Standby gen sets
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
Maybe should post in tech ??
I’m looking into bigger backup.
20-25 kw LP. Thoughts? Ideas?

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4524 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I can only speak in generalities. My folks had one at their house in the country. Propane. Think it was a 20k or close to it. They could run AC off of it. They had well water which of course was good to go as well. It was almost seamless the way it would come on automatically and transfer. It would also run once a week for a scheduled time. They never had a lick of trouble, and it was nice knowing they were in good shape if we had a winter storm or other outage. I can't tell you the model or brand. Can't remember.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6416 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
25 kw will use a lot of propane in 24 hours. You will need a big tank for extended power outages.

Posts: 526 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Power outages will become normal in California with our Liberal Legislatures move to switch to "Green Power". "Green power" will never be capable of sustaining enough power to supply the State during the summer months. Having a back up system will be a necessity if you live in hotter in-land areas.

All our neighbors have generator sets as well as solar. Our electric bill dropped from a summer average of more than $420 to less than $20 each month. The Utility Company sends us an annual settlement fee which in the past 11 years has never exceeded $75.

My only concern with a propane tank near the house is a fire, something that Californians experience every summer. One propane tank explosion can pretty much ruin you entire day.

Bob

Posts: 3090 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
For a while in certain areas, underground propane tanks were a thing. The problem is installation and eventual corrosion since you can't paint them ever. But, if you don't have natural gas, you are stuck with propane or gasoline. That much gasoline will certainly ruin your day too, and will go bad in short time with how gasoline is today.
It seems common for that size generator to burn 2-4 gph depending on amount of load.
Almost every house here in the country has a 500 gallon tank. If you were caught unlucky, you may have 250 gallons or less. If you have it humping with the air etc, you got two days or a bit more. Probably three unless it is the hottest time of the year. If you don't run the air, and you agree to keep the tank pretty full. you ought to have more than a week easily.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6416 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
My place has sold hundreds of home units since Hurricane Sandy...

The smallest units were 10-12's and now 18-20 is pretty std. and up....and we always have a few in stock...

All air cooled..... the Propane and Nat Gas units are the same.....just a small modification to go from Nat. gas to LP

Yes you will need a big propane tank and they do use a considerable amount.....Nat Gas would be preferred....but not always possible

We have sold some liquid cooled smaller units.....like 20-25kw range and they were import engines.....not great

We sell GE home units.....air cooled V-Twins

They are installed with an ATS.....Automatic Transfer Switch....Power fails, generator starts automatically and ATS switches over to generator...

The ATS gets installed before the normal service entrance.....

Normal power and gen power go in ATS and out from there to house.

A large home with a big electric service can still use a smaller generator to keep the cost lower

The generator would not be capable of supplying the full load demands so Load Shed Modules get installed.....

You pick what gets powered. Typically AC's are dropped...or maybe 1 if the house has more than 1 unit....

We sell generators of all sizes up to very large units....

Gasoline burning generators are NOT an option and have not been around here for as long as I've worked here...27 years !

Diesel is an option and is a very good choice....Base mounted fuel tanks......

Yes the diesel fuel goes bad from sitting....We have a portable fuel filter system we use sometimes but it can only do so much.

Some homeowners want big power so they go for large units.....

We sell Gillette (medium sized) and Blue Star for larger units...

An evaluation of load requirements needs to be done along with install location and estimates of it all...

Generator maintenance is our bread and butter.....Batteries, routine testing, oil changes and tune ups....

We have 2 guys that mostly do just homeowner units and a lot of them.....Yearly maintenance contracts....

Every storm this place is off the hook and it was a few weeks ago....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
...keep the tank pretty full.

Since a pressure gauge is useless on LPG, and supply is determined by weight, I have to ask how one would know their reserve on a buried tank without simply running out?

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2337 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
quote:
...keep the tank pretty full.

Since a pressure gauge is useless on LPG, and supply is determined by weight, I have to ask how one would know their reserve on a buried tank without simply running out?

They have float gauges. Remember, it is liquid in the tank for the most part.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ballz
posted Hide Post
diesel, 1800 RPM

gas, 3600 RPM

Diesel way quieter, and uses less fuel. I have a 30kw on my house, and if I do not change anything about the way we live while on generator, it uses 15 gallons in 24 hrs.

Posts: 313 | Location: west palm beach, fla. usa | Registered: June 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ballz:
diesel, 1800 RPM

gas, 3600 RPM

Diesel way quieter, and uses less fuel. I have a 30kw on my house, and if I do not change anything about the way we live while on generator, it uses 15 gallons in 24 hrs.

That's a really nice setup to have, and probably pretty spendy as well. Diesel is something I would feel much better about storing. As long as you can keep it flowing at -25f

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Getting some ideas right now on a Standby for the house on NG. Was out for 3.5 days recently. Only issue is running a NG feed all the way to the other side of the house where the meter is. I have 2 friends that have the Generac. No issues YET!!!

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
2500 sf home , ac, stove top LP, oven electric. Dryer 220, well 220 and lighting. The solar puts out 10-12 KW pretty easy and I’ve never had a bill. Usual square up us they owe me 1150$. I can get a 500 gal tank for LP. Great ideas thanks all!
200 amp service

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BP758,

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4524 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Barry,
We installed Kohler with a Vortec V-6 at work. That thing was about as trouble free and good running as any generator I have ever seen.

One in the size you are looking for with the Vortec Inline 4 cylinder is worth taking a look at. They are a little more money, but as always, you get what you pay for.

http://kohlerpower.com/onlinec...srpsheets15-48kw.pdf

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add we had ours setup for dual fuel.

Natural Gas primary and LP backup. Would automatically fail over to LP if there was a loss of NG.

Posts: 457 | Location: coquille,or | Registered: November 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks Joe ! I’m looking now.

Raceless in California!

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ballz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by Ballz:
diesel, 1800 RPM

gas, 3600 RPM

That's a really nice setup to have, and probably pretty spendy as well. Diesel is something I would feel much better about storing. As long as you can keep it flowing at -25f

I paid 12K for genset. I live in south Florida so diesel gelling isn't a problem, but not having a genset is a problem.

Posts: 313 | Location: west palm beach, fla. usa | Registered: June 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Unless you have deep pockets or your utility is unable to deliver reliable power, you should consider these gen sets as temporary and size it accordingly. I can start and run a 2 ton split high SEER AC unit and 2 hp water pump on a smallish contractor grade gasser. Of course lights and refrigerator. Other big power items take some cycling of the higher loads.
I have a Campbell Hausfeld made in Ohio
6000 continues watts 11 hp BS.
I only use it post hurricane. Last time for 2 weeks.
If you need AC a hard to start kit on the compressor makes a big difference.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
Power outages will become normal in California with our Liberal Legislatures move to switch to "Green Power". "Green power" will never be capable of sustaining enough power to supply the State during the summer months. Having a back up system will be a necessity if you live in hotter in-land areas.

All our neighbors have generator sets as well as solar. Our electric bill dropped from a summer average of more than $420 to less than $20 each month. The Utility Company sends us an annual settlement fee which in the past 11 years has never exceeded $75.

My only concern with a propane tank near the house is a fire, something that Californians experience every summer. One propane tank explosion can pretty much ruin you entire day.

Bob

Wait until everyone has electric cars charging every night...

Posts: 69 | Location: area 51 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Lmao! They think they have a strained Grid now! Exactly! But battery cars are the way to go... still relies on fossil...
Sorry, we have to cut your power so we can charge the gov fleet of Tesla’s..

Raceless in California!

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wait until everyone has electric cars charging every night...

For those that doubt the validity of this statement:

https://techcrunch.com/2020/08...us-vehicle-programs/

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2337 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post