DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Wild Horse Pass Summit team last race
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wild Horse Pass Summit team last race
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted
Saturday’s team race will be this be it’s last!The name of the track has change but for now the Indian owners are closing it down for a different Direction that doesn’t include any of the 4 different tracks on the property! A sad closing for the Phoenix area.

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I keep hearing rumors about it not being closed down. I am sure they are just that and its sad to see it go as we are about out of racetracks around here. We have a world class facility here in Vegas that's RARELY used anymore and more and more of the facility is being used to park Amazon trailers. Sure hope it's not a sign.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Again, what we do is dying, some refuse to believe it, but there’s no denying it. There’s not enough racers in many areas to keep these tracks open and profitable and for some the land has become too valuable to ignore its worth any longer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Ed is right on this one and I have been saying that for many years.

I think there was about 5 times more racers every week in 2003 than there is here in 2023. This did not happen over night and do not think it is going to ever turn around.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4017 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mark Yeager
posted Hide Post
So sad, racing is dying on the west coast. Wild Horse, Sacramento done this year, Sonoma barely has drag races. Not quite sure how we will be able to chase NHRA points anymore in California/Arizona

Mark Yeager

Posts: 1380 | Location: Hollister,CA | Registered: April 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I've been working in the Phoenix area for the last 10yrs. Seeing it's the 6th largest metro area in the country, with a large number of drag racers. I found it to be strange they didn't have any strong bracket racing programs or more facilities. I was told the city shut down some smaller tracks. And the previous manager/lessor of the WHP track had a strong weekly program and built the track to what it is today. I was told that when it was time to renew the lease the Tribe raised the lease to where it was impossible to make it feasible. They took over running the track and it went down hill from there. This is just second hand info from many locals but I have witnessed it personally. Tucson seems to be doing ok since Hughes bought it, so it's possible to run a track in the area. I think the NHRA need to focus on these large markets and help figure out how they/we can keep these large tracks running. Otherwise the pros will have nowhere to run! It's not possible to run a facility that size on one or two events a year anymore. I live and race in middle TN and have around 10 tracks within 3hrs. The one that closed was Memphis which was too big to be supported by the local program,same as Phoenix.

Jason Compton

Posts: 34 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Jason , good post! A few things I hear Saturday will be on top of the Rumor list. First one a top guy let it slip the track my be rebranded again . And it was one of the top
Operators who may be involved.
Jason one statement you made that the track could not stay in business with just two National events. Years ago Charlie told me that’s what kept the track open for years.

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
The bigger they are the harder they fall. Big tracks require a lot of money and the property is in areas with rising property values that make it more valuable for other uses. Small tracks seem to be doing good if they have management that runs the track and can adapt.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I attended races in the 80s and raced at Firebird in the early to mid 90s while Charlie Allen owned it. This years National was the first time I had been back there since 1994. A lot of things at the track were the same as I remembered it and there were also a lot of improvements.
The thing I noticed the most was all the development around the track, back in the 90s it was still out in the desert for the most part. and now it is surrounded by development.
During the opening ceremonies on Sunday, the president of the Indian nation gave a speech about the future development plans and what it will mean to the local economy. The whole time the crowd was chanting save out track save our track and he wasn't even phased by this.
Based on what I saw and heard, I just don't see the track being rebranded again.
The one thing it has going for it is, besides the dragstrip, it has the road course and Bondurant driving school, the lake for boat racing and a motocross/offroad track to bring in income

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:

The one thing it has going for it is, besides the dragstrip, it has the road course and Bondurant driving school, the lake for boat racing and a motocross/offroad track to bring in income

I wonder all the time why the rest of the facility is not being used.

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2035 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I heard through local sources that the freeway off ramp has been stopped in planning for another 5 yrs. The funds originally were from the federal gov. for the freeway widening and off ramp, but the fed's have backed out and put it in the hands of state and local gov. So this has really slowed down the advertised reason of closing the track down for an off ramp. I also heard that the family have a few members that would like to keep the track. This is not written in stone I'm sure, but if true?? does change the planning a lot.

Posts: 146 | Location: california | Registered: November 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post