DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    PJ1 traction compound price increase
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PJ1 traction compound price increase
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
All of the cars I set up I try to make them work on any track as well as possible. Still we all want to go faster and when a track is not prepped, very cold or real rough it is easier said than done. If the track is not prepped then you have to cut back on power and make chassis changes and nobody wants to do that. The worse the track is prepped the smaller our margin of error is.

Whether you want to admit it or not we all try to push the limits of traction and power and our wallets. If you are not then you are slow.
And some of same people who say they can get down any track also say they will not risk running their car on a cold track? Or a poorly prepped track. WTF? Only race on National event prepped track but it can get down them all..... Right.

Track prep does make a difference and it is part of what we have to deal with.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4036 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Just talked with RJ Simrock who is the Manager at the Barona 1/8th mile track in Ramona, Ca.. RJ said that they were quoted $1800 for a 54 gallon drum of PJ-1. That's a no brainer, there is simply no way they could afford $1800 (plus tax) for a single 54 gallon drum of PJ-1.

Time to home brew some traction compound.

Net sales profit for JP-1.....$0.

Bob

Posts: 3088 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 69dart
posted Hide Post
It wasnt that long ago I remember the tracks were bummed it was $600. Now its triple that... ouch.

Posts: 27 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I would like to know the cost of goods for a drum. I bet it has a huge markup.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4036 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Again, I have no concern as to the cost of traction compound and my cars can get down any of the many tracks we race on.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 442OLDS:
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
quote:

quote:

As I said before, set it up to work on the worst track you can find and it will always work. No matter the prep.

Quoted for the truth

Not directed at any one person(s). What's keyboarded, isn't always what happens at the track. I'll bet a good many would be complaining when things don't go as planned. Wink

2BKING Smile

Exactly.

While some say that their car will hook in a car wash,they then get pissed when it spins on the track.

Again...I can get down any track, including cold! It will not be pretty, but I'll figure out how to win & be safe under them conditions. I've done it on tracks that the elitest would turn their nose up & wouldn't consider racing on.

Till then, keep on keyboard racing! Wink

2BKING Smile

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2568 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Nevada cold and PA cold are very different temperatures. It’s why racing starts in late April maybe and ends in mid October here.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The temps when I was racing the last races of the year in Vegas in Nov. was right around 32* at sun rise. We were hitting the track at 0730 - 0800 in the morning. Wink I don't bother with track temperature; I don't have the time. The car worked just fine on the Pro Bracket Radials, with a healthy burnout & no wheel speed/spin!

2BKING Big Grin

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2568 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
good for you. That said, I nor anyone I know with top shelf equipment and fast cars are putting them on a track when the ambient temp is 40 degrees no mind 32. seen too many fast cars on cold tracks wreck over the last 3 decades in the beginning and end of the season.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Our track is one of the best in the country with the prep to go with. The Nov. races don't have ideal weather conditions & gets worse at the end of the month.

We make our small tire radial car work & win in the coldest/hottest conditions. We don't keyboard, we race the conditions delt. I don't care if they use glue or not, nor the cost. My cars work in the worst conditions, period! Wink

2BKING

Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
my engines cost more than your entire car. You do what you do and we'll keep doing what we do...winning big $, Championships, Wallys and competing in the Fling's $100K ALLSTAR SHOOTOUT Big Grin

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
Just talked with RJ Simrock who is the Manager at the Barona 1/8th mile track in Ramona, Ca.. RJ said that they were quoted $1800 for a 54 gallon drum of PJ-1. That's a no brainer, there is simply no way they could afford $1800 (plus tax) for a single 54 gallon drum of PJ-1.

Bob

Like I said in the 2nd post on this thread, add $10 to the cost of every tech card and its paid for.
No reason the track should absorb the price increase. $10 or even $20 aint shyt when it comes to cost of racing

Posts: 2434 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
EXACTLY

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:

Bob

Like I said in the 2nd post on this thread, add $10 to the cost of every tech card and its paid for.
No reason the track should absorb the price increase. $10 or even $20 aint shyt when it comes to cost of racing

Just depends on your approach to bracket racing. If we were talking heads up/first to finish wins, then yes, $10, $20, or $1,000 would be nothing. Since bracket racing means going too fast causes you to lose, there is no need to spent large amounts of money. That is simply a choice. In fact, there really isn't even a need for expensive glue. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1234 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
If your track raises the cost of your tech card $10 to help offset the cost of glue or any other increase in the cost to operate the track and you cant afford it you certainly have the right to stay home and take up a new hobby

Posts: 2434 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
EXACTLY!

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

my engines cost more than your entire car. You do what you do and we'll keep doing what we do...winning big $, Championships, Wallys and competing in the Fling's $100K ALLSTAR SHOOTOUT Big Grin

I don't care, it's bracket racing; you can't figure it out! Wink I do it all: driven for others, have money backer's (cash to do as I wish), winning big $$$, Championships, Wallys & competing in the Fling Millions. I do all this with me being the crew chief & driving/competing!

You can keyboard all your fluff, but you are not competing; your son is the talent. You do what you have to & keep trying to make yourself feel better about yourself.

I'll keep doing me & accomplish more with less. Thanks, to all my $$$$ backers; they are the best! I get to use the cash as I deem fit.

Charge more for glue or not, my equipment is up for the task of bracket racing. Big Grin

2BKING is what it's! Wink

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
If your track raises the cost of your tech card $10 to help offset the cost of glue or any other increase in the cost to operate the track and you cant afford it you certainly have the right to stay home and take up a new hobby

You are exactly correct. And it also explains where this hobby has gone. And by the way, an increase in entry would be more about offsetting the cost of the purse than offsetting the cost of the glue...since the glue is unnecessary. Test and tune/grudge night participants don't demand professional track prep (expensive glue), but small tracks in this area count on them to make a profit. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1234 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Playing devil's advocate, why should every entrant pay more for those that need the glue?

Should the entries be charged by 60’s?
$1 for everyone.
$2 more for door cars @ 1.35 to 1.1.30
$4 more for 1.3 -1.25
$6 for 1.25-1.20
Etc,...
Same for dragsters below 1.15

I don't have figures of how much glue is used for a typical bracket race but I could get those #s that Atco used during the Sway era. I'm sure someone here would know though.

It's kinda similar to splitting the bill evenly with a group getting plain pizza, toppings, special pizzas and all you eat is the plain pizza. Paying for something and receive no benefit.

Plus, I thought everyone here could hook and repeat in a frozen car wash with a layer of antifreeze and ricotta cheese.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Plenty of guys were going mid-high 4 seconds in door cars on 1990's low prep.

If they had the track prep bracket tracks of today have, back then they'd be going 0's

Too much whining not enough racing. As long as its not no prep racing, I'm fine with it. Non optimal tracks give the guy who works on his car an upper hand vs the guy who pays for the car.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post