DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    racers mind workbook
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

racers mind workbook
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Anyone read the racers mind book. worth trying ?

Posts: 36 | Location: canada | Registered: January 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Doubt you’ll see Ed’s name mentioned in there

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
he11 that adds value right there.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4207 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Professional athletes pay a lot of money for sports psychology, why shouldn't racers do the same? (Not that this program is going to break the bank) Most racers are to too proud and will never admit something like this can help them win more.

I went to one of Bruce's seminars at PRI years ago. The topics he covered made a lot of sense to me and although I didn't purchase any of his products at the time, I do remember the talking points he brought up and still use them today.

I just purchased his workbook and will let you know what I think once it comes in.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the writer and do not reflect the views or opinions of any entity other than myself.

72 Nova 370 ci (Stealth Black)

Posts: 394 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: July 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most racers are to too proud and will never admit something like this can help them win more

Might be what makes some constant winners and others not so much. I am stubborn as they come,but willing to learn something new at same time.

Keep us informed ans does it come on cd.My reading comprehension sucks out the ---.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4207 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I think knowledge like this is extremely valuable. I have read several articles on mental preparation for athletes. Great information to add to your arsenal. Mindset is incredibly important, I have read several self development books and all have been positive to my knowledge base.

BG

Posts: 760 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
quote:
Most racers are to too proud and will never admit something like this can help them win more

Might be what makes some constant winners and others not so much. I am stubborn as they come,but willing to learn something new at same time.

Keep us informed ans does it come on cd.My reading comprehension sucks out the ---.

http://www.theracersmind.com/featuresworkbook.php

quote:
Why a workbook and not a DVD? It would be easy to sit back and watch a DVD... but watching a DVD won't help you. A workbook is proven to be much more effective. Why? Because you will learn more completely when you actively work on skills rather than just watch or listen. The workbook makes your task as easy as possible, with clearly laid out racer-proven exercises and an easy to use audio CD

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the writer and do not reflect the views or opinions of any entity other than myself.

72 Nova 370 ci (Stealth Black)

Posts: 394 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: July 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Made a big improvement in my racing, well worth the money. Spoiler alert the CDs are about relaxation and clearing your mind, not the best thing to listen to while you're driving down the road.

Posts: 181 | Location: COLUMBUS | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
There is a book on Chassis called Doorslammers by Dave Morgan. That book was written probably 45 years ago and still has some useful information. I have most all of the chassis books and I do not consider any one of them the answer to all questions. That book by Dave Morgan got a lot of people thinking and some have taken those ideas and took it further. One of the so called "Experts" here says the book is useless and if you read it you are clueless. He said same thing about Reher and Morrisons motor book which has a lot of good information in it.
Here is the deal nobody knows everything and just one piece of information could make it well worth the cost. You can not learn too much and the mental side of racing is very important and something most do not think about.
I say if you buy it and work it surely it will help, now how much and if it is worth the cost is your call.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4042 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^CLUELESS^^^^^ but so am I, along with ED.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2581 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
There is a book on Chassis called Doorslammers by Dave Morgan. That book was written probably 45 years ago and still has some useful information. I have most all of the chassis books and I do not consider any one of them the answer to all questions. That book by Dave Morgan got a lot of people thinking and some have taken those ideas and took it further. One of the so called "Experts" here says the book is useless and if you read it you are clueless. He said same thing about Reher and Morrisons motor book which has a lot of good information in it.
Here is the deal nobody knows everything and just one piece of information could make it well worth the cost. You can not learn too much and the mental side of racing is very important and something most do not think about.
I say if you buy it and work it surely it will help, now how much and if it is worth the cost is your call.

Well said. Morgan's book isn't all that popular now. Was pretty well received when it was published. Frankly, it's one way to look at chassis setup when it comes to rear suspension. I had plots on the shop floor and in the plotting software as well.

There are other ways to skin that cat, and they are all looking at the same science in a different way. "Squat and anisquat" gave a unique way to visualize what happens with changes in instant centers. And from an engineering standpoint, it wasn't wrong. But there are other ways to look at the problem as well. I have said before about math, that it is good to look at any problem from different angles and try solving it more than one way. You come to the same conclusion and you have a pretty good idea you did it correctly.

As far as the racer's mind: Isn't this much the same as what Tammy Eggleston taught 20+ years ago? She had a lot of stuff about visualization, positive thinking and putting mistakes behind you as you learn from them. Very important skills for anyone in motorsports or sports period.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6416 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I agree. Nobody knows everything, but please tell me your joking about listening to motor theory and practice by David Reher was not a wise thing to do. Please tell me nobody on this or any site other site related to DRAG RACING is that damn ignorant. PLEASE! Nobody could EVER seriously say that with a straight face.

BG

Posts: 760 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I missed the Reher deal. What was the deal there?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6416 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
I missed the Reher deal. What was the deal there?

quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
One of the so called "Experts" here says the book is useless and if you read it you are clueless. He said same thing about Reher and Morrisons motor book which has a lot of good information in it.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2581 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Oh I wondered. I read David's books years ago and they were useful. Not mind blowing. Certainly I didn't think they were moronic.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The Racer's Mind is my project. Hard to believe it's been 15 years since it first came out. Those who read National Dragster may recall the Racer's Mind column that went on for seven years. A lot of the column was drawn in some part from the workbook or ongoing research. I'm glad to answer any questions.

Bruce Deveau

Posts: 5 | Location: Ame | Registered: November 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
the articles were some of the best and helpful stuff that has been in ND. they should have you write more stuff. it was very helpful.

ep

Posts: 767 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racersmind:
The Racer's Mind is my project. Hard to believe it's been 15 years since it first came out. Those who read National Dragster may recall the Racer's Mind column that went on for seven years. A lot of the column was drawn in some part from the workbook or ongoing research. I'm glad to answer any questions.

Bruce Deveau

Okay, tell us more about the program. What it does, cost etc?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4042 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I still have my copy of the work book and the cd that came with it. I haven’t looked at it in years but I remember if you followed the instructions it did help to get your mind clear if you were wound up too tight. I need to find it to look at it again.

Posts: 498 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Pauley. I stopped writing for ND when it seemed I was running out of things to say and the workbook was approaching 10 years.

Curly1: I want to respect the forum's rules about selling, so i will give it a general description: The workbook seeks to work with you, the driver, in the same way you would work with your car to bring the same package to the line each time. The thoughts you think, the emotions you feel, and the physical state you are in (such as adrenaline load) all together constitute the main factors of the mental game.
They are to you as the air, fuel and spark are to your engine. Each human factor can be controlled and adjusted to make you more confident and consistent.

The workbook works with each of the three factors to give you knowledge and control.

I hope that answers your question.

Bruce Deveau

Posts: 5 | Location: Ame | Registered: November 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post