New
Find
Notify
Tools

First or Final
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
This one track somewhat close to me is trying something a few times this year.
Bracket race with $100 entry fee. If you win first round,you get the $100 back.
However, there is no additional money awarded unless you get to the final.
Just curious as to what others think about this?
I have an opinion,but I don't want to influence another opinion.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
We had one at our local track. Got our $100 back. Didn't make any more. Not my favorite.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I would not like that but at least they are trying something.

Around here all bracket races are now 1/8 mile. I would like to do some 1/4 mile bracket racing or even 1000" racing.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4017 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Designed for people who focus on money, as opposed to focusing on racing and having fun.

Public service announcement, if turning a profit is your motive, racing is a really, really bad idea.

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The way folks play bracket racing as strictly a money game these days, I'll guarantee you that many of the folks who enter those races agree that the first round winner will pay the first round loser $50 before they leave the staging lanes. And then, first round is simply a timerun, just like when they agree to "split the b*yback" beforehand. Yawn. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I'd probably try it, I'd basically be betting that I don't line up against a guy with traction control for one round, because once you get into the deep rounds at an outlaw track, well, you know..

Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Ticket:
I'd probably try it, I'd basically be betting that I don't line up against a guy with traction control for one round, because once you get into the deep rounds at an outlaw track, well, you know..
If you can’t run dead on with all the good shyt that is out there now WITHOUT traction control you need to fix your JUNK…

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure Royce Miller tried a race like that in the 90/00's.
I think it was $1000 to enter.
I don't think it was well attended or if it ever happened.
Maybe someone remembers more about it.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M120:
I'm pretty sure Royce Miller tried a race like that in the 90/00's.
I think it was $1000 to enter.
I don't think it was well attended or if it ever happened.
Maybe someone remembers more about it.

Yeah, Royce had one at MIR back in the day. I went to it but the weather wasn't in our favor and people were reluctant to buy back. Consider it like a gamblers race except you get you entry back if you win first round. Nothing saying you can't split the purse with 4 or 8 cars, just no round money.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 741 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Ticket:
If you can’t run dead on with all the good shyt that is out there now WITHOUT traction control you need to fix your JUNK…

So traction control is ineffective as long as you have good syht. Good to know.

Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
That's just grudge racing.
A pair make the bet, winner takes it.

The first round losers fund the final round purse?

Sounds weird to me.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
split the buyback ..win win

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Not like the above but how about the track making the check out for what the flyer says and send a 1099 to whoever wins what ever amount. If you win 100k and split so you only end up with 50k you still get the 100k 1099. Pay what the flyer says and send the 1099 the same way.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I've been saying that forever but no promotor will do it because they fear they won't get the cars and they won't because you can't put the genie back in the bottle.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
The way folks play bracket racing as strictly a money game these days, I'll guarantee you that many of the folks who enter those races agree that the first round winner will pay the first round loser $50 before they leave the staging lanes. And then, first round is simply a timerun, just like when they agree to "split the b*yback" beforehand. Yawn. Take care. Tom Worthington

I didn't see any of that at the FOF race I was at.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 67TSCHEVY2:
split the buyback ..win win

Technically lose lose really

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Not like the above but how about the track making the check out for what the flyer says and send a 1099 to whoever wins what ever amount. If you win 100k and split so you only end up with 50k you still get the 100k 1099. Pay what the flyer says and send the 1099 the same way.

Because nobody would go?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:

Because nobody would go?

Have to agree with Bucky on that one.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4017 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Racers absolutely will go, just won’t get 400 racers because most everybody that goes to these events HOPES to get to the round of 16 for the split. Hope is not a strategy and the fact is maybe 15% of the competitors have the skills and the car to make the round of 16 at any of these events. The other 85% are just contributors to the pot and in the way!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
The other 85% are just contributors to the pot and in the way![/QUOTE]

Yeah, but Ponzi schemes don't work without the contributors Smile

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post