Bracket Talk
Buying a car from Canada

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/75460652/m/5887026396

June 11, 2020, 05:34 PM
524vette
Buying a car from Canada
Has anyone bought a race car from Canada? What kind of problems with Customs , any fees or taxes?
June 11, 2020, 05:47 PM
Mike Mathes
I did. Fees were about 7.5% of purchase price in my case.

Was advised, and it applied in my case as I bought a purpose-built race car, that it is easier if it isn't a "car" with a vin plate, planning on being registered, etc. You are purchasing a piece of equipment that just happens to have the name "car" in it (think of it more like a piece of construction equipment, or a tractor, or the like).

If the car you are looking at has a vin plate, i think there are many more hoops to jump through. Thankfully my broker and shipper worked out all the details on mine. I only had to cut the check.
June 11, 2020, 06:39 PM
ferndaleflyer
Those guys come over here to race all the time. Buy it while its here and problem is solved.
June 12, 2020, 09:09 AM
524vette
Thanks for the advice.
June 12, 2020, 11:29 AM
Al Alguire
We have many friends who live in Canada. I would second the have them bring it across deal. Way easier if it is a racecar with no vin. Even if it has a vin it is easier to have them import it but can be done either wat. We actually have one friend who brings trucks down here for us to sell. He does all the import work and we swap the dash/speedos to MPH and sell them for him. Seems two wheel drive trucks don't fetch much up there

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero