DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Starter Solenoid for A Generac Q55G Generator
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starter Solenoid for A Generac Q55G Generator
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
The starter, or more than likely the solenoid, for the Generac Q55G (5500 watt) generator in my motorhome died last weekend and I am trying to locate a new one. If a solenoid from another brand (Kohler, Onan, etc) will work I might be easier to find one of them. Our local generator repair facility closed their doors last month and no one in our area works on Generac units or has parts for them.

If this can't be repaired I am forced to either try and install an Onan or scrap a really nice coach. In either event this will be VERY expensive.

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
This one will work...
It's used on a number of small engine powered machines

Miller used it on some of theirs as well

The Generac is similar in sze.

Rewire as needed

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25584...1c3f65e9d5a8329b7c28

Sounds familiar.......shop doors closing.....I'm on that road right now....LOL....Coasting right on out.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rich:

What will they need to rewire to make the Miller solenoid work?

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Probably not much....

Wire ends possibly....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Generac Q55G

You might check these out.

Starter

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
quote:
Generac Q55G

You might check these out.

Starter

I miss read, thought you said starter..

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
The starters on those sound terrible even when everything is ok..

The solenoid can be tested thru the access door and replaced if bad

Replacing the starter is a lot more difficult...can't be done without pulling the machine out and apart if I recall right

Generac design engineers must have went to lets make it as difficult as possible school just to do a simple job.

They outdid themselves on the last POS I worked on a while back...

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I've had the starter replaced two or three times and you are correct it's a PITA and the labor charge is very expensive. From the way it acts (no sound when you push the starter button)it sounds more like the solenoid. Here's hoping it's the solenoid.

Thanks for the help Rich.

Bob