DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    How long before marriage?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long before marriage?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted
Is 2 years too soon or 25 yrs too long?

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Don't want to burst any bubbles but here is the reality of the state sponsored/mandated contract of marriage. If I told you I had a hot investment tip who's track record results in greater than 50% of investors loosing money how eager would you be to lay down your cash? We live in a gynocentric society and the sooner men wake up and take the red pill the better off they'll be.

THE “FACTS” (legal facts) of MARRIAGE

"Marriage" isn't about love.
You can be in love and not be married.
You can be married and not be in love.

"Marriage" isn't about sex.
...You can have sex and not be married.
You can be married and not have sex.

"Marriage" isn't about children.
You can have children and not be married.
You can be married and not have children.

"Marriage" isn't about religion.
You can be an atheist and be married.
You can be married without a preacher.

"Marriage" isn't about vows.
You can make vows without being married.
You can be married without vows, only an affirmation; "I do".

"Marriage" isn't about rings.
You can wear rings without being married.
You can be married without exchanging rings.

The contract of marriage is legally only about property, citizenship, kinship and inheritance. The marriage license is an application for State and Federal benefits granted a specific class of people. All arguments about love, romance, reproduction, religious dogma, tradition and family values are PERSONAL BAGGAGE and cultural ignorance of the legal facts called marriage.

Arguments that aren't about property, citizenship, kinship and inheritance are moot.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Marry the right person or don't get married. When I meet other guys' wives I feel sorry for them. Nagging, whining, and a rear end that looks like a busted can of biscuits. Waiting too long in life to get married means your getting sub par product or someone else's returns.

Posts: 291 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Would you buy a pair of shoes without trying them on? How about a car without a test drive? Live together, get married down the road. Its just a piece of paper.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Marriage is the leading cause for divorce Big Grin

Posts: 2433 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Wife and I met on November 24, 1988, went out for five years, living together for a year and half (there were a couple of small breaks thrown in, for various reasons). Celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary this year. Neither one of us looks the same or acts the same as we did thirty years ago, but we're still happy together. Sure, there's the occasional tiff and we've come close to calling it quits on more than one occasion, but through love, communication, compromise and probably just plain old stubbornness, we've stuck it out. I couldn't imagine my life without her.

Especially now that we're empty nesters, with the kids off on their own, we've gotten closer and probably have more fun together than we did when we were in our 20's and 30's.

If you're not willing to work at it (and it can be a struggle), marriage can seem pretty miserable. Like a lot of things, you get out of it what you put into it.

Posts: 121 | Location: Imperial, CA | Registered: September 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Well all depends on what you want. Met my love when I was drunk in a rock ‘n’ roll club. We spent the next four weeks together nonstop. That started in October 1975, married July 1976. The love of my life besides Racing she puts up with lotta stuff and still looks hot to me. Just remember behind a good guy is a great woman. That’s just my two cents ,I wish I had more. I forgot to say that I am still happily married.

Shake head

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
if you go in to marriage thinking about divorce chances are that is where it will end up. i met my wife when i was 14 and she was 13. dated 10 years, got married with 2 kids (25 and 23). i like being married but it may not be for everybody. you both have to give and take and be on the same page.

now i will say, my son and his girlfriend have been dating for 3 years. she does not like racing at all. he will go 8 days a week if he could. he does not need to marry and i told her she should run. not sure how it is going to work out.

ep

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Ticket:
Marry the right person or don't get married. When I meet other guys' wives I feel sorry for them. Nagging, whining, and a rear end that looks like a busted can of biscuits. Waiting too long in life to get married means your getting sub par product or someone else's returns.

a lot of truth here. i tell people if they are past 25 or 30 and still single it is for a reason.

ep

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Wild Wild West 2
posted Hide Post
The following statement about marriage is true probably 99% of the time. There will always be exceptions and it may take time to come true but:

A man marries a woman thinking she will never change, while a woman marries a man thinking she can change him.

Tim West
"Wild Wild West" Racing

mickeythompsontires.com
tciauto.com
compcams.com
www.motorsportsinnovations.com

Posts: 309 | Location: Spartanburg,SC | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I say get a good prenuptial before you get married. If she loves you it is not a problem. If she is wanting to marry you for money she will not like it.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4025 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
32 years together...and we don't even live together.
I don't want the governmant involved in our love life and she agrees. Now that is one hell of a woman, if she can put up with me for this long.

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1219 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Oh Curly Prenup for sure Not worthy . Not getting my dog Super Angry

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Guess it depends on tons of stuff. Mostly the two people in question.
I was 42 when me and wife started dating. Lived together a year and half or so b4 married. Neither had been married. Both had engagements that went south. We had known each other 3 or 4 years before dating.That was not on my side. the apartment we lived in was one where if you got laid half knew before you finished. Still catch it from the lies told on me.

I will say that did great job picking who and when to be drunk enough to say I do.Old joke. She has never gripped about the money I spend on cars, guns or other toys. She works her little butt off. About only thing I would change is her smoking addiction. We both had idea of marriage after 3rd day. 12 years and going strong.

Now I have racing friends that married after very lon g period of dating maybe 10 years or so. Been married 20 years.Heck he tunes her TA/FC and they still stay married.LOL

Marry early or later as I did, Good and bad to both. All coins have two sides.

Time together before should give a perfect picture of others, but most change some after I do's.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
We're into year 26 not married.
The necessary paperwork for medical and property matters is set, no real need for the marriage, but maybe someday.
I tell people I still like her too much to marry her.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Put into racer perspective. It is like a race car it is all about the combination of the parts. What works for one might not work as well for the other.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Dropped by and saw this thread, which is one of the most interesting this site has going for it.

First, the government is doing everything it can to subvert the nuclear family and marriages based upon anything church. What does that tell you? They stuck their nose in it long ago to make money off of it and now to discourage it.

Happy marriage is all about the right choice. Probably the biggest decision with the most impact upon your life you will ever have. If you tend to mess up big decisions.....if you are a poor judge of character.....if you base your relationships solely on superficial factors.....There is a high likelihood you are going to make a bad choice here that will haunt you maybe for a lifetime. In that case, avoid it. And if she isn't pushing for it, that ought to tell you something about the mindset from her about marrying you as well.

For me it has been the best thing I could have done. 26 years in. It's not for everyone.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6409 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
11 years together here still not married. If it aint broke dont fix it

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1401 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Been 36 years in the institution. As you will find out as time goes on material things don't make the man. It is the core of values that matter with the family and friends. Hate has no place in "This Life"

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Met my wife in September and we were married the following February. She was 16 I was 19, you can likely guess why we got married. That was 38 years ago. Like life its about the journey. We were young, dumb and stubborn. Probably why it has all worked out very well for us.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post