DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    How do you know when your late?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you know when your late?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted
Top bulb or bottom.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
When the win light comes on in the other lane. Smile Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Rabbit dies

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6409 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
^^^^Both good answers^^^^

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
I'm certainly not Joe bracket racer, but I need to be about 40 or more before it “seems” late at the hit. So I carry 35 in the bump down. I know a racer (quite accomplished) that claims he only uses 2 or 3 at the max…..how do you see that?

This guy is sub 20 almost every hit and you can watch him (pipe rack), when he is tapping, he is literally tapping and never seems to bump red.

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Rabbit dies

No that is when she is late. Also when your screwed, unless you wanted it to end that way.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
When I think I'm late with the box,seams every time I bump one time, I go .00 something red. So what do I know ?

Posts: 23 | Location: P.A. | Registered: February 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
When I see my time ticket. Lol.

Seriously I know people who SAY they know when opponent cut a good light or not on a staggered tree and if they did and killed the tree.

I have enough trouble concentrating on my own tree. Now on a heads up pro tree I look to see where my opponent is to get an idea of who had better light even before the 60 foot. If I am really late I can tell.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4020 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I took the bump down out of my car. I may have hit it 10 times in 20 years.

And 50% of the time I shouldn't have hit it.

I abide by the theory of hit it best the first time.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I was told once to put a “LOSE” label on the bump down button

Posts: 2432 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
top bulb - when i lean forward as the bottom bulb comes on and car isn't moving yet. At least 30 on the tree in those situations.

bottom bulb - when i flinch off the top and footbrake...only experience lol

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Seat time....

Posts: 267 | Location: Irving, Texas | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have never been late! But sometimes I don't have the right numbers in the box.... Big Grin

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Where the car is in relation to when I see green is usually a good indicator. I "usually" know when I missed it.....there have been times I thought I hit it good and was late. This was the genesis of my question regarding night time reaction times recently. Thought I hit it decent and was 0.035 to 0.045 and it felt like a solid teen to 20 light. I agree with the statement seat time but human perception is a strange thing.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Footloose:
Top bulb or bottom.

Practice tree with bump down option.
I've got to be .02x or later to hit it.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I never know when I let go off the top, but I’ll know when the car leaves. I’ve never bumped. I’ve had the option in my dragster for many years, but don’t even have a bump button in my door car.

I usually have a decent feel for how I was off the bottom.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3161 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
If my throttle goes wide open "after" my top bulb goes out..
Pro stage. If I hit the tree car will go full throttle just as the top bulb goes on.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
If the light ain't turning colors when I go by

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of The Hawk
posted Hide Post
I`m pretty consistent knowing if I`m late on the top bulb. No bump down ability, rely on finish line decisions.

Bottom bulb is a different story. I`ve had days where I felt like I missed it a touch and its .010, typically ends in a bad way a round or two later. Also have days where I know I`ve hit it, shows a .060 on the slip.

Days when I`m on, you just know it`s not great, rely on the top end.

Never throw in the towel when you leave!

lane weber

perfecting a better mousetrap

Posts: 160 | Location: Littleton, Colorado | Registered: November 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted Hide Post
I know I'm late off the top bulb when the starter knocks on my window and tells me I can leave when I'm ready

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports
www.dynastymotorsports.com

Posts: 456 | Location: Ft. Washington, MD USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post