed 16 because in my state, driver's licence and 16 are synonymous.
I don't have an NHRA rule book with me, and hate messing with the electronic. But the IHRA one I just picked up had something interesting about the team finals. They said that all competitors must have a competition licence. That't the first I knew about that. But are you able to get a competition licence under 16 years old for anything but jr's and maybe TCR? I thumbed through and didn't see details about that.
Interesting situation, and thanks for pointing out the NHRA wording.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
The OP just doesn’t get it. Rules are for everyone including his kid and it’s always been 16 y/o with the NHRA.

OP does get it. Even Mr. Knowitall gets it wrong from time to time!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/796XhhXNSYyVJNZF6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kzC3tDii7f5JVn6m6

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David_D.,

David Deming
1974 Chevy Nova Custom Hatchback
Horsepower Innovations E85 Carb

Posts: 325 | Location: Nampa, ID | Registered: October 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted Hide Post
quote:
The ET Finals IS an NHRA divisional. Talk about what you know, not what you think you know. His kid, your kid,your buddies kid doesn’t get to compete there, end of discussion.

Here’s what I DO know. I know you are absolutely WRONG. You said and I quote “It’s always been 16 with the NHRA.” That is NOT factual.

Second, the ET Finals is NOT part of the Lucas Oil Division series, it’s the Summit Racing Series and the rules for cars/categories, and licensing are DIFFERENT.

I know that our division director as well as our track owner talked with the tech director from division 5 who is the head of tech for all divisions, and he also stated that the rule changed after the 2018 season.

I know that at some of our Lucas Oil division races, they not only contest the super categories, but also Heavy, Pro, and Super Pro, all of which fall under a different set of general rules than typical divisional categories.

I also know that you will pull an AOC and spin your responses or simply lay blame or tear others down with name calling when you don’t have the FACTS to support you running your mouth about things you THINK you know. I also KNOW that your response to this will be NEGATIVE as that’s your MO.

Instead of hurling insults, why don’t you pick up a rule book pre 2019 and show me where it says anything about an age requirement being 16 to run an ET Finals event (Sportsman, Pro, S/P, sled/bike). I’ll wait.

David Deming

Posts: 325 | Location: Nampa, ID | Registered: October 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Here’s what I know. I know you are absolutely CLUELESS. I said and I quote “It’s always been 16 with the NHRA.” That is a fact.

Second, I never stated that the ET Finals was a LODRS divisional but it is an NHRA divisional whose title sponsor is Summit and the rules for the minimum age for competitors is the same for ALL NHRA events.

I am at Epping right now and have spoken to NHRA officials who have confirmed I am correct. NahNahTounge

quote:
Originally posted by David_D.:

Instead of hurling insults, why don’t you pick up a rule book pre 2019 and show me where it says anything about an age requirement being 16 to run an ET Finals event (Sportsman, Pro, S/P, sled/bike). I’ll wait.

Instead of talking out of your azz again, about things you haven’t gotten a clue and because you don’t like the rules, next time read the rules, ALL the rules for the series you intend to compete in, don’t assume you know, because clearly you don’t.

As you requested, your wait is over...Pre 2019

http://nhradiv5.com/apcm/APCMv...sp?a=34388&print=yes

So your division and tech director too don’t have a clue.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
1320racer look up division 6 rules on NHRAracer since you want to debate this for some reason. There is a link for 2018 finals rules. No mention of age. There is also one for 2011 that says 18 at the bottom but references NHRA full throttle national events as stated previously and Summit national championships???? Not sure what to make of that. But I am positive after seeing your post our rules are and have been different than your divisions. Nowhere in the NHRA rulebook or on Division 6's website have I been able to find it stated 16. Nor have I ever been told that. But I have been told 15 by the NHRA in previous years. And I'm good with that...from what I'm getting from your ability to interact with a key board and online personality the division your in is where you need to stay!

The kids have been in the past and should be able to race if legally licensed in their state of residence atleast in sportsman, or high school. That is the reason we are talking about this in Division 6. I believe my friend posted originally to see if anyone else had been impacted by this rule change (which it was). We will continue to lobby our director, and NHRA along with our track owners and others impacted to get it reasonably looked at by state rules. I have another child under 16 still and we are currently racing Jr. Street with her. (Jr. Street by the way is an awesome way to get involved besides Jr dragsters for those with kids!) If it is in fact an insurance issue that is a different situation. Out west we do not have the luxury of some in other areas as far as participation or tracks within close proximity. Our local track Firebird Raceway is an awesome facility run by a wonderful family. But we need all the people involved we can get and eliminating 2-3 of our qualifiers and damn solid performers for the ET finals because of a rule change that was not pushed out to us racers that have been doing it legally and within the rules is a crock of ****. I appreciate most of the input I have read on this subject in this thread. 1320racer if you are racing as stated best of luck!

Scotty if your following this I remember hearing about a dirt bike and a Nova? I know that was a long time ago but you were like 12 weren't you lol! Just curious....

Posts: 7 | Location: Boise | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Too long didn’t read except for the first sentence. Doesn’t matter cause there’s Nothing to debate and I certainly don’t care. Fact is he was already told his kid can’t compete and the reason is she is not 16, the required minimum age to race in the NHRA Summit ET Finals in every division in the country. End of discussion.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I don't agree with ED to often but, nothing but crickets!

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2552 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ed on this one.Rules is rules.been that way since I started at 16, 49 years ago.Suck it up!

Doing my part to raise the average IQ on this board

Posts: 51 | Location: badlands of New Mexico | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth here is a picture from the General regs in a 2016 NHRA rulebook I have and a screen shot of the digital 2020 NHRA rulebook showing the change image requirement. Rules

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
I don't agree with ED to often but, nothing but crickets!

Nothing but crickets because I’ve got better things to do than argue with an azzhat like Ed. The FACT is as I posted, the rule used to be a valid state or issued drivers license of which in the state of Idaho can be issued to kids at 15 years of age. Go look at the pictures I posted of the NHRA rulebook!

Here’s a picture of the current rulebook that clearly shows the change.

2016: https://photos.app.goo.gl/VZWjyysUGrgw6NQn7

2020: https://photos.app.goo.gl/cukDBBf2LSK2MiQn6

2011 Division 6 ET Finals rules: notice at the bottom where it says you have to be at least 18 to compete at the Summit ET bracket finals in Pomona effective 2008? http://www.nhradiv6.com/apcm/t...icleid=387&zoneid=28

Bottom line is the rules have NOT always been consistent division to division and the minimum age to run a bracket car at an NHRA sanctioned track has NOT always been 16. I don’t care who Ed’s talked to, or about the division 5 rules he posted. I’ve posted pictures directly from the NHRA rulebook and it trumps any division rules. I’m now done posting on the subject. And Ego Eddie can have the last worthless word.

David Deming

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t care who Ed’s talked to, or about the division 5 rules he posted.

You were the one who brought up the Division 5 rule changed after the 2018 season!

quote:
I know that our division director as well as our track owner talked with the tech director from division 5 who is the head of tech for all divisions, and he also stated that the rule changed after the 2018 season.

ED, provided you the information you didn't like.

quote:
As you requested, your wait is over...Pre 2019

http://nhradiv5.com/apcm/APCMv...sp?a=34388&print=yes

So your division and tech director too don’t have a clue.

ED, is a forum: idiot, punk, buffoon or insert any other forum title he has earned. Again, I agree with ED on this one! I may or may not take the cricket mode on this subject.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:

ED, is a forum: expert, states the truth and the facts, a very experienced driver and crew chief or insert any other forum title he has earned. Again, I agree with ED on this one! I may or may not take the cricket mode on this subject.

clapping

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Nah we brought up Division 6 not 5. Not sure why ol 1320racer threw that one on us other than that may be the only thing he could find that had in print age 16 for some proof he has some tangible evidence. Sure as hell didn't provide us proof like the actual pictures we provided from the rule books that show the change and actual number 16. Either way it's a bad deal for the kids that have been racing at 15. Hope you guys are racing today! Good luck if you are.