DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Buying a new house? Division 2 area
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying a new house? Division 2 area
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I moved here from Baltimore area about 15 years ago. Rude awakening was personal property tax, yearly vehicle inspection and emissions test. It would have cost me over $10,000 just to get my vehicles registered + the continuing fees and inspections that go on forever. Solution, I still own my home in Baltimore and claim it as my primary residence and all but one vehicle are registered there. The + side is all of those tracks mentioned are around 2 hours from here, other than Bristol which is 3 as is VMP. 700mi to West Palm. Good luck

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind the ride then Greenville,SC is good because the rides are pretty easy. If you lived in Asheville then you understand that the rides from there or E TN are a little tougher with a mountain to go up or down no matter what direction you go.

Posts: 1459 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Freddie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
If you don't mind the ride then Greenville,SC is good because the rides are pretty easy. If you lived in Asheville then you understand that the rides from there or E TN are a little tougher with a mountain to go up or down no matter what direction you go.

We will be upgrading to a new motorhome shortly after moving so the ride will be a little more comfortable.

Posts: 685 | Location: Anderson SC. | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Freddie
posted Hide Post
We have been looking at some properties however some of them seem to have neighbors a little close for my liking. What do you look for in a neighborhood to make sure there will not be issues down the road with having a race car?

Posts: 685 | Location: Anderson SC. | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
No HOA. ever. You want your own place. You need a garage. Smile

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This place is about 20 mi from town and all I have for neighbors are cows anywhere close. I have 5ac, 2400sq ft house and a 52 by 40 garage with heat and air in 1/2 of it. They did put a Dollar General near by a couple of years ago but I can't see it from my house. You need a good agent and tell them what you want without being to picky about where it is with in reason. I just told them central NC and what I wanted expecting to have to build a garage but got it all by being willing to be out here in the country.

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Freddie:
We have been looking at some properties however some of them seem to have neighbors a little close for my liking. What do you look for in a neighborhood to make sure there will not be issues down the road with having a race car?

look for single wides and junk cars in the yards. No one will care about your race car.

Posts: 1459 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Not worthy

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Freddie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
quote:

look for single wides and junk cars in the yards. No one will care about your race car.

It is funny you post that because one of the properties we are looking at has just that next door.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
And the key to that is don't worry about what your neighbor does if he leaves you alone to do your thing

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Wild Wild West 2
posted Hide Post
I live in Spartanburg and it's nice here. I would advise you to stay away from Anderson County, seems there is more crime there than Greenville or Spartanburg just because it is closer to the Georgia state line. Definitely stay away from any HOA neighborhoods. If you look in Spartanburg, try to avoid the Boiling Springs area. It is a very fast paced area with lots of developement of what I call "sardine" houses. If you want to live in a more "country" setting, try looking in Landrum, Campobello or Inman. You could even go up as far as Columbus or Tryon too. Although, if you go to Columbus or Tryon, that will be North Carolina and you get stuck with different taxes and emission testing on your vehicles. Stay in South Carolina to avoid that. And yes, you will have Greer Dragway in the Greenville/Spartanburg area. I was at their banquet a few weeks ago and they are planning to have a $10,000 footbrake race this year. They always have a couple of $5000 Top ET races too. It's a nice track with a good concession stand and newer bathrooms. And if you don't like that, you can still travel to Union County Dragway, Atlanta Dragway, Shadyside Dragway, Mooresville Dragway, Farmington Dragway, Bristol Dragway, Piedmont Dragway, Rockingham Dragway, Darlington Dragway, Carolina Dragway and they are ALL within 3 hours from Spartanburg.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Wild Wild West 2,

Tim West
"Wild Wild West" Racing

mickeythompsontires.com
tciauto.com
compcams.com
www.motorsportsinnovations.com

Posts: 309 | Location: Spartanburg,SC | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Freddie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wild Wild West 2:
I live in Spartanburg and it's nice here. I would advise you to stay away from Anderson County, seems there is more crime there than Greenville or Spartanburg just because it is closer to the Georgia state line. Definitely stay away from any HOA neighborhoods. If you look in Spartanburg, try to avoid the Boiling Springs area. It is a very fast paced area with lots of developement of what I call "sardine" houses. If you want to live in a more "country" setting, try looking in Landrum, Campobello or Inman. You could even go up as far as Columbus or Tryon too. Although, if you go to Columbus or Tryon, that will be North Carolina and you get stuck with different taxes and emission testing on your vehicles. Stay in South Carolina to avoid that. And yes, you will have Greer Dragway in the Greenville/Spartanburg area. I was at their banquet a few weeks ago and they are planning to have a $10,000 footbrake race this year. They always have a couple of $5000 Top ET races too. It's a nice track with a good concession stand and newer bathrooms. And if you don't like that, you can still travel to Union County Dragway, Atlanta Dragway, Shadyside Dragway, Mooresville Dragway, Farmington Dragway, Bristol Dragway, Piedmont Dragway, Rockingham Dragway, Darlington Dragway, Carolina Dragway and they are ALL within 3 hours from Spartanburg.

Thank you. We are looking for a realtor if you know of a good one in the area who understand the needs of a racer. We will be up there Wednesday through Sunday of next week looking at different areas. We have been to many of the tracks you mentioned when we lived in Asheville, how much racing is there up there with a Dragster?

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Wild Wild West 2
posted Hide Post
There is lots of racing in the area for a Top ET car or dragster. Again, I go back to the Greer Dragway as the example. They race every weekend, but they will only have 10 "points" races in which you claim your best 8. The minimum purse in Top ET every weekend is $1000 to win, $200 runner-up (I believe) and they pay round money starting with 2nd round win. They also usually have a "bonus" class of 4.99 and faster that pays an extra $500 total for winner and runner-up. And the winner goes into the next round of regular Top ET. All this info may change for this year, but that's the way they have ran for years.

Can't help you with the realtor, other than to look at Zillow.com or something similar.

Tim West
"Wild Wild West" Racing

mickeythompsontires.com
tciauto.com
compcams.com
www.motorsportsinnovations.com

Posts: 309 | Location: Spartanburg,SC | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Schedule and payout is a little different at Greer Dragway but WWW is close. They adopted a new points series and schedule last year. They do run “pretty much” every Saturday but only have a total of 10 points races. The points races pay more than the non-points races. 2k is the purse in Top for points races. It’s 1/8th mile with cars running as fast as 4.3x’s @ 155 that stop.

Like WWW said about the areas in South Carolina are my opinions as well. I live in Polk County, North Carolina and its a rural area. So we don’t have the emissions to deal with as most NC counties do. The problem is that it’s a small county and land is a premium so it’s hard to find any decent acreage without paying a wad for it. I have some friends that work for Coldwell Bankers Realty in Columbus, NC if anything in that area interests you.

Posts: 115 | Location: 2008 IHRA SSS No Box WC | Registered: June 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Freddie
posted Hide Post
Well we just got back from the Greenville area, and saw some nice properties, however nothing that really jumped out at us to say this is the one. We are continuing to work with our realtor but also widening the search to include areas such as Columbia SC, and Macon GA.

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I remember something about nuclear waste near Columbia. You might like it but I never liked the weather in Columbia.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Freddie
posted Hide Post
The hardest part for us is replicating or finding better than what we currently have. We have a very nice home on 2.5 acres, with a decent size shop. It is easy to get a motorhome and trailer into the yard, and turn it around. We also have all the other amenities close by that we need. the only issue with our current home is I share the shop with my brother which is a deal that was made with mom and dad before moms passing, and since we are the only ones with any yard it becomes a storage area for other things (Again something mom and dad allowed before since they lived in a small home we built for them on the back of the property). We are going to keep looking but for now I guess we will focus on finishing the new race car, and traveling to select races.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Yes keep looking. I traveled down here at least a dozen times to look at things that "looked like it" and one rainy day after looking at another loser saw this place in the MLS sheet in the real estate office. They pop up now and then so just keep looking-------

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Freddie
posted Hide Post
Well in the past month we have looked at quite a few properties in three different states, and simply have not found anything that compares to what we already have, so we have decided to simply stay put, and instead of buying a new home, we are going to buy a new motorhome and trailer for traveling to the races,and to just get out more and see the sights. Thank you all for the help and wisdom.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
The hardest part for us is replicating or finding better than what we currently have. We have a very nice home on 2.5 acres, with a decent size shop. It is easy to get a motorhome and trailer into the yard, and turn it around. We also have all the other amenities close by that we need.

I feel your pain. My wife and I built 3000 sq ft plus finished basement on 24 acres very rurally. Built a nice for me shop and have a pole barn for large storage including the motor home. I like Illinois for the change of seasons and I love our rural property. But the winters can be worse than even I like.(and I really don't like hot weather) The state is getting pretty wacky politics wise, and it really run by Chicago. Property taxes are high for what we have. We have really enjoyed vacations to northeast TN. I just fear that any move we make will have me looking back at what we had.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post