Bracket Talk
Race Track "Slam Dunks"

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/75460652/m/5887092296

January 09, 2020, 11:05 AM
regal
Race Track "Slam Dunks"
What I’d like to see is racers being more tolerant to not having perfect track prep for their over powered and under performing chassis. Not saying we need to race on dirt and gravel tracks but from what tracks were 20 years ago prep wise, it’s crazy how perfect most expect the prep to be. Sure would help some tracks out not having to prep like everyone is a fuel car, nevermind the time it adds to a program. I’m not the best to speak on this though because I choose to run a combo that can race anywhere. Yes, I realize this isn’t going to happen.

Chris Walters
January 09, 2020, 11:08 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog:
-Free or very reduced spectator entry.

Dan

I see this one all the time. What you are basically doing is granting free entry to every single friend/family member currently entering the track with racers and paying the $10 gate fee or whatever. Would cost the track half or more of their revenue and likely not entice a single new spectator nor sell any hot dogs.

Only way this possibly works is if the free/reduced entry people are barred from the pit area somehow.

These suggestions (all of the ones I've listed) are NOT meant to be used as an every day format, only periodically, to incentivize spectator attendance or to cultivate new participation from those whom may not have normally attended an event. The reduced or free entry is not meant for the "crew" that usually attend the events on a normal basis, DAH! If you have difficulty in believing reduced/free SPECTATOR entry could be profitable for the track, just look to the events such as ones where Norwalk (Summit Motorsports Park) has offered this for a number of their events. It packs the stands and the lines at the concession areas are nearly endless at times. You may not get a ten $pot from them when they come through the gate but they buy the beer and hot dogs that the track has a VERY handsome profit margin on...

It's simply a marketing tactic. Without an affordable opportunity for some, a new or perspective customer may never attend an event. These suggestions are just that, suggestions, take em or leave em. What works for some may not for others. With that said, there are plenty of examples of this tactic having a fair level of success.

While the rest of us have offered our suggestions, I notice you have not, only your negativity, to each his own I guess...

Dan

I agree with this statement, like started above, it doesn’t have to be an every week deal but let someone in who WOULDN'T attend otherwise because they don’t know what it’s about or worth the initial visit payment. Then it’s up to the track/promoter to give them a show that interests them to want to come back and PAY each week or at each event afterwards. Throw in a food voucher or something to go along with it, if the program doesn’t lure them back maybe the concession stand will or a combination of both. If a track or promoter can’t afford to take a $20 chance with someone like that then they’re in a bad spot to begin with.
January 09, 2020, 11:29 AM
Mad Dog
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bucky:

Agreed. What is the upside? MAYBE sell a couple hot dogs? /QUOTE]

I can tell you with 100% certainty what the DOWNSIDE is: ZERO possibility of a hot dog sale to a non-existent spectator...

Dan

Dan

DOES YOUR IDEOLOGY ALLOW YOU TO EQUITABLY APPLY STANDARDS OF ACCOUNTABILITY OR DOES IT PROMOTE THE PRACTICE OF HYPOCRISY?
January 09, 2020, 11:36 AM
Mad Dog
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Perhaps movie theaters should let people in for free?

Ever been to a Matinee showing at a theater???

Yep that's right! Reduced entry used to incentivize customer attendance...

What a concept...

Dan

Dan

DOES YOUR IDEOLOGY ALLOW YOU TO EQUITABLY APPLY STANDARDS OF ACCOUNTABILITY OR DOES IT PROMOTE THE PRACTICE OF HYPOCRISY?
January 09, 2020, 11:38 AM
Alley Cat
There is a giant untapped market of potential racers at Friday night test n tunes. New generation muscle cars and trucks have an incredible amount of following. These guys n girls show up to race Index Classes when events like the Street Car Takeover come to town.

Incorporate 11.50 and 13.50 index classes (1/4 mile) to the Saturday bracket program. Bracket race starts at 9am and are usually winding down by 5-6pm. Start the index class time trials in the late rounds.

Promote this to the Friday night racers and contact the local shops in the area who do tunes and transmission work.

Rules should be Insured late model vehicles only.
10 gate fee and 30 dollars to race. Don't have a top heavy purse.

Most of these cars run mid 11s now with typical bolt ons. The single cab trucks with a cam and converter run in the 13s and the supercharged full size trucks are right there with them.
January 09, 2020, 12:22 PM
Bucky
quote:
Originally posted by regal:
What I’d like to see is racers being more tolerant to not having perfect track prep for their over powered and under performing chassis. Not saying we need to race on dirt and gravel tracks but from what tracks were 20 years ago prep wise, it’s crazy how perfect most expect the prep to be. Sure would help some tracks out not having to prep like everyone is a fuel car, nevermind the time it adds to a program. I’m not the best to speak on this though because I choose to run a combo that can race anywhere. Yes, I realize this isn’t going to happen.

How right you are man! As long as it is consistent, and not a no prep surface, at least I know as does everyone else. They have to spend a fortune on glue to make every tired mis managed combination go down the track to .01.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
January 10, 2020, 07:47 AM
Curly1
NHRA and many tracks keep looking for ways to run Racers, Spectators and Sponsors OFF.

Nasty food, dirty restrooms, rude management, changing the rules or payout and on and on.

Look, I know it is hard, hot work for those guys at the track and I am always nice to them. But we have all been to a track where a guy was a real d!ck. Or a track that did not pay out as advertised. Sure makes you not want to go back there. There is one track we raced at twice and both times they could not run more that 10 or 15 races an hour. Nobody wants to sit around in the heat like that to watch grass grow for 10 minutes then a 8 second race? WTF? It was crazy.

So the point is maybe instead of bringing new racers why dont we start with quitting trying so hard to run off those we have?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion
January 10, 2020, 10:42 AM
SlyFox
quote:
Originally posted by regal:

Best idea yet!

Mike