DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Ezells Reply to Broken Chassis Fiasco
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ezells Reply to Broken Chassis Fiasco
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Glad they didn't let that car go down the track.. This was a MAJOR repair and to do it 100% correct would require more then 20 mins and a tiny ass welder... Just my thoughts

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1404 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
The break was in an uncertified area of the car. NHRA chassis certification has nothing to do with that area. That area can be held together by nuts and bolts as it often is and still be a certified chassis

The cars at the race weren’t being teched in the first place....

So that makes it OK then???

Laughing Hard

Considering that the next morning the car would have passed a tech inspection by an NHRA official, then yes

Posts: 795 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Brian, the little welder is a Forney 90 amp tig welder Welding at 68 amps using er80s-2 rods and 100% Argon it does a nice job on the .058 4130. This little welder has welded on just about every brand chassis at some point, at the track, without a complaint. Your more than welcome to come by and check it out next time our paths cross at the track, maybe the million.

Posts: 10 | Location: Ventress La. | Registered: December 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
The break was in an uncertified area of the car. NHRA chassis certification has nothing to do with that area. That area can be held together by nuts and bolts as it often is and still be a certified chassis

Laughing Hard

Considering that the next morning the car would have passed a tech inspection by an NHRA official, then yes

I don’t think it would have passed NHRA tech inspection unless the ratchet straps where SFI certified and up to date.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh so NHRA tech inspection = safe. I didn't realize those guys had xray vision.

Seriously. Has there been enough complaining about this DQ of a car that most people wouldn't put their kids in? Just because you can patch something up doesn't make it a proper repair nor safe to risk not only the life of the driver, but also the other driver's live. Complain all you want. It was the right call.

Let me ask this: If a car passes tech, and the driver was seen by others including track officials that day consuming alcohol heavily....should the track let him race? No breathalyzer available. They know he is intoxicated, but the tech official didn't notice it. If you are paying the bills at that track, do you let that driver drive knowing what you know? How would you feel about racing against him? He may be sobered up by now and probably won't crash the car.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
This post is not meant to offend anyone...if it does...SORRY.

Like it or not JOHNNY will be back with the same chassis (fully repaired) by the same young man.

HE will prolly wear most of your a s s e s out with blue Jean's on, no gloves or neck collar, no arm restraints on while DONKEY kicking that some ***** from 330 to the stripe with normalcy winning the round.

If you dont like the repair at that time...no one will give a rat's a s s.

If you dont agree, dont like him, hate him, or simply want to find a reason or 10 to state a reason for him not to race...you'll be disappointed.

JUST stating the facts for you all...UNTIL BIG MONEY racing has legitimate TECH this obviously will occur weekly...LIKE it or not.

Lots of un safe race cars out there weekly...like it or not.

Can't say I agree with it all just stating the facts of it all.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Even if you disagree with the decision not to let the repaired car race, I think you have to respect the position the tech guy is in and gracefully accept his decision. He is in a tough spot. Shake hands, load up, go home and fix it right. Go get 'em next week.

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
That's exactly what occurred...

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by green1:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Laughing Hard

I don’t think it would have passed NHRA tech inspection unless the ratchet straps where SFI certified and up to date.

He would have been fine if he had some $150 ratchet strap tethers. SFI approved, of course.

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It's funny how things never change. Years ago I was held up and had my car looked over by a so called tech official before I was allowed to run at 6 cars in a $5K race. Why? I broke a convertor the previous round. I changed convertors in 17 minutes the angry mob of losers (most of whom had been eliminated in this race several rounds earlier) were saying there was no way I could "safely" change a convertor that fast. Then..... after they couldn't find any reason to keep me from racing the other 5 racers left (who were part of the mob) wanted to split. I told them I wouldn't split a pepsi with them, then won the race.

Johnny, if you read this. Fix your car however you think it needs to be fixed....then put some duct tape on it.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woody B:
It's funny how things never change. Years ago I was held up and had my car looked over by a so called tech official before I was allowed to run at 6 cars in a $5K race. Why? I broke a convertor the previous round. I changed convertors in 17 minutes the angry mob of losers (most of whom had been eliminated in this race several rounds earlier) were saying there was no way I could "safely" change a convertor that fast. Then..... after they couldn't find any reason to keep me from racing the other 5 racers left (who were part of the mob) wanted to split. I told them I wouldn't split a pepsi with them, then won the race.

Johnny, if you read this. Fix your car however you think it needs to be fixed....then put some duct tape on it.

Thats awesome.... For curiositys sake, was that 17 minutes including the 5 minutes cussing at the trans tunnel?
USA

Only thing i have to add to that is leave the ratchet binders on the car as well.

Posts: 236 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Boucher would never say that if he knew Woodrow or his equipment Big Grin

Posts: 6215 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woody B:

So what was the suggested unsafe part? The fact you knew your car well or you where not just leisurely working on car and bench racing with others?

So you bust ass and getting ready in time and others(probably already lost) get upset ,because they can not do it. Now thats funny.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
'

Chris, I am just curious, did they have a rule in place preventing Johnny from getting into another car? I know he has 2 cars plus Im sure yourself and many others would have offered up a car to drive.

Posts: 2434 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Steve, the fling present break rule is if your broken your out. This is why the repair was required on the spot.

He accepted the ruling and has moved on...is what it is...

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Boucher would never say that if he knew Woodrow or his equipment Big Grin

Maybe not, but i know a thing or two about overzealous tin men and trans tunnel shamockerys... Smile

Posts: 236 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
I just tripped over the dead horse, is this about over yet!!!

Praying

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:
'

Chris, I am just curious, did they have a rule in place preventing Johnny from getting into another car? I know he has 2 cars plus Im sure yourself and many others would have offered up a car to drive.

If he had been allowed to do same folks would be crying not fair to those with only one car. As old radio guy said United States of the Offened.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:
'

If he had been allowed to do same folks would be crying not fair to those with only one car. As old radio guy said United States of the Offened.

Nobody's crying Chris. And nobody is offended. Don't make this into something it isn't. I can't say (and neither can you) what motivated any complaints (if there were any) from any other racers at the track. In the end, the tech official deemed it unsafe the way it was repaired, and that was that. Just like politics today, this thread is riddled with emotion about this subject. At the end of the day, the track official knew about a track repair that didn't smell right to him. (and many other racers from the looks of the posts here) The racer argued his case, and accepted the decision with online disagreement ultimately.(remember what probably the most important job of a track is) I understand those who disagree with the decision. But now we are going to toss insults over the fence to those who disagree with us? Perhaps your political views have less to do with your Facebook vacations than your ability to disagree respectfully.
With all due respect of course.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wyatt:
Brian, the little welder is a Forney 90 amp tig welder Welding at 68 amps using er80s-2 rods and 100% Argon it does a nice job on the .058 4130. This little welder has welded on just about every brand chassis at some point, at the track, without a complaint. Your more than welcome to come by and check it out next time our paths cross at the track, maybe the million.

Please post a link! I noticed that welder when he was fixing it and was impressed!

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 633 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post