DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    PIT VEHICLES AND SAFETY NHRA
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PIT VEHICLES AND SAFETY NHRA
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
With the recent rash of serious accidents in the pit area involving pit vehicles at NHRA National events, I wonder how long it will be before NHRA mandates the use of helmets on scooters and seatbelts on golf carts? I am sure their insurance carrier is hounding them for this as we speak.

It's not what you've got, it's what you give, it's not the life you choose, it's the life you live.

Posts: 2120 | Location: Napa, California | Registered: December 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
Stirring the pot Mike?
Super Angry

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Just saw a new SFI cert for golf cart cage but it's only good up to 15mph.
Bw

Ok, just kidding but you were gonna go look anyway..... SFI spec list

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Motor governor implemented so that pit vehicles can not exceed 5mph. This governor must be SFI certified and all pit vehicles must pass tech.

Posts: 795 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I believe NHRA workers are required to wear helmets operating scooters.

Posts: 1464 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
I don't know how many of guys know Harold, the lane master at a lot of events out here on the gold coast, but he took a nasty header from a scooter few years ago and we almost lost him.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
One of our local racers did the same thing and almost died. I have really considered putting on a helmet.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5315 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike MacBrair:
With the recent rash of serious accidents in the pit area involving pit vehicles at NHRA National events, I wonder how long it will be before NHRA mandates the use of helmets on scooters and seatbelts on golf carts? I am sure their insurance carrier is hounding them for this as we speak.

NHRA put staff in them! We Joked Big Paul looked like the Great Gazoo!!! LMAO
I'm sure its coming Mike.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BP758,

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4510 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bry-war:
Just saw a new SFI cert for golf cart cage but it's only good up to 15mph.
Bw

Ok, just kidding but you were gonna go look anyway..... SFI spec list

Laughing Hard

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4510 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
engine diapers now required for gas powered pit vehicles

sticker to drive your pit vehicle around costs more if its gas powered as a "green tax"

NHRA pit vehicle licenses and test passes required to operate a pit vehicle

Posts: 795 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Have no idea what NHRA might do
But, more people get hurt in the pits and staging lanes than most people think.
We lost a fellow racer a few years ago to a golf cart accident.
Most of us are doing it right, paying attention, going a safe speed, etc.
Some ruin it for all, will that change? not likely, more rules? Likely
Last week, had a guy coming at us on a scooter, texting, we saw him long before he saw us, we slowed down and were ready for the collision, last second he looked up and smiled.
Can't fix stupid, but maybe you can run it over.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD6297
posted Hide Post
The track here already does for anything other than golf carts or side by sides

Posts: 150 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Not trying to start anything, just looking ahead at what might be coming soon. Wondering how racers will accept it? Several really bad accidents in the last couple of years. I think its either seat belts for golf carts and helmets for scooters or we walk. Insurance companies and lawyers!!!!!

It's not what you've got, it's what you give, it's not the life you choose, it's the life you live.

Posts: 2120 | Location: Napa, California | Registered: December 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I should be wearing a helmet. I’m older and admittedly not the most coordinated scooter driver on the planet. My friend’s head looked like a basketball after his crash.

As far as the golf carts go, don’t drink and ride. Another friend almost died twice from getting drunk and falling off the cart. You would think he would have learned the first time. He was at a golf course and not at the races though.

Posts: 5315 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Reading further I see that a bike helmet should be OK for a pit scooter as they are rated for anything less than 25 mph.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I just dont see John Force wearing a helmet riding his scooter around waving at the fans but I guess anything is possible

Posts: 2433 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Lol,pro racers and crew would get exemptions,for sure.

Posts: 1015 | Location: LIVERMORE CA. | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mark Walter
posted Hide Post
On the whole idea of safety and pit vehicles. I'm amazed at how many people allow their kids, well under 16 year old, to drive every form of pit vehicle on the planet regardless of the rules against it.

Mark Walter, Senior Chaplain
JAMA Racing Ministry

"A wise person is hungry for truth, while the fool feeds on trash." Proverbs 15:14
"Laus Deo!"

Posts: 299 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
^^^^^This

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have to tell a funny story and an "almost" pit incident in Vegas.

Jess Nelson, his 5 year old daughter, his girlfriend and Pivot and I were walking through the pits. She was the cutest thing and she told everyone "We have to hold hands" and we all just looked at each other. She says "No, we HAVE to" so here we all are holding hands and walking in the pits.

All of a sudden she takes off running and jumps on this guy's golf cart and hits the gas. Someone had left the key on and the cart takes off and almost hits the guy's dragster.

Jess told her, "You're getting a spanking for that" and after she gets her spanking she looks at him through those little girl tears and says "but I'm a good driver." Only a woman right?

We laughed our butts off!