DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    New Silverado-Beautiful.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Silverado-Beautiful.
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted
Yesterday while unloading my groceries.there was a new Silverado parked next to me. As they stared it up something under the hood sounded rough. Sounded like a loose belt or tensioner then it sounded like the lifters were loose. I think it was a 4 cyl turbo. There are a lot of those. Is this gonna be a thing of there future or maybe just stops soon? Why the 4 CYL. thinG? The old 4.3 was very dependable and decent on gas.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
don't know what you heard but it was not a 4 cylinder turbo. Only 2 engines available...the 470HP, 975 lb.-FT torque Duramax 6.6L V8 turbo diesel or the 401HP, 464 lb.-FT torque 6.6L V8 Gas engine

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
They also have the 2.7L. It is a 4 cylinder.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Guess you are talking about a 1500 and not a 2500

Sadly the engine and transmission quality on GM trucks in the 1500 range is not a comparison to the 2500

The vortecs were great, been a lot of problems with newer products, at least in my small circle (1500, not 2500)

Opted for the diesel engine in my wife’s gmc Yukon

Posts: 790 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Don't underestimate the turbo engines. I don't know what the long term reliability will be, but my sister has a Lincoln Navigator with the 3.5L turbo Ecoboost, 455hp, and it is a BEAST. I'm sure it must weigh 6,000lbs, but's it's like driving a muscle car.

Mike

Posts: 1563 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Yes I’m taking about the 2500 and I wouldn’t own a 1500, it’s useless for why I have a pickup truck.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
Yesterday while unloading my groceries.there was a new Silverado parked next to me. As they stared it up something under the hood sounded rough. Sounded like a loose belt or tensioner then it sounded like the lifters were loose. I think it was a 4 cyl turbo. There are a lot of those. Is this gonna be a thing of there future or maybe just stops soon? Why the 4 CYL. thinG? The old 4.3 was very dependable and decent on gas.

No, they were gas hogs compared to today's engines. Great utility engines, like the smallblock they are. Lots of industrial duty models out there too.
An LS style "3/4 smallblock" would be interesting?

LOL, I can't seem to get my son in law to grasp the concept that to generate 400 HP on regular gasoline requires a certain quantity of fuel, regardless of the number of cylinders, or whether it's NA or boosted. He thinks the sun rises and sets in peak HP numbers of turbocharged eurotrash.
I've always found that you can get the job done with less, if you work it much harder. The juice isn't worth the squeeze for me.

Auto makers cannot afford to build rear wheel drive passenger cars anymore, so your choices for a decent ****pit / passenger accommodations, or just the feel of an actual vehicle worth driving, you need a crew cab pickup truck.

We like our V-6 Acadia for her grocery getter and commute duty, but it's still a FWD ****box to drive.

Now, with all that said, I think my next daily driver may be a 1500 crew cab short bed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Goob,

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1659 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
I like the 5.3 in the 1500 series.

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Count on a new turbo every 100,000 on these smaller boosted gas engines.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: adv ET 266,

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:
Count on a new turbo every 1,000,000 on these smaller boosted gas engines.
If i could get a million miles out of it,I wouldn't worry about the turbo!! Smile HMMMM

Posts: 262 | Location: Fayetteville | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Humans are scared of change.

I don't have a dog in a fight, and I do love my 4.8 1500 silverado, but GM isn't going back to a carb'd 454 and 3 on the tree. Full size turbo'd trucks, electric cars, hybrids, etc are going to have issues but no matter how much we complain, it's not going to turn 1968 again.

Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1800gb:
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:
Count on a new turbo every 1,000,000 on these smaller boosted gas engines.
If i could get a million miles out of it,I wouldn't worry about the turbo!! Smile HMMMM

Ops lol

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
I like the 5.3 in the 1500 series.

I got 190,000 on my 5.3 in my 2014 Silverado and still runs great. I never had an issue with that motor but am sure I just jinxed myself.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sc4087
posted Hide Post
If you own a 1500 it will need lifters and more than likely a cam before it reaches 100k. And carry a case of oil with you to top it off between oil changes.

Mike Greene

Posts: 509 | Location: Burleson, TX | Registered: March 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of TPaton
posted Hide Post
I have the 1500. With the 6.2l. And max tow package. My 2015 had 155k on it and never used a drop of oil. My current 2017 (same exact truck) has 85k on it and no issues. Both pulled my 9500# trailer well, and I average 19mpg between city and highway driving.

Posts: 105 | Location: PA | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The little 4 cyl is just GM's copying of Ford's successes with their Ecoboost models. BUT--I will say, after driving a 2.7 powered silverado, it is pretty impressive. I personally think it has more torque than the 5.3 does, or at least it felt like it to me. I still wouldn't own one (because it's a GM) but the little thing was pretty impressive. Also got 24 mpg on that trip, no load on it of course. Well, a few atv tires in the bed. Was a loaner truck for when the shop truck was in the shop having a bunch of work done on it (17 2500 duramax, 108,000 mi). Shop truck needed an oil pan reseal, def header assembly, def tank (it was leaking) and one injector. Boss wasn't happy about the cost of it either but he didn't say how much it was. They asked us if I wanted to do the oil pan. I said NOPE!

Posts: 106 | Location: Il,IL | Registered: March 22, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sc4087:
If you own a 1500 it will need lifters and more than likely a cam before it reaches 100k. And carry a case of oil with you to top it off between oil changes.

The comment above is for owners who do zero maintenance. Try changing your oil every now and then. I have a 2017 Suburban 1500 with 5.3L. I tow with it, 80,000 miles, zero issues. Never uses a drop of oil. Great truck.

Mike

Posts: 1563 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
quote:
Originally posted by sc4087:

The comment above is for owners who do zero maintenance. Try changing your oil every now and then. I have a 2017 Suburban 1500 with 5.3L. I tow with it, 80,000 miles, zero issues. Never uses a drop of oil. Great truck.

Right because mine doesn’t use oil nor has the lifters or anything else in the motor he’s changed. Omit just fell apart in the parking lot at work after that comment.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
If your pulling your trailer-just an open trailer won't the turbos just stay into high boost? Thus breaking the bottom end ? I have heard of the old 4.8 and 5.3 going 400k easily.