DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Big $$ Footbrake Races
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big $$ Footbrake Races
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I attended a large footbrake race recently and noticed multiple strategies on "bumping in". So out of curiosity i wanted to ask the question, really geared towards promoters etc. When you have a "Footbrake" only race... what type of starting line enhancers would you allow if any?

Posts: 14 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Not a promoter here but a racer. If it is a footbreak race it s self-explanatory. Once you are staged your car is controled by your feet in regards to take off. It keeps it simple as to the racers having talant and manual control of when to apply the power at the hit in reguards to reaction time.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
At the present time, mechanical devices to hold the launch rpm at a certain level are permitted everywhere I have raced...anything electric/electronic is specifically prohibited...

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Note he said foot brake---not no box. In both air --electric shifters are also permitted. How you doin Fuzz?

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Just has my curiosity up i guess. Is there a SLE out there or some type of design to where a foot breaker can control the launch rpm, with the gas pedal to the floor, then basically just dumping the brake pedal kind of like a clutch pedal?

Posts: 14 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Simple answer: No, not in foot brake

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fuzzy dice:
At the present time, mechanical devices to hold the launch rpm at a certain level are permitted everywhere I have raced...anything electric/electronic is specifically prohibited...

Whether allowed, or not allowed, that's NOT foot braking.

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
quote:

Why not? If you let go of the foot brake when the light comes on, how is it not foot braking?

I don't think anyone can make a rational argument it's not foot braking. if there's a rev limiter in play.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Foot Brake rules at a local to me NHRA track:

Sportsman 1/4 mile 11.00 or slower: ( Summit ET Bracket Finals will still run at 12.00 or slower)
Delay Device ~ No
Trans Brake ~ No
Line Lock ~ Yes
Two Step ~ No (high-side chip only)
Air/Electric Shifters ~ RPM Activated only or OEM
Mufflers required ~ No
No Open Bodied and/or Open Wheel Vehicles permitted
Rear Suspension Limitations ~ OEM with bolt on components only

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
A few years ago a local racer had a manual choke on a Holley carb (cable actuated) but the choke flap was removed from the air horn. Cable was being used only to raise starting line RPM. It was deemed illegal. But, rules have gotten progressively looser over the last few years. One of my local NHRA tracks doesn't even have posted rules (or at least none I can find).

Mike

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Why not? If you let go of the foot brake when the light comes on, how is it not foot braking?

I don't think anyone can make a rational argument it's not foot braking. if there's a rev limiter in play.

quote:
Foot Brake rules at a local to me NHRA track:

Sportsman 1/4 mile 11.00 or slower: ( Summit ET Bracket Finals will still run at 12.00 or slower)
Delay Device ~ No
Trans Brake ~ No
Line Lock ~ Yes
Two Step ~ No (high-side chip only)
Air/Electric Shifters ~ RPM Activated only or OEM
Mufflers required ~ No
No Open Bodied and/or Open Wheel Vehicles permitted
Rear Suspension Limitations ~ OEM with bolt on components only

I still don't think anyone can make a rational case it's not foot brake, just because a rev limiter is used.

You're still foot braking it. It's not a subjective (opinion) matter.

I think a lot of rules exist that don't make a damn bit of sense, and they exist, because people who don't know a damn thing about drag racing made them up, because they could. With most of them made to placate participants, who are at the same level of misunderstanding. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Well Mike I have never entered in to any of your opinions BUT. If you foot brake as I have for over 50 years (in the beginning that is all there was)you would know that what you suggest just don't fly and the reasons for these rules is to keep it as pure as they can. I raced in FL the last 2 years and foot brake was just that. No box as Fuzzy can tell you allows SOME electronics. WFC, Loose Rocker races are just that, foot brake. My car was checked last year for a trans brake button at one of these added purse foot brake races, they do check.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
The way some of you are talking you could run a Transbrake, two step or what ever as long as it is "Foot" operated and it still "FootBraking"? No, it is No Electronics. Most all tracks allow electric shifters and I agree with that.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fo'braker:
Just has my curiosity up i guess. Is there a SLE out there or some type of design to where a foot breaker can control the launch rpm, with the gas pedal to the floor, then basically just dumping the brake pedal kind of like a clutch pedal?

Not in any race that is advertised as pure footbrake. There are some that use a throttle cable that is set at an RPM level that they want to footbrake at and then they release it when they launch. Has to be hand activated and not electronic. https://www.facebook.com/marke...d&referral_code=null

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Mike you make a good point. And I do use an SLE when I am racing no box (pro) with the trans brake. But I think (in my thinking) that a cable to set rpm in foot brake is as far as it goes. What I believe the point is to keep it as simple and old school as possible. You have a valid point just like hooking the trans brake to release when the brake pedal is released and on a pressure switch when the pressure drops below 10 psi. its releasing with the foot brake pedal. Not an option as lets keep it simple and fair. Car leaves when you swap feet.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Eman thank you for the link. It looks interesting but seems like it would be difficult to use, or maybe not difficult but maybe not necessary? I've never been real specific with rpms at staging, basically go by feel, sound of motor, way the car reacts to the bump in etc. I recon you could really get more precise and tune yourself or car into the tree. Its very interesting.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
As Eman says most, the word is most, foot brake races allow a mechanical method of setting starting line RPM. For awhile I used a cable type control but found it to be more trouble than it was worth. PA racer Brock Mosher had the best set up I ever saw. I still think some competitors have some electrical and mechanical devices that aren't supposed to be used. I come to race not worry about this kind of BS. I use a digital tach for staging.

DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
For the record I don't care or mind if racers use a mechanical device to control starting line RPM, just discussing what I've observed over the years.

Mike

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Well Mike I have never entered in to any of your opinions BUT. If you foot brake as I have for over 50 years (in the beginning that is all there was)you would know that what you suggest just don't fly and the reasons for these rules is to keep it as pure as they can. I raced in FL the last 2 years and foot brake was just that. No box as Fuzzy can tell you allows SOME electronics. WFC, Loose Rocker races are just that, foot brake. My car was checked last year for a trans brake button at one of these added purse foot brake races, they do check.

Anyone caught cheating with a delay box in foot brake should receive as an incentive, a lifetime permanent retirement package.

You'd have to be a total scum bag to try to get away with anything like that. I can't imagine being that weak, to stoop to that level, to pretend you won something.

I'm not promoting or even suggesting anything for foot brake, I don't care one way or the other.

But I've seen in car camera Stock or Super Stock using a rev limiter, and stepping off the foot brake, on the bottom.

That's foot braking it, if they were to cheat and use a delay box, it's not foot braking it.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If you're running a delay box in foot brake, you're lying to every single person in the race and at the race track, during the race.

Do people actually do this? Seriously?

Is it considered slick to lie everyone out of their money in 2021?

I think it is.

You get caught with a delay box in foot brake, you get permanent retirement from all classes.