New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rims screws or no?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If you run tubes, you run screws or beadlocks.

If you think you can get away with running no tubes and still manage the wheelspeed (sidewall), don't worry about the screws or beadlocks.

It's not a one size fits all topic.

Baby powder will keep from the tire pinching the tube, it won't keep the tubes valve stem from disappearing (breaking the tube), in the event the tire turns on the rim.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Nose heavy car with a lot of torque BBC, on a small tire, I'd run a stiff sidewall and a tube, exactly as I did.

It's a tightrope. Why practice falling, when you don't have to.

Falling is a waste of time, energy and resources.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Without screws on my S10 the tire would move about 1" to 1-1/2" in a 7 to 8 run day. They needed balanced every other week. I put screws in, 10 per side, and have never had an issue. Screws were a lot cheaper than beadlocks and accomplished the same thing on a smaller budget.
Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I put beadlocks on my current car because the old wheels were trashed from screws, I wanted beadlocks, and it makes changing tires so much easier. When I raced my Nova back in North Carolina, I didn't originally run screws, but I was running tubes. Just a slow 6.7xx 1/8 mile car, but every pass the tires moved on the wheels...screws stopped that... Honestly, if it was that much of a concern for me, I'd run it and see what it does. It's likely they might move a little at first, then stop. If that's the case, you're good. If not, then I'd sell the wheels and do beadlocks instead. But that's just me.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1520 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of hot wheels
posted Hide Post
I've run that same tire for many years, last 2 years ran with tubes. Didn't slow down a bit and felt it repeated better with tubes. I'm around same power and speed. Oh yeah screws too, works for me.

Posts: 22 | Location: vancouver, b.c. | Registered: August 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toad1: Without screws on my S10 the tire would move about 1" to 1-1/2" in a 7 to 8 run day. They needed balanced every other week.

Did you every try switching the tires side to side and see if they went back to original position?

Posts: 2633 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toad1:
Without screws on my S10 the tire would move about 1" to 1-1/2" in a 7 to 8 run day. They needed balanced every other week.
Jok

You mount them dry and they don’t move. Hit my tires with a whole lot more power than you and the OP.

Further, it’s the year 2023, no one runs tubes that has a clue. Most bracket racers haven’t run tubes in 30 years.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
it’s the year 2023, no one runs tubes that has a clue. Most bracket racers haven’t run tubes in 30 years.

Here’s one disadvantage using tubes. If you pick up a screw, nail, or other pointed object in the tire, you’re forced to remove the tire to repair. This is something that happens more frequently than one might be aware of.

If you carry an inexpensive tire plug kit you can be back on the track in minutes. I’ve plugged a rear and a front tire for other racers in the staging lanes. I’ve found screws 2X in my rear tires the past 15 yrs, plugged them, and ran them the duration without problems.

I keep one of these tire kits and a 12v air pump in my truck just in-case.

Posts: 2633 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I’ve been doing this on my tires and friends for decades and I’ve done it in the lanes. Get a puncture in slicks with tubes and you’re done for the day.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
No screws. first pass my tires move less then a 1/8 then they never ever move again Been a 1.24 at almost 3000 lbs 32-16 tire. No tubes or screws its not 1970 anymore...

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.50 126

Posts: 1418 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
markemark,
I did rotate them a couple times and they moved about the same mount the other way. I am not going to go to the work to rotate slicks every weekend to keep them balanced, too old for that ;-)
I did mount them dry, didn't seem to help. Thinking back I should have roughed up the bead area of the wheel with an air chisel to make a "serrated area". Screws are in, no problems since.
As for rotating tires??? I have a new way of doing that, I rotate them when some grain starts to show, been about 60-70 runs last summer. Not sure it is even necessary, old habit I think.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I’ve mounted my slicks dry for 20 years, never “roughed up” the bead, just clean with acetone. Never moved and I never rotate my slicks .

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toad1:
markemark,
I did rotate them a couple times and they moved about the same mount the other way. I am not going to go to the work to rotate slicks every weekend to keep them balanced, too old for that ;-)
I did mount them dry, didn't seem to help. Thinking back I should have roughed up the bead area of the wheel with an air chisel to make a "serrated area". Screws are in, no problems since.
As for rotating tires??? I have a new way of doing that, I rotate them when some grain starts to show, been about 60-70 runs last summer. Not sure it is even necessary, old habit I think.

You do not want slicks to move. They do need to be clean before you mount them and that Red Permatex Sealant seems to work good. A lot of people around here use it. Put a little on the bead when you mount tire it dries quickly and works.

I did not want to put screws in my nice wheels and Permatex fixed it for me. But if you slicks are moving you going to have to do something whether it is trying the red Permatex stuff or wheel screws.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4225 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Again, NOTHING is required to keep the tires from moving on the rim without screws except to clean both the wheel and tire’s bead with acetone and mount them DRY.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
Who the **** uses tire tubes anymore.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Only the clueless

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Cleaning the rims before mounting the new slicks makes a difference. I did have a set that moved on the rims and broke them down, cleaned real good and sprayed some hair spray on the bead before seating. They never moved again. For $1 it's cheap insurance and it's no mess like permatex or some of the other fixes.

Posts: 1552 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
I had a customer last year take his car out and i`m watching it leave the line and it looked like the tires were bouncing all over the place. I asked him whats up with the slicks. He said i dunno, they`re new with new tubes. I looked at him and told him to get the tubes out asap. That is 80`s technology. The next week the car 60ft better and drove better down track.If you`re running tubes, you have no idea what kind of performance you`re missing.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Allred
posted Hide Post
Yes. I run tubes too..

Mike Allred

Posts: 276 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: March 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I think the moral of this story is:

If you run tubes, you need rim screws.

If you do not run tubes, rim screws are optional but certainly not required. Just clean the rim and mount slicks dry.

I will add, if you run Hoosiers, no soap is needed on the inside of the tire. Just fire them on clean rims, air up and go racing.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 781 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post