DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Electric golf car vs gas golf cart
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electric golf car vs gas golf cart
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
I'm thinking about getting a golf cart, and the old thinking was always gas is better, but obviously electric technology has changed over the years and 90% of carts for sale are electric.

What are the real world experiences with electric carts for the race track? We have a 12.5 onan generator, so I can't see having any issues with having enough power to charge it. Do the batteries last a weekend? A day? Am I going to have to charge throughout the day? Are they still super heavy? Anyone with real world experience?

Or, anyone semi close to California have a mechanically sound gas one for sale? I don't want to be working on a ******* golf cart all weekend

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1087 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Gas all the way, if you buy an electric when you’re replacing the batteries you’ll say I should have bought gas.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5328 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Bought my gas cart used in 1996 still have it its needed a clutch in all that time cant wear it out

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 426 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Completely different view. Smart car---same size, weighs about the same, has a/c and heat, and if you tag it you can drive it to town which is handy when your rig breaks down in the middle of nowhere. They are hard to find these days but if you can find one costs 1/2 as much as a golf cart. As for electric ones---friend had one blow up a battery in his garage $1000s of damage and several have caught fire in the trailer. SO--you decide.

Posts: 6246 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have one of each. The electric is 48 volt 2022. The gas is a 2012. I would never consider taking the electric cart. It weighs a ton and has 6 batteries bouncing in the trailer.
I considered a smart car but then found out NHRA will not allow them in TD & TS.

Posts: 114 | Location: NY | Registered: April 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Had an electric because it was cheap at the time. When I switched to TD and had to tow the car I learned really fast that wasn't going to work. Switched to gas and never looked back. Change the oil once a year and put gas in it every now and then and thats the extent of the maintenance

Posts: 2516 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 7110
posted Hide Post
gas all the way!

Posts: 1600 | Location: AZ | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Completely different view. Smart car---same size, weighs about the same, has a/c and heat, and if you tag it you can drive it to town which is handy when your rig breaks down in the middle of nowhere. They are hard to find these days but if you can find one costs 1/2 as much as a golf cart. As for electric ones---friend had one blow up a battery in his garage $1000s of damage and several have caught fire in the trailer. SO--you decide.

My gas Ezgo TXT with back seat weighs 900 lbs. ELectric cart is another 100-200lbs or so.

A Smartcar Fortwo weights 2100 lbs.

Posts: 282 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Problem with the smart car is there is only room for 2 people, golf cart with back seat has room for 4 so it depends on what your needs are

Posts: 2516 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Just like the "electric car movement" the electric option seems great until you need it and the battery is dead or have to go and put a new battery pack in it or it catches on fire. Sure electric has a place in the future(look what they are doing on smaller scales with RC cars) but the technology still needs to improve leaps and bounds before it will ever be considered to replace combustion engines. in my opinion.

------------------------------------------
killer of MT82s
Converter Guy

Posts: 28 | Location: Deland | Registered: December 09, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a 2024 electric golf cart with the lithium battery setup. Its is an awesome cart. It has two speeds low speed is 15 mph and high speed is 25 mph. The charge lasts for a good amount of time. It has no problem pushing or pulling my dragster.

Posts: 105 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: September 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
How much gas can you buy for $900 bucks the price of 6 batteries.

Posts: 615 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I like the gas golf cart but think the Smart car is a better idea. Has air conditioning and if you had to run to town for hamburger or car parts etc you could. Smart car is actually 6 inches shorter than my Club Car golf cart.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4191 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
I still love my vintage 1982 EZ-Go gas cart. It sips very little fuel. Easily pulled my 3600# door car a long way at the track when that was necessary, with 2 men on the cart and me in the car. I've had it over 9 years, all I've had to do on it in that time is replace the single battery once, (a Honda Car battery from O'Reilly fit perfectly, was a big upgrade in capacity, and cost about $100).
And I went through the carb once, just because I was replacing all the old fuel lines since they may have been the originals. Oh, and I did put some cool looking oversize wheels and tires on it some years back.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1076 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S/C718:
I recently bought a 2024 electric golf cart with the lithium battery setup. Its is an awesome cart. It has two speeds low speed is 15 mph and high speed is 25 mph. The charge lasts for a good amount of time. It has no problem pushing or pulling my dragster.

what was the cost?

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1543 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
It was $9300.00

Posts: 105 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: September 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Ken MacNicol
posted Hide Post
I have 2 friends who did not even keep there electrics a year, before selling and getting gas

Posts: 41 | Location: Hendersonville, Tenn. | Registered: December 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Gas cart is the only option for racing.

Posts: 425 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Can yo even buy a gas cart in California? I prefer gas and have had both but you are correct electric has gotten much better. The new elec carts are Lithium batteries these days like your Tesla Smile

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 1018 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Fossil da mit ! I’m ridin that Dino till it’s gone!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4597 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post