New
Find
Notify
Tools

chassis cert
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
My local track doesn't require (or maybe doesn't enforce?) chassis cert tags but I'm considering traveling a bit this year. What's your experience with tracks and their requirements?

The car in question is a 5.80's door car that has never been certified. Factory floor and firewall just a typical 8 point bar (I know it should be a 10 point) and appropriate driver safety gear. It's well done, not some backyard piece of crap.

Is it worth getting a chassis cert? Is an 8.50 cert hard to pass?

Posts: 72 | Location: Oostburg WI | Registered: October 16, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Pretty unlikely you'll get checked at a bracket event, but if it's a NHRA event with tech, they will check for sure.

Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
It’s been my experience traveling to bracket only events to include the high $$$$$$$ ones for over 6 years, many don’t tech. Ones that did tech, never looked for a cert date. Fill out the tech card where you pay and get in line to race. They were more interested plugging into my 7730 Grid than anything else if looking at my car in final rounds.

My car always has a current 8.50 NHRA chassis cert and required safety equipment.

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Local racers at sanctioned tracks will take a very keen interest in your safety, if you get into any money rounds, guaranteed.

The 8.50 cert is a breeze, once you add the correct halo / window net / etc. to make it a 10-point cage.

My take is that I do not want to be "that guy" they pull out of a substandard chassis causing a crapstorm for the track and other racers.

Tech rule adherence is the responsibility of the racer, mostly honor system, I'd like to think it can stay that way.

goob- never knew how much people cared for me, until I got into the coin bucket.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Most bracket tracks here never ask or anything about certifications. All of my stuff will certify to 6.00 but I have let them get a year or so out of date before I get them done again. I know it is safe and they never look or ask so not a big deal to me. If they ever said anything just get it done and move on.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4017 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
If for no other reason a current chassis cert will help with resale value with the car

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
What is this tech you speak of?

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
My local track doesn't require (or maybe doesn't enforce?) chassis cert tags but I'm considering traveling a bit this year.

I believe in IHRA you don’t need a chassis cert for 9.0 and slower, but may be wrong. It might be for a competition license at that ET.

Here’s something Luke Bogaki posted on FB discussing "What advice would you give to a racer who stays at his local track, but wants to start venturing out to bigger money races?"

https://fb.watch/qotVYN5MD2/

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
IHRA FYI..

Chassis certifications are mandatory on all
entries running 9.00 or quicker 1/4 mile, or 6.00 or quicker 1/8 mile
or an any entry that exceeds 150 MPH. Sportsman or 7.50 and slower
certifications (blue tag) expire 3 years from the certification date. Pro
or 6.0 and quicker certifications (red tag) expire in 1 year from the
certification date. See Class Requirements and SFI Specifications.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Also, I will be at Extreme Raceway on 9 March doing chassis certs if anyone needs one.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post