DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Traveling Indianapolis to Rockingham NC
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traveling Indianapolis to Rockingham NC
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Traveling Indianapolis to Rockingham NC

I’m unfamiliar with traveling from Indy to Rockingham NC and would like advice on which would be the best route. Pulling a 24’ enclosed and traveling 65mph.

On MapQuest it shows from

1. Indy I-70 to Dayton Hwy 35 to I-77
2. Indy I-65 to Louisville I-64 to I-77
3. Or is there another better way?

TIA

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
there is a toll at I 65 over the river to Louisville,

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of DANGERBOY
posted Hide Post
1. is best I believe.

Posts: 86 | Location: cincinnati | Registered: November 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
There are other ways depending on what your towing with and how you and it likes hills

Posts: 30 | Location: Delaware | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
#1 is shortest by 50 miles, but #2 is all interstate. I don’t know if I-64 from Louisville to I-77 is hillier than traveling south on Hwy 35 from Dayton.

I’m traveling 65mph maximum and can maintain this on a 4% hill grade. More than that I’m guessing I could be down 5 – 10 mph. I’d prefer to travel the less hilly route

So which is better iyo and why? #1 or #2 or another way. Any road closings I need to be aware of would be appreciated.

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Option 1 is the one I'd take we go that way to NC all the time from NW Ohio it's only 2 lane for about 30 miles on 35 when you get into W.VA to I-64. When You get to the W.VA turnpike you get to pay tolls.

Posts: 608 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Number 2. I hit I-74 off I-77 and take it all the way to the exit plainly marked Rockingham. Easy drive. Get gas before WV and at Wythville VA. WV price is insane.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Number 2. I hit I-74 off I-77 and take it all the way to the exit plainly marked Rockingham. Easy drive. Get gas before WV and at Wythville VA. WV price is insane.

Fern, if I’m getting fuel in Wytheville, VA as you suggested I’d be on HWY 35 which is route #1 that I listed out of Daytona. So did you mean Route #1 ?

DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:

Fern, if I’m getting fuel in Wytheville, VA as you suggested I’d be on HWY 35 which is route #1 that I listed out of Daytona. So did you mean Route #1 ?

You can get Fuel in Wytheville on I77. It WILL be cheaper than what you will find in NC.

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of scarab1999
posted Hide Post
#1 is ur best choice

Posts: 97 | Location: troit | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Technically if you get fuel in Wytheville,VA you will be on I-77 south and I-81 north at the same time! In Wytheville there are plenty of truckstops in that short stretch where the 2 interstates run together, gas is reasonable and you can get in and out easy and there are restaurants.
You will have plenty of hills on I-77 and a toll if I remember correctly. You'll see some pretty country and can stop at Tamarac and you'll cross the New River bridge. Leaving Wytheville south on I-77 you'll go down Fancy Gap which you will have to pull going home.
If you take route 2 you will go around Louisville which is a good thing, but I believe there is a toll there.
3rd option is not a good one taking I-64 to I-75 to I-40. Scenic but a tough ride through the gorge into NC and then down Black Mountain.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You should consider the advice of those that know and travel the route. I-77 and I-81 both go through Wythville basically. New River gorge bridge is on US 19 in WV but I-77 does cross the New River in VA. There will be 3 toll stops on WV turnpike. I don’t know how much because I use easy pass and it’s either that or cash. Hope you have a safe trip as it’s pouring rain right now here in central NC 50 mi from the Rock.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Decided to take shortest route which is Hwy 35 from Dayton into WV. When traveling South on Hwy 35 where is the best last stop I can make before entering WV for fuel? I’m going to need a full tank to make it to Wytheville from the WV North boarder.

DRR Trophy
Picture of T. Denton
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can get Fuel in Wytheville on I77. It WILL be cheaper than what you will find in NC

Wytheville does have plenty of places to stop but unfortunately diesel fuel is no longer cheap there (been expensive there for the last year or so). Coming from Bristol I usually stop about 20 miles south of Wytheville and its 15-20 cents cheaper per gallon or I don't stop and I've found it cheaper in NC...

Posts: 169 | Location: Bristol, TN | Registered: December 23, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T. Denton:
quote:
You can get Fuel in Wytheville on I77. It WILL be cheaper than what you will find in NC

Wytheville does have plenty of places to stop but unfortunately diesel fuel is no longer cheap there (been expensive there for the last year or so). Coming from Bristol I usually stop about 20 miles south of Wytheville and its 15-20 cents cheaper per gallon or I don't stop and I've found it cheaper in NC...

Dang TD... that stinks. Wonder if the VA taxes changed or something...? Or did the truck stops realize they were missing an opportunity there?

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of T. Denton
posted Hide Post
Seems to be just there so I guess its the truck stops naming their price. You can go 20 miles north to exit 98 or south at exit 58 and its cheaper.
I don't go out of my way to miss them I just stop other places now.

Posts: 169 | Location: Bristol, TN | Registered: December 23, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice everyone. My truck uses 89 octane gas so there might not be a big price difference between states. It only holds 32 gallons.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
There is a Love's truck stop in Ohio just a few miles before you go into WV.

Posts: 26 | Location: sw Ohio | Registered: August 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If you get fuel in Wytheville pay cash or have a burn credit card, mine got hacked there on the to and from Rockingham last year.

Posts: 181 | Location: COLUMBUS | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ohio_dragracer:
There is a Love's truck stop in Ohio just a few miles before you go into WV.

OH-850 + Hwy 35. Got it. Thanks!