New
Find
Notify
Tools

North Carolina
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Western NCer here. As has been mentioned anything west of I-77 from Charlotte up towards Statesville is gonna “limit” the closeness of your dragstrip choices. But you’re still with a couple of hours to select tracks. I’m down closer to the NC/SC border at the foot of where the mountains start. My local tracks are within 45 mins of where I live. I still have 5 tracks within 2-2.5 hours driving of me. Asheville, NC and Spartanburg & Greenville SC are the “biggest” cities near me and I like it that way. Handful of towns around for your shopping and other needs.

Posts: 115 | Location: 2008 IHRA SSS No Box WC | Registered: June 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Agree with Pauley and Woody as well

Posts: 115 | Location: 2008 IHRA SSS No Box WC | Registered: June 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by BTR69:
quote:
Stick those three trailers in your front yard, get a couple dogs for under the front porch and get some teeth removed, and you will fit right in! Big Grin
As long as we are stereotyping.
IMO, cities pretty much suck regardless if you are in the north or south.

LOL,, Sounds like you've been scoping out my place. 2 enclosed and 1 open out back with the dogs. 3 trucks, several cars and a few John Deere sprinkled around as well... But I do have all of my natural born teefs.... It's all good, 'cause the neighbors do like me,,, or should I say the cars..

I got ya beat! Big Grin Only the trailers outside in the winter though. So I lose a few points there. No neighbors. I haven't loved my 1/8th mile or so lane the last few weeks though.
1 motorhome
1 enclosed trailer
3 other flatbeds
4 pickups
1 utv
1 atv
1 woodsplitter
4 generators
1 tractor
3 riding lawn mowers
3 snow blowers
I may need to get on that Letgo site.
2 other cars
a dragster and a jr
Oh, and a buddy has an old Beetle in the barn. That's gonna have to go some time.
TN seems nice. Will they have me? I can't imagine moving all this stuff. -20f this morning and colder tonight here in Western Illinois.

Sounds like we could be related.. LOL

William Kilduff
1970 Barracuda
1968 Camaro X2
1968 Caprice
1964 F100

Posts: 108 | Location: Wilmington NC | Registered: June 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
20 here this morning----still warm in the garage. Wink Biggest draw back I see here in NC is the personal property tax on cars, trucks, motor homes, farm equipment, etc that never stops. Then there is the yearly vehicle inspection....The car tax is awful.

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
BTR my long lost brother!
For the record, I did own and live in a double wide at one time. And I kinda owned a single wide as well. Good times!

Man I'm thinking NC would hurt me with vehicle taxes.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Wild Wild West 2
posted Hide Post
So what kind of work are you looking for ? What are your skills or background ?

And again, another vote for South Carolina. Plus in the Greenville/Spartanburg area, there is Greer Dragway that does run a weekly points program. And they pay for 1st round winners. Then there is also Shadyside Dragway and Union County Dragway which are both about 45 minutes away from this area. Mooresville Dragway is only about 1.5 - 2.0 hours away depending traffic. Farmington and Piedmont and Bristol are about 3 hours away. Atlanta Dragway is about 1.5 hours south of us.

Tim West
"Wild Wild West" Racing

mickeythompsontires.com
tciauto.com
compcams.com
www.motorsportsinnovations.com

Posts: 309 | Location: Spartanburg,SC | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTR my long lost brother!
For the record, I did own and live in a double wide at one time. And I kinda owned a single wide as well. Good times!

Man I'm thinking NC would hurt me with vehicle taxes.

Taxes? What taxes? Frown 3 car trailers, 3 lawn/landscaping trailers, 4 trucks (1 sits at moms), 4 cars, 7 John Deere machines + 2 more that stay at momma's. That's just my junk. Throw in Wife's car and we're full on this property. LOL. It's all good though. Price we pay to make a dollar and still have fun.

William Kilduff
1970 Barracuda
1968 Camaro X2
1968 Caprice
1964 F100

Posts: 108 | Location: Wilmington NC | Registered: June 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wild Wild West 2:
So what kind of work are you looking for ? What are your skills or background ?

And again, another vote for South Carolina. Plus in the Greenville/Spartanburg area, there is Greer Dragway that does run a weekly points program. And they pay for 1st round winners. Then there is also Shadyside Dragway and Union County Dragway which are both about 45 minutes away from this area. Mooresville Dragway is only about 1.5 - 2.0 hours away depending traffic. Farmington and Piedmont and Bristol are about 3 hours away. Atlanta Dragway is about 1.5 hours south of us.

I have been an embedded C++ programmer for the last 16 years, did Pascal before that. I am not looking for anything specific, just something I hopefully like and reasonably close to home. My wife worked at E-Town for 25 years until they canceled their drag racing completely. She is also looking. This is our best chance to escape this stupid state!

Delaware has some crazy taxes on registered vehicles, I guess NC does also. I have not looked at that yet.

And no, NC, SC, doesn't matter. I was looking at DE but would rather make this my last ever move. Don't trust Virginia or PA, I think they will fall quickly and become another Democrat-run state, IE: Take my guns away! The disease is spreading all along both coasts and I don't want to go too far inland. My sister lives in IN, anything goes where she lives, but not thrilled with tornadoes, and yes, she has had them! Lives an hour south of Indy in the middle of nowhere, that I do like! Smile

I have managed up to 180 people at another large corporation for 7 years, but honestly, I am not looking for those headaches anymore. Been self-employed for the last 16 years, not interested in that either.

Been looking on Indeed for starters.

We have a relative in Ashville we could go visit for a few weeks and scope-out the state, but it is pretty far inland and not so sure about race tracks from there.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
My sister lives in IN, anything goes where she lives, but not thrilled with tornadoes, and yes, she has had them!

Pick yer poison. Hurricanes. Earthquakes. Taxes. Liberals. Cities. Lack of employment.
The thing about tornadoes is that the odds of you being affected by one are slim. Even if there is one in your area, without a direct hit, the losses are generally minor if anything. Hurricanes affect a huge area. Liberals affect entire cities. I wouldn't try Illinois right now. It was a great state. But current leadership should fix all that.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hetzler
posted Hide Post
I'm in Orange county and about as centrally located as you can get to all the tracks. Plenty of work in Raleigh/Durham/RTP as well. That being said, if I was wanting to work in those areas and looking to buy property, I would NOT buy in Orange county. I would look at Alamance, Chatham, Person, etc. All within driving distance of large communities for working, but not near as much property tax as Orange county. It's a lovely area, but the taxes are crazy.

Like Fern had said about this area; I'm less than ten minutes from I-40/85, I'm 45 minutes from Roxboro, 40 minutes from Piedmont, 90 minutes from Farmington, 90 minutes from Galot, 2 hours from Kinston, 2 hours from Mooresville, about 2 hours from the Rock, a little over 2 hours to Virginia Motorsports Park, etc.

Posts: 525 | Location: Orange County, NC | Registered: September 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have MOST of the taxes related to vehicles covered as I still own my home in MD and claim it as my primary residence, no emissions on diesels, no yearly inspection, and no property tax. We have a new, 2017, Honda CRV and a 20 year old beater registered here in NC and last year the property tax on those 2 was $400+ on the Honda and $40 on the beater. My MD drivers license runs out in 2026 and I have a WV Concealed Carry permit which is good here...I guess you call it working the system to your advantage. Wink

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:
(snip)

We have a relative in Ashville we could go visit for a few weeks and scope-out the state, but it is pretty far inland and not so sure about race tracks from there.

This really caught my eye. I have never been to Asheville. However, everyone I have spoken to about it and everything I have read about it seems to indicate Asheville shares very few characteristics with the rest of North Carolina. It is, by all the accounts I have heard and read, liberal in the extreme. Take that for whatever that is worth. Rural > urban...no matter where. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Not to throw a monkey wrench in your relocation, but what about Eastern Tennessee? From what I have seen, there is no personal property tax on vehicles. You would have Bristol, several tracks in Kentucky, and North Carolina within a couple of hours. If and when I retire, that is the first place I am looking. Scott Lemon can chime in and provide more details, as he is in Tennessee.

Just a thought!

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not to throw a monkey wrench in your relocation, but what about Eastern Tennessee? From what I have seen, there is no personal property tax on vehicles. You would have Bristol, several tracks in Kentucky, and North Carolina within a couple of hours. If and when I retire, that is the first place I am looking. Scott Lemon can chime in and provide more details, as he is in Tennessee.

This plus there is NO INCOME TAX in Tennessee.

Posts: 124 | Location: inside | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I really like the Bristol/Johnson city area.

Asheville and Raleigh/durham area is very liberal and out of touch with the majority of NC.

SC is my vote.

ep

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Tennessee is gonna put him further from the coast and in land as he stated. Yes, stay away from Asheville if you’re wanting to avoid the liberal state of rules. FYI...Asheville area puts you 5-6 hours away from Myrtle Beach/coast area

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Middle TN is nice for bracket racing. Not a bad place to live either. Good job market,high quality of life,low taxes etc. I'm a couple hours away from over a half dozen tracks. Not so great if you wanna race the NHRA div.

Jason Compton

Posts: 34 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
I really like the Bristol/Johnson city area.

Asheville and Raleigh/durham area is very liberal and out of touch with the majority of NC.

SC is my vote.

ep

Thanks for the warning!

I will avoid those Liberal areas like the plague!

I don't care if we race IHRA or NHRA, Bracket racing will be the same to us.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Mecklenburg/charlotte area bad for libs to.

those 3 areas of NC almost make us as a whole nut swing to the left.

ep

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Biggest draw back I see here in NC is the personal property tax on cars, trucks, motor homes, farm equipment, etc that never stops. Then there is the yearly vehicle inspection....The car tax is awful.

Can someone explain how theses taxes work ????

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post