DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    For all of the wannabe dragstrip owners
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For all of the wannabe dragstrip owners
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
We almost got St. Pete, boy but I'm glad we didn't!!

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
Try to build one for that.

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 297 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
To replace the guardrail with concrete barriers would cost more than the asking price.

Would be cool for a wealthy guys personal playground though.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
It seems like a bargain to me.

Several years I worked a on a local effort to build a track for the Longview/Tyler Texas trade area. With a very sharp pencil put to the cost and nothing fancy, just a nice, basic facility, we needed $1,600,000.00. I expect that number would be $2,000,000. plus, now.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1833 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
It seems like a bargain to me.

Several years I worked a on a local effort to build a track for the Longview/Tyler Texas trade area. With a very sharp pencil put to the cost and nothing fancy, just a nice, basic facility, we needed $1,600,000.00. I expect that number would be $2,000,000. plus, now.

Rumor has it Clyde Scott spent 6.5 million building XRP 5 years ago and as you know it is a premier 1/8 mile facility

Posts: 2428 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Steve, I expect that number is accurate and it is as you say, a top tiere facility.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1833 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M120:
To replace the guardrail with concrete barriers would cost more than the asking price.

Would be cool for a wealthy guys personal playground though.

Most tracks anywhere near here have guardrails, only place you'll find concrete is Bristol.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Armco guardrails = shytholes where death waits!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
That may be true Eman but I wouldn't feel comfortable owning a track that had Armco due to the liability and possibility of someone loosing there life. Cars at speed and momentum is like launching them off a trampoline. Armco work on hi-ways to keep people out of ditches at lower speeds.

No one is going build a track without concrete these days. 31 acres seems small as well. I'm not familiar with the local area either.

Not that I should be concerned, I'm not in the market.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: M120,

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
If a genie popped out of a bottle and gifted me a free drag strip, there's still no way I would put up with all the hassles associated with running it.

I'm very thankful for the people who currently own and/or promote racing, and I'll just leave it at that.

Mike

Posts: 1563 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
If a genie popped out of a bottle and gifted me a free drag strip, there's still no way I would put up with all the hassles associated with running it.

I'm very thankful for the people who currently own and/or promote racing, and I'll just leave it at that.

100%... I always said that if a friend told me he was thinking about buying a dragstrip that I would tell him he was out of his mind.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 629 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Looking at the photos I don't see how that track was a 1/4 at one time. Also if you fixed it up and really built up the car count, where would/could they pit?
But for 600k I'd like to go look it over just to buy it for a homesite with a dragstrip in your backyard. HMMMM

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
That's exactly what! I tried to say imakehp. I edited my earlier post two times but didn't work.

Granted I don't know the area.

First have enough cash to purchase outright. Gotta already have the money for everything and maintain. Do not purchase to make an income or for it to be open to the public. Your own playground!

Build a nice house with plenty of garage space, add a stocked pond, stripper poles, helipad, greenhouses and other amenities.

I'm thinking you would be a little over a 1.5 million once done.

People are paying 2+ million for 50' X 125' lots at the Jersey shore.
Location, location, location.

I'm a little shy of that #☹️ but there's plenty of ballers here that should jump on the opportunity for a second or third house.

Cool

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great facility for aggressive finish line driving......

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Well since it states there is a lease holder you are just buying the business of the racetrack, not the land etc it sits on. So is $600K still a bargain? At least that's how IO read the article.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Well lets see... Rt 66 consisted of i believe 4-6 investors. Over $22 MIL to build. Give or take.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

X2
The main thing that hurts most dragstrips, is drag racers…

Posts: 403 | Location: a race track near you | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a little different take. Having been a business owner, I can tell you the range of customers I had isn't all that different than the customers that the dragstrip puts up with. The difference is the expectation. Folks expect that if you open up a new playground for folks who enjoy the same thing you do, they will all show up and sing Kumbaya together and always get along........Get real! It's a business. Some of your customers are going to want things others don't. Some will have unreasonable expectations. Some will be a22h0les. Just like in every other business. To expect otherwise is setting yourself up for disappointment.

A very good friend of mine asked me questions about buying our local drag strip. I told him as much as I think he would be a great owner and operator, I thought it was a bad idea money wise. He bought it, and it trying his best to prove me wrong. And I'm doing everything I can to make him successful as well. It's a tough gig with lots of risks. But folks at this track haven't had this much fun for decades frankly. I have said it before and will again.....One of the needed ingredients for making a track successful is providing an opportunity and environment for fun.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6406 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
Well since it states there is a lease holder you are just buying the business of the racetrack, not the land etc it sits on. So is $600K still a bargain? At least that's how IO read the article.

You are buying the land, the lease owner has the business.
I've been to the track for almost 30 years and I don't think it was ever 1/4 mi, there's a lake at the end of it.
There is a subdivision where the entrance is, still has lots for sale to build a house close to a track.