DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Should I cut Cage out or Fix what I have?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I cut Cage out or Fix what I have?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I just picked up a car, and the welds on the cage look terrible. I would assume the entire cage was stick welded together, due to the spatter. There is nothing wrong with the welds as far as chassis strength goes, they just look terrible, because they weren't cleaned up before painting. Question is, do I try to clean up what I have and repaint it, or just cut out what is there, call S & W, and replace anything that looks bad?

Has anyone been in this situation before? What way was easier/less time consuming. An Entire new 10 point kit from S & W is only 785 bucks anyway, but I'd rather spend that cash on a dash, carpet, new seat, etc to dress the car up if I don't need to go that route.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
If you plan to certify the car and the cage has been stick welded you will either have to cut it apart and reweld or get a replacement and start from scratch.
Cages can only be mig or tig welded for certification.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Just for your info. IHRA requires certification at 6.0 or 150 mph in the 1/8 mile.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3336 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
That carpet etc won't save your life but that cage just may. Mine was built by S&W and has went right NHRA cert several times. I know bracket racers don't get checked but I personally have seen 2 killed in cars with BS welded and installed cages. Fix it right.

Posts: 6247 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just looked on S & W's site and if I have to cut everything out anyway, I might as well just get the full tube chassis kit with funny car cage for 2300 bucks or so. Only thing I'd need is struts and everything should transfer over.

Not to mention I'd think it would make it worth about 5-7k more depending on the person.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:
Just looked on S & W's site and if I have to cut everything out anyway, I might as well just get the full tube chassis kit with funny car cage for 2300 bucks or so. Only thing I'd need is struts and everything should transfer over.

Not to mention I'd think it would make it worth about 5-7k more depending on the person.

If you go that route and plan to certify 7.50 1/4 mile, I would recommend you get the SFI manual to ensure you do it right. Just because it will have a funny car cage doesn't mean it will cert to 7.50

I'm making assumptions here as I have no clue as to your plans. Basing my responses on what you are writing.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3336 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Holytown, when these 2 guys speak you should listen. I think Covey was a tech inspector for several years and I believe Ferndale beat Fred Flinstone in the first bracket ever. Lol Just kidding Fern, but seriously take their advice I don't think you can go wrong there. Good luck with your Build...

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Fred was cheatin Tim, round wheels weren't legal yet.

Posts: 6247 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
Fern's first race.

Posts: 4824 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Holytown, you knew the correct answer before you asked the question.....

Posts: 2516 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Holytown, you knew the correct answer before you asked the question.....

Big Facts....

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1413 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
If the welds are not right...What makes you think the tubing material is right, or it is engineered right? Everything has a spec for a reason.

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1226 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post