New
Find
Notify
Tools

Irwindale Status
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
What is the status of the Irwindale 1/8th Mile Drag Strip? I've been hearing that it is either being relocated or closed.

Bob

Posts: 3086 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Why not go to their website and check their schedule?

L8R, Mike

Posts: 12289 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Went to the Irwindale Drag Race site but didn't find any information about either the 2024 event schedule or any information about them relocating the facility.

Thanks for the help Mike, I thought that someone may have heard about them moving and could provide more information.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Bob

Posts: 3086 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I know there is a Jr test and tune on February 10th but honestly I wouldn’t put to much credibility from anyone right now

L8R, Mike

Posts: 12289 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Guess I should mention that the owner of Irwindale did purchase Kern County Racewsy

L8R, Mike

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike English:
Guess I should mention that the owner of Irwindale did purchase Kern County Racewsy

What/where is Kern County Raceway?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4473 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
West side of Bakersfield off the 5

L8R, Mike

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
West side of Bakersfield off the 5

Oh that's the little circle track out there that Harvick has something to do with...
No dragracing...

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4473 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
They were open last weekend for Power Tour West

I'm not in a bad mood, I just look that way.........

Posts: 993 | Location: Kingman, Arizona | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by double trouble:
They were open last weekend for Power Tour West

Irwindale or kern County?

Dave

F J B

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

That was a topic of conversation at the race we were at a few weeks ago. Apparently some talk of building an 1/8 mile drag facility. My understanding is the property Irwindale is sitting on has already been sold, I believe two years ago now. TO an equity firm. The land the dragstrip is on mostly apparently has some value for redevelopment, but the circle track side does not as it used to be a "dump" and mitigation is more than its worth. But no mention of the track going anywhere anytime soon.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I went to lunch with my son Mike today and we discussed Drag Strips and Circle Tracks in Southern California. Mike ran a Southwest Tour Circle track Car for many years before converting to dar racing and buying a Top Dragster. He told me that the property that the Irwindale Drag Strip sits on has been sold and will become a parking lot for the many businesses located across the street from the Drag Strip.

The new plan is to add a 1/8th mile Drag Strip on the Kearn County Raceway site west of Bakersfield off the I-5. Who will manage the Drag Strip is still undecided but it appears it might be Tim Huddelstone and/or his wife Lisa. Tim is also in line to manage the Roseville Circle Track (that would be interesting, managing two Circle tracks at the same time). In any event as it currently stands Kearn will serve as the replacement for Irwindale but since it's a 1/8th mile track would not have a LODRS event.

Bob

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Other than the internet there has been no mention of a drag strip by the powers at Kern County Raceway

L8R, Mike

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Well if it even happens a 1/8th mile track in Kern county will do nothing for the racers in La County losing the only track in existence

Posts: 2433 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Big Steve, the value of land even a parking lot has become huge and track operators and a lot of other businesses are taking advantage of the situation. Most the racers at Irwindale won’t make the trip to Famoso so I doubt seeing them making the trip to Kern County.

L8R, Mike

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
During our trip to Irwindale I was really impressed with the large spectator turn out and the professional manner in which the event was run. The track prep was outstanding the 60, 330 and 660 numbers were equal to the best times the car ever made. The only concerning issue was the "Merge" of the two lanes just beyond the finish line. Other than that it is a great place to race.

I agree with Mike and Steve, very few of the Irwindale spectators and racers will be willing to venture over the hill (the Grapevine) and go to Kern during the hot summer months. You've got to be a serious hard core spectator, or Racer to stand in the sun for 8 plus hours in 108* particularly when you're not accustom to that much heat. From June through late September / early October the Central Valley is an oven.

The price of land in the LA, the Bay Area and San Diego pretty much eliminates dedicating this much area to a drag strip, the return on investment (ROI) has to be a non starter. Drag Strips have been pushed out of metropolitan areas in California and relagated to the deserts.

Bob