Doug Kallita
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
quote:
Originally posted by fastman-99:
As someone who has spent his whole career in the Aviation industry. I can say that this topic is so far off base its hilarious. Connie Kallita, has a history of shady business practices, flying unsafe planes, and numerous FAA Violations. He isint flying to places that others refuse to go, that notion is frankly hilarious, and a bold fabrication of the truth. In fact there are numerous carriers, both private, and commercial who do the same jobs he does. He simply underbid the others, because he avoids proper maintenance on his aircraft. And had cheaper cost, as he used scab labor for many years. His pilots just unionized in 2018.So It wouldnt suprize me if he lost some of his government contracts next time around as his cost to do business has gone up greatly. It is true, that they do fly alot of our fallen military home, and they get paid for it, just like any of us would. But I wouldnt call any of it patriotic. Do some research on his labor practices, and his labor issues over the years, and then come back and tell me how patriotic it is. I dont begrudge anyone making a living, or running there business how they choose. But lets use some common sense and facts, before we going annointing someone a hero, or patriotic.

Name one airline that hasn't committed an FAA violation. You're obviously a union coolaid drinker that believes that only a union member has the knowledge or ability to work on an air-frame. I know two people that have worked for him and couldn't have been happier with their long careers with Kallita.

Hey captain assumption! Sure all airlines have had FAA violations. But there are different levels and some are more severe than others. Never did I say that any airline was perfect. I do appreciate the personal attack though, it shows your maturity. I know dozens of his former employees, and work with many of them. I am also very involved in the airline industry and am well aware of how he operates. It has nothing to do with Union or non union,but that was another great assumption. He violated many federal labor laws with his non union labor as well. He also has violated the ADA numerous times, and lost many, many lawsuits to those employees. If you wanna support him, and coddle him, based on your baseless opinion have at it. I will support what I say with knowledge and fact. Bottom line is, there is no reason to treat him as a savior to the US military, there are plenty of other folks who actually sacrifice for that honor. Have a nice day!

Posts: 39 | Location: oregon | Registered: December 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
guess Connie never checked DRR to see if everyone approved of his company practice.Oh wait I have talked to the man and can promise you he don't get too upset if he did.

Don't care about how he runs business the guys and/or gals doing the flying deserve credit for doing something other are not for what ever reason they have.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Yes---must be some reason he is there and others are not. Govt accepts him, and he gets it done.

Posts: 6215 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
here are just a few after things were supposedly improved. And i agree i am sure conrad could care less, he is old and worth millions. But just proving that the company as a whole
shouldnt be patted on the back as a few guys were. Save the honor of serving your county for the people that actually do the work!

"Pilot responses paint a dismal picture. According to the survey, nearly 90 percent of pilots said they would not recommend Kalitta Air to other pilots as a good place to build a career. Ninety-four percent say management does not respect their rights on the job. Ninety-five percent of pilots who responded do not believe that management provides them with accurate and trustworthy information. A mere 2 in 10 Kalitta pilots believe management treats them with the professional respect they deserve."

Crew Scheduling department is stimulating but management is abysmal
Scheduler (Former Employee) - Ypsilanti, MI - September 10, 2019
With 15 years of work experience I walked away from the interviews excited to begin a career here. After a month my excitement started to wind down but not because of the work or lack of stimulation. Sadly management not only embodied the movie "Horrible Bosses" but they were the epitome office politics. In every job there's managers who show nepotism and willingness to sacrifice company operations but here you have managers who will even sacrifice employee safety by allowing their supervisors to threaten their subordinates. It's unfortunate because Connie Kalitta really does care and provides excellent benefits but they don't outweigh the managers who purposely keep their department from progressing because they lack the overall skills to keep up with a vastly growing company.

Avoid
Crew Scheduler (Former Employee) - Willow Run, MI - July 15, 2019
The least professional place I’ve ever worked. The Human Resources department is a joke. If you want to see what it’s like to work for a toddler then you’ve found the right place.

Terrible,terriable
Flight Mechanic B747 (Former Employee) - Home Based - July 1, 2019
I was a FME ( flight maintenance engineer ) 20 days on 10 days off.In that 20 days on I was in a hotel for 16 hours.Even when we had a 20hr layover we stayed in the aircraft.The flights were all over the world sometimes 8hr and longer.legs.Sure they had bunkbeds and feed you but it really messes you up , And if the aircraft breaks you are on duty to fix it for how ever long it takes

kalitta air is horrible
A&P Mechanic (Former Employee) - Oscoda, MI - June 13, 2019
my experience with kalitta air was horrible when I was in Oscoda MI there was no proper training they just threw you on aircraft and expected the best

Avoid working here
Avionics Technician (Former Employee) - Oscoda, MI - February 22, 2019
Poorly managed facility with very bad benifits that you have to overpay to receive. They constantly find ways to avoid FAA fines by telling people to hide things out of plain sight and to lock them up. Undocumented maintenance is commonplace here and the few people that want to do it right can’t because the company thinks it’ll waste money so they’ll get in trouble or fired.

Posts: 39 | Location: oregon | Registered: December 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
We get it you don't like them. Guess what everyone doesn't have to see it your way .

If folks don't like the job its easy to fix. I figure its like reading online reviews. You mat have 50 with 45 that love the item and then 5 think its biggest pos around.

I am out. If nothing else I learned one thing from a former site member.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
We get it you don't like them. Guess what everyone doesn't have to see it your way .

If folks don't like the job its easy to fix. I figure its like reading online reviews. You mat have 50 with 45 that love the item and then 5 think its biggest pos around.

I am out. If nothing else I learned one thing from a former site member.

When someone personally attacks me, I will defend myself with facts, no rumor and here say. Sorry you dont like it. Amazing how upset people get when facts are presented. If you dont want to hear anymore from me, quit responding to my posts! And if your threating me like i am gonna be a former site member, like that other dude, than have at it. Go back an read everything I posted. I never attacked anyone on here. I stated pure fact, if anything you, and the other guy should be the under attack, not me. have a good day!

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Who gives a fuc what a few fired ex-employees have to whine about? There must be enough people working there to keep the doors open.
And a racer and living legend's company was involved in rescuing/removing stranded Americans from a shyth0le country/situation. Props to them and screw anyone that has the need to find fault in it...
Besides Connie probably has crabgrass in his lawn also....you pissants missed that I guess.....

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4475 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Funny how you no positive remarks, only negative. Surely someone likes it there to have been in business and successful all these years----bet he salutes the flag and stands with his hat off for the national anthem also......Hang in there Chris I might need help clapping

Posts: 6215 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Fern,
It's all good. We are here for you.

I started this last go round and I really don't care what this guy has to say. He has been on here for 19 years and has 38 posts. He is welcome to his opinion as much as anyone else is.

You and I both saw them getting the job done and I stand by my original comments. If I see someone else getting the job done I will give them the credit they deserve.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I guess you dont remember when they reset everyones post count a few yrs back?? I have alot more than 38! And obviously you and several others do care what i have to say, because you keep responding, and defending your stance with opinion, and untrue statements. Fact of the matter is, he doesnt deserve to be given sainthood for running a business! I stand by my statements that the respect and honor some of you want to bestow on him, should be reserved for the real hero's doing the actual dirty work! Not a single one of you wants to actually do your research to find that what I am saying is factual, you want to defend your stance, based on your personal feelings! Thats fine, have at it, but facts are facts! If it werent for his government connections, and contracts, the FAA would have put him out of business many years ago, and you can take that one to the bank. He flies cargo, and people who cant talk, because anyone with common sense wouldnt fly in his aircraft! post #39

DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
So anybody non-union is a "scab"? You can stick that right straight up your a$$ fella.

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
You say you have facts, but all you have posted are remarks from disgruntled employees. I'm only guessing, but guessing these came from a union source being how you didn't cite you sources. Not many business' or careers are zero sum on having disgruntled employees.

Facts:

The airline provides domestic and international scheduled or on-demand cargo service and support for the requirements of the Department of Defense Air Mobility Command.

Kalitta Maintenance operates a Maintenance, Repair And Overhaul facility at Oscoda–Wurtsmith Airport in Iosco County, Michigan, United States, bringing over 1,000 jobs to the small Lake Huron Town of Oscoda.

In 1990 and 1991, AIA flew 600 missions in support of Desert Shield/Desert Storm.

Incidents and accidents

N704CK after an incident at Brussels Airport 2008
On August 18, 1993, American International Airways Flight 808, a Douglas DC-8-61 (N814CK) with three crew members on board struck level terrain 1,400 feet west of the approach end of the runway while landing at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The aircraft approached from the south and was making a right turn for runway 10 with an increasing angle of bank in order to align with the runway. At 200–300 feet AGL the wings started to rock towards wings level and the nose pitched up. The right wing appeared to stall, the aircraft rolled to 90-degree angle of bank and the nose pitched down. All 3 crew members survived with serious injuries, though the aircraft was completely destroyed by the impact and post-crash fire. Probable cause of the accident attributed primarily to the impaired judgment, decision-making, and flying abilities of the captain and flight crew due to the effects of fatigue resulting from extended flight/duty hours. This accident was also featured in the 2019 Season 19 of Mayday/Air Crash Investigation Episode Titled "Borderline Tactics".

On October 20, 2004, a Kalitta Air Boeing 747 (N709CK), with five crew members on board, experienced mechanical difficulties with one of the four engines and diverted to land safely at Detroit Metropolitan Airport. No one was injured. It was discovered after landing that the number 1 engine had separated from the airplane as it climbed through 16,000 feet over Lake Michigan. The engine was later recovered for inspection.

During the 2006 Israel-Lebanon conflict (2nd Lebanon war) Kalitta Air made weapon supply flights from the United States to Israel, via Prestwick Airport in Scotland for refueling, without authority from the United Kingdom Civil Aviation Authority. Scotland's Crown Office considered, but eventually decided against, prosecuting Kalitta Air for two July 2006 flights carrying laser-guided bombs.

On May 25, 2008, a Boeing 747-209F/SCD (N704CK),operating as Flight 207 overran runway 20 at Brussels Airport. The aircraft broke in three and came to a complete stop in a field bordering the runway. There were four crew members and one passenger on board, and no injuries were reported. The aircraft destined for Bahrain International Airport was loaded with 76 tons of goods, half of which was diplomatic mail. Belgian investigators announced that the accident was caused by the decision to reject the take-off 12 knots after passing V1 speed following a bird strike.[20][21] The Air Accident Investigation Unit (AAIU) of the Federal Public Service Mobility and Transport had investigated the accident.

On July 7, 2008, a Boeing 747-209B (N714CK), operating for Centurion Air Cargo as Flight 164 crashed shortly after departing from El Dorado International Airport in Bogotá at 3:55 a.m. The aircraft was en route to Miami, Florida, with a shipment of flowers. After reporting a fire in the number 4 engine, the crew attempted the return to the airport. However, after engine number 1 failed as well, the aircraft could not maintain altitude and crashed near the village of Madrid, Colombia. The aircraft's empennage hit a ranch house, killing a 50-year-old man and his 13-year-old son who lived there (a report of this crash on Airdisaster.com indicated a third fatality on the ground). The flight deck separated from the remainder of the aircraft, and the crew of eight survived with light to serious injuries while the rest of the airframe was consumed by fire.

On July 26, 2008, a Learjet 35, operating as Flight 66 declared an emergency, and it was later found that the pilot/crewmember whose transmissions got gradually slower, was suffering from hypoxia. He descended through 11,000 feet, and made a safe landing.

Not a bad 25 year record

Source:Wikipedia

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Look I support them all the way but I know for a fact one of their planes crashed just West of Baltimore/Washington airport. Elkridge, MD if I remember right. Should I tell you how many of these incidents I know of at this location from other companies? I have owned a home there on aviation blvd since 1970 so I have seen several including one that missed my home by 5 feet......But Conrad and Doug have served us for many years.

DRR Elite
Picture of Bill Koski
posted Hide Post
I remember one of Kaltta's ambulances crashing into a mountain in Colorado years ago.
It was either shortly before or soon after I made a trip on one of their ambulances in Michigan.

TAKE IT TO THE BANK!!!!!
Later, Bill Koski

Posts: 11005 | Location: LAS VEGAS. NEVADA, US of A | Registered: December 03, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Kalitta Airlines recently flew some stranded Americans back to the U.S... Good job and thanks for your service...

Could give 2 shyts about the rest...Because it DOESN'T matter...at least to me Full Moon

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4475 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
https://www.freep.com/story/ne...acuation/4610338002/