New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Hate Traveling
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
"...how many times have you driven on a four-lane highway; two lanes coming and going; where you’ve tried to get around a slower vehicle in the right lane, placed your left signal light on and the cars behind you speed up to block you from passing?"

https://dragracingedge.com/the-blog/i-hate-traveling/

Posts: 154 | Location: Beaver Springs, PA | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John DiBartolomeo:
"...how many times have you driven on a four-lane highway; two lanes coming and going; where you’ve tried to get around a slower vehicle in the right lane, placed your left signal light on and the cars behind you speed up to block you from passing?"

https://dragracingedge.com/the-blog/i-hate-traveling/

.....Several! I feel ya though. I have to drive about 1500 miles one way over christmas and I'm not looking forward to it!

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I think I drive 1500 miles over Christmas and never leave town.LOL

I use to drive Greensboro to Raleigh every day both ways. Defiantly shows you how stupid people are. Amazing the combination of words you can come up with in 75 miles.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4407 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
I think I drive 1500 miles over Christmas and never leave town.LOL

I use to drive Greensboro to Raleigh every day both ways. Defiantly shows you how stupid people are. Amazing the combination of words you can come up with in 75 miles.

HA! Getting up through the mountains makes you wonder about people....it amazes me how many people just don't understand all you have to do in snow is slow down.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Well said. People not only don't understand, they don't care. It's all about them 24/7 in a lot of cases. Driving larger vehicles particularly in the wind means sometimes using all of the lane. Yet cars will hover in your blind spot or along side somewhere and hug your lane. Like they have a point of ownership to prove or something.
But really some of the absolute worst offenders are big rigs. With a shortage today of truck drivers, they will put almost anyone behind the wheel of those things today. My FIL is a long time driver in his 70's with a pace maker and two bypass surgeries to date. And companies are lined up to keep him on the road. I digress. With truck governors like they are today, you can be 10 minutes behind a pair of trucks swapping speed beside each other with hills an a mile of traffic waiting on them in the left lane. You would think one of them would concede the spot. But no way.

The other real PITA for me when traveling is overnights. I must be doing it all wrong. I get an early start and drive into the evening. But by the time I really need some sleep, the rest stops are full out to the road. The truck stops are often full, and charge more than ever today so you can wrestle your middle pivot rig into a spot in complete darkness. Some Wal Marts won't send you packing today. Many throw you out as soon as they see you.

My family rides along comfortably, entertaining themselves. While I try to put a couple more hours down. I suppose the secret is to just take that extra day of vacation and take your time getting there. And another overnight and consuming water with showers.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6441 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Driving larger vehicles particularly in the wind means sometimes using all of the lane.

It amazes me the number of, well idiots, that don't understand a big rig is not a nimble car.

quote:
But really some of the absolute worst offenders are big rigs.

One time conditions had deteriorated to where big rigs couldn't get up a hill and they had 0 sympathy for the cars behind them. I finally got the drivers out of the way and inch wormed past them and up the hill. Blatant obstruction simply because "they" couldn't go.

But lord know there's plenty of stupid to go around.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2355 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
OP is the guy who thinks the gap I leave is for driving in. Mad

Posts: 529 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you just gotta make your own hole... A bit of trailer wag and some freak out lol

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1412 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Best way to stop tailgaters with trailer is slight run off road with few rocks on side. As state little rear wiggle with trailer will move them away from corner.

Never will cease to amaze me at idiots that ride beside tractor trailer at 75 mph and stay there. Simple math 3500# car, 80,000# truck,car will loose.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4407 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
After driving Tractor trailer and pulling doubles around the country I don't even want to drive to town. In todays world with everyone with dash cams the trailer wiggle will get you sent to the house. Driving sucks

Posts: 1527 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
If you hate traveling -Division 7 is not for you....
Driving a rig in Ca is an adventure! Boy do I have some stories!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4599 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:

Boy you got that right Barry. I remember my first time in LA with a 30 foot trailer. Best advice I got way back then was let the turn signal blink twice then start moving over. It was amazing how big of a hole you could make where there wasn't one. You could leave the turn signal on to change lanes for a mile and everyone would ignore it.

Here in Division 6 and 7, if you're not up for at least a 3 or 4 hour tow each way, you're not going to be racing much.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Burkleo:
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:

Boy you got that right Barry. I remember my first time in LA with a 30 foot trailer. Best advice I got way back then was let the turn signal blink twice then start moving over. It was amazing how big of a hole you could make where there wasn't one. You could leave the turn signal on to change lanes for a mile and everyone would ignore it.

Here in Division 6 and 7, if you're not up for at least a 3 or 4 hour tow each way, you're not going to be racing much.

Bwa ha ha! That's so true. Why do they even put those blinky things back there?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6441 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
In Iowa a lot of the two lane highways have gravel shoulders. When someone is tailgating us and running with bright lights on..we use the "gravel sandwich", that moves them back in about 5 seconds with two wheels of trailer over into the gravel.
For the last 15-20 years of motorhome / race car trailer travels we have always stayed at Walmarts with no problems, ever. We have a Walmart Road Atlas that has Walmart addresses. Works great. We just park on the outer edges and never put awning or slides out. Safer than a truck stop in my opinion as most Walmarts have security and parking lot cleaners during the night.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1226 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Your air horn is your friend.

Posts: 73 | Location: sand point, mi | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by samchev:
Your air horn is your friend.

Not quite.. Their sound system is louder, they can’t see through the smoke in the car or window tint much less slide up to see over the dash!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4599 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Toad1 knows. Walmart no slides out,pull in after 11:00pm,keep to the outer edges,gone in the morning.

Posts: 321 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SLICKSTER:
Toad1 knows. Walmart no slides out,pull in after 11:00pm,keep to the outer edges,gone in the morning.

Agreed! We have been doing this for 20 years or more.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post