DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    EV charging on the road
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
EV charging on the road
 Login/Join
 
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
A Honda 3000EU would be in the trunk!


From what I can gather, it's not powerful enough to charge one of these pieces of crap.

I could get behind a vehicle that is electric driven with a gasoline or diesel generator, like a locomotive.

Wasn't the Chevy Volt originally done that way?


Yes it was and a great vehicle!


Raceless in California!
 
Posts: 4535 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I find it very sad that this RACING site has become a uber right-wing cryin poster place -what a waste of time to come here Im done bye losers


The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid
 
Posts: 419 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
you ain't leaving. those that announce their departure, the drama queens like you never leave!
 
Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Beard:
quote:
LOL, yeah, the interwebs are a great source of real world, unbiased information.

I ask because of the video posted by that young lady, who was furious about the reality versus the BS she had been fed.
I think she was saying it was $45 or $50 bucks every 200 miles or so, and the hours of travel time wasted finding a charge


Re-read your post, but slowly...


That is exactly why I asked the question here, where I felt like a might get a real world, accurate answer. Roll Eyes


"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375
 
Posts: 1703 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vetman:
I find it very sad that this RACING site has become a uber right-wing cryin poster place -what a waste of time to come here Im done bye losers


If you're learning from libtards, it doesn't make you smart. It makes you uber stupid.

Education never made anyone smart, just educated.

The smartest people I know, didn't need college. Some went, but only because it was expected and encouraged. These people had common sense and the ability to call out bull**** when they saw it.

I hope you're done. Go to your safe place and try not to melt.



ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Posts: 560 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I watched a video on you tube of this lady charging her tesla in some unknown dudes driveway at his Tesla installed charging station. He comes outside and ask this lady what she is doing, she says "I'm charging my car ,this site is listed on tesla website as a charging location". He's like really, well it's cool go ahead but this is my personal station. WTF No way some total stranger would be running my light bill up. So Goob to answer your question, it won't cost you a penny if you use a tesla owners charging station. Apparently locations are listed on the website.
I did see a station at a hotel in Kentucky 2.50 per hour.
 
Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vetman:
I find it very sad that this RACING site has become a uber right-wing cryin poster place -what a waste of time to come here Im done bye losers

quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
you ain't leaving. those that announce their departure, the drama queens like you never leave!


I somewhat agree with ED; you announce your departure but my money is you'll be back.

Now, for ED! The drama queen of all queen's; QUEENY!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: B KING,


1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436
 
Posts: 2604 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vetman:
I find it very sad that this RACING site has become a uber right-wing cryin poster place -what a waste of time to come here Im done bye losers


Common sense, knowledge and wisdom have not moved. You just found yourself on the left sliding train and didn't hop off it. The brain washing has taken a good hold it seems. You will find RACERS of all levels of knowledge and education here. They are all wrong and you are right? C'mon.


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6421 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Mitchell:
I watched a video on you tube of this lady charging her tesla in some unknown dudes driveway at his Tesla installed charging station. He comes outside and ask this lady what she is doing, she says "I'm charging my car ,this site is listed on tesla website as a charging location". He's like really, well it's cool go ahead but this is my personal station. WTF No way some total stranger would be running my light bill up. So Goob to answer your question, it won't cost you a penny if you use a tesla owners charging station. Apparently locations are listed on the website.
I did see a station at a hotel in Kentucky 2.50 per hour.


Hmmmmm, $2.50 per hour.
I'll assume it was for registered guests only.


"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375
 
Posts: 1703 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vetman:
I find it very sad that this RACING site has become a uber right-wing cryin poster place -what a waste of time to come here Im done bye losers


Triggered!!!! Laughing Hard

But, being a right wing Neadrethal, you will have to explain to me how asking an honest question about the EV charging cost is "uber right-wing cryin'".

Apparently you've "been done" for some time, Lemming.


"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375
 
Posts: 1703 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of CrewMan
posted Hide Post
About the question earlier on load and sizing.....

For a 4 charger commercial application....it required us to install a step down transformer from the main motor control center (which by the way these things used one entire bucket in that thing) and then put in an additional 250A 208v panel in - with a dedictaed 40A breaker for each station. Think about that...and this is for a commercial application...so your hotels and other charging places will be similar.

Not every business has that amount of open power to take from and residential applications....unless you worked with the power company if you custom built will even come close to having that much power available in a residence. Most homes have 100-150A service distributed through the house anyway and a good portion of that is taken up through dedicated circuitry for washers, dryers, HVAC equipment, microwaves, ovens etc...

So if someone wants to "up" their home service for one of these charging stations they are looking at a pretty significant investment and residential power work is a total PITA because NOBODY has any idea how much load they actually suck up until it's to late and it becomes the OH S H Y T....what circuit can we live without.

You wouldn't need the giant equipment I had to install but you will most likely need to increase service amperage, which will likely require a new panel and re wiring...and then either an exterior station or dedicated circuitry in the garage or outside to charge. Toss in underground fees, permits, etc....it just doesn't work.

I don't have a problem with these applications....I think it is kinda cool...but overall....something like is this NEVER a savings....it is an investment with a very long if ever and ROI based on the useful life of a car or a system such as this.

CLASS DISMISSED! Big Grin


"Some things are better left unsaid... usually it's the S**T I blurt out first.
 
Posts: 116 | Location: Loveland, Ohio | Registered: September 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CrewMan:
About the question earlier on load and sizing.....

For a 4 charger commercial application....it required us to install a step down transformer from the main motor control center (which by the way these things used one entire bucket in that thing) and then put in an additional 250A 208v panel in - with a dedictaed 40A breaker for each station. Think about that...and this is for a commercial application...so your hotels and other charging places will be similar.

Not every business has that amount of open power to take from and residential applications....unless you worked with the power company if you custom built will even come close to having that much power available in a residence. Most homes have 100-150A service distributed through the house anyway and a good portion of that is taken up through dedicated circuitry for washers, dryers, HVAC equipment, microwaves, ovens etc...

So if someone wants to "up" their home service for one of these charging stations they are looking at a pretty significant investment and residential power work is a total PITA because NOBODY has any idea how much load they actually suck up until it's to late and it becomes the OH S H Y T....what circuit can we live without.

You wouldn't need the giant equipment I had to install but you will most likely need to increase service amperage, which will likely require a new panel and re wiring...and then either an exterior station or dedicated circuitry in the garage or outside to charge. Toss in underground fees, permits, etc....it just doesn't work.

I don't have a problem with these applications....I think it is kinda cool...but overall....something like is this NEVER a savings....it is an investment with a very long if ever and ROI based on the useful life of a car or a system such as this.

CLASS DISMISSED! Big Grin


Pretty much answered my questions! Thanks Crewman!


Raceless in California!
 
Posts: 4535 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CrewMan:
About the question earlier on load and sizing.....

For a 4 charger commercial application....it required us to install a step down transformer from the main motor control center (which by the way these things used one entire bucket in that thing) and then put in an additional 250A 208v panel in - with a dedictaed 40A breaker for each station. Think about that...and this is for a commercial application...so your hotels and other charging places will be similar.

Not every business has that amount of open power to take from and residential applications....unless you worked with the power company if you custom built will even come close to having that much power available in a residence. Most homes have 100-150A service distributed through the house anyway and a good portion of that is taken up through dedicated circuitry for washers, dryers, HVAC equipment, microwaves, ovens etc...

So if someone wants to "up" their home service for one of these charging stations they are looking at a pretty significant investment and residential power work is a total PITA because NOBODY has any idea how much load they actually suck up until it's to late and it becomes the OH S H Y T....what circuit can we live without.

You wouldn't need the giant equipment I had to install but you will most likely need to increase service amperage, which will likely require a new panel and re wiring...and then either an exterior station or dedicated circuitry in the garage or outside to charge. Toss in underground fees, permits, etc....it just doesn't work.

I don't have a problem with these applications....I think it is kinda cool...but overall....something like is this NEVER a savings....it is an investment with a very long if ever and ROI based on the useful life of a car or a system such as this.

CLASS DISMISSED! Big Grin


I'm not going to argue against anything you said, but you don't NEED any of that to charge a car. You can just plug 'er into any existing 120V outlet, or get much faster charging with a conventional 240V outlet.


Tony Leonard
 
Posts: 3172 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
About standing up complaining about ultra liberal policies some would just turn around bend over and take it.

I am going to stand up and fight. I am going to complain about it, I am going to vote to support our Freedom and I am not going to comply.


https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion
 
Posts: 4062 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
120 volt yes but… only 2-3 miles of charge per hour! That’s Tesla’s print..


Raceless in California!
 
Posts: 4535 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BP758:
120 volt yes but… only 2-3 miles of charge per hour! That’s Tesla’s print..


The lower the voltage, the more inefficient it becomes.

I used to set up skids of automotive batteries for charging. 240v DC @ 6 A for 18 12v batteries connected in series. 24 hr to charge, 24 hr to rest, test and sort the bad ones.
Anyway, it was a HUGE electric bill to run 6 chargers.


"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375
 
Posts: 1703 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
You get a roof rack then put a harbour freight generator on top filled with $5 gallon gas and your set if pelosi turns your power off.
 
Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of CrewMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
You get a roof rack then put a harbour freight generator on top filled with $5 gallon gas and your set if pelosi turns your power off.


Laughing Hard


"Some things are better left unsaid... usually it's the S**T I blurt out first.
 
Posts: 116 | Location: Loveland, Ohio | Registered: September 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
AAA approved

 
Posts: 2448 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Great. Diesel powered truck to charge an EV. Show me the money.
 
Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  
 

DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    EV charging on the road

© DragRaceResults.com 2024