Bracket Talk
Rotating Racing Slicks

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/75460652/m/6477030107

October 12, 2023, 09:24 AM
DragRaceResults
Rotating Racing Slicks
Just a simple poll to see what you're opinion is on this. Do you do it or not? Who told you to or not?Do you rotate your racing slicks?YESNONEVER THOUGHT ABOUT IT

www.dragraceresults.com
October 12, 2023, 10:27 AM
SlyFox
I would think they last longer with rotation. On my drag radials (which have to be dismounted and reversed in order to rotate) I notice that the LH side wears more. I believe this is due to the driveshaft rotation which tends to lift the RH side (thus more weight and more wear on the LH side) in the water box.

JMHO

Mike
October 12, 2023, 10:45 AM
442OLDS
I rotate every 8-10 runs.
Hoosier radials.They seem to wear better from side to side,and the first run after a rotation usually picks up the 60ft a few thousandths.
October 12, 2023, 11:09 AM
Lenny5160
I've never done it religiously. I'd do it if the tires started to grain badly or have some other odd wear.

I don't really do it anymore; heard or read somewhere that stressing the sidewall in both directions will weaken it much quicker. Seems plausible enough and is less work!

Tony Leonard
October 12, 2023, 12:39 PM
Goob
Been doing that since the 80's, although not as often as I used to.
The anti roll has really evened the L to R wear a lot.

Goodyear engineer told me it was "good tire management" in the late 90's.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375
October 12, 2023, 03:18 PM
BD104X
Whenever I have the wheels off, I switch sides but I don't have any set schedule or anything.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com
October 12, 2023, 03:21 PM
Curly1
Yes but only maybe once during the season. I used to rotate them more often and did not see any benefit. Your mileage may vary.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion
October 12, 2023, 03:50 PM
Big Steve
Yes but only if I see feathering on the edges
October 12, 2023, 03:55 PM
TOP38
6.80 4 link dragster, 300 plus runs on one set of Big Bubbas, not once were they rotated from side to side. Some do and some don't,,, I feel rotating them will kill the side walls faster.

When I had a 9 second back half door car, I did but only because one tire would wear out faster than the other. Maybe I needed to scale it but it worked good so I never bothered.

Pick your poison.
October 12, 2023, 08:48 PM
BP758
Never.

Raceless in California!
October 13, 2023, 12:00 PM
Al Alguire
I used to do it every 30ish runs or so. I stopped doing it after some discussions with others and saw no difference stopping that routine.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero
October 13, 2023, 07:44 PM
RPROGAS
I only rotate them if I've had to remove the tires to gain access to the rear suspension, four link, anti-roll adjustment, etc. When I have rotated them it made zero difference.

Bob
October 14, 2023, 07:53 AM
B KING
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
I've never done it religiously. I'd do it if the tires started to grain badly or have some other odd wear.

I only have about 20 passes on our Pro Bracket Radials. I didn't like the grainy pattern we had on them, that we normally don't get. While swapping sides I noticed I had mounted them on the wrong side in the first place; they're directional. I guess that could have been the cause of the grainy pattern.

2BKING Smile

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436
October 15, 2023, 09:39 AM
vetman
We stopped that in the early 90s-lol saw no benifit or gain in tire life or e.t.

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid
October 15, 2023, 03:57 PM
diceman1530
I was rotating them each race weekend and found the first two runs reaction times were great and from then on were about .025 slower
I don’t rotate them anymore

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports
October 16, 2023, 08:23 PM
J178RED
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:

This is what I do too.

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!
October 19, 2023, 10:18 AM
Michael Beard
I run M/T Pro Bracket Radials. Radials are directional. I have 465 runs on them, never rotated, still haven't found the cords.

__
Michael Beard - staginglight@gmail.com
Staging Light Graphic Design, Printing & Event Marketing

October 19, 2023, 12:54 PM
Lenny5160
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Beard:
I run M/T Pro Bracket Radials. Radials are directional.

I’ve been on radials since 1995, both Bracket and Stocker-type, and haven’t run into a directional tire yet. Never run Mickeys though.

Tony Leonard
October 19, 2023, 03:04 PM
Tom396
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Beard:
I run M/T Pro Bracket Radials. Radials are directional. I have 465 runs on them, never rotated, still haven't found the cords.

Eek I'd call that a **** of a good purchase! Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.
October 21, 2023, 11:21 PM
Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
The reason I don't rotate is if you bend anything back and forth long enough, it will eventually fail quicker than if you left it alone.

I get 250 passes or more from a set of tires and never rotate them.

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."