DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Cycling improves reaction times
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cycling improves reaction times
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted
I have know clue, but was wondering who else cycles for fun and health. I’m at 8200 miles year to date. Let’s connect on Strava if you ride.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
My son uses that App and in the past rode many miles on his various bikes.

I think his work schedule made him cut back

I was the jogger, walk now and just came in from 4 mile loop I do constantly

No matter what it is cardio and helps for sure

I did some fairly long bike rides and they kicked my a-s-s !

Used way different muscles than jogging and my back wasn’t real happy after a long tough ride.

I did not have a good road bike and it was more of an off-road hybrid.

I still have that bike and ride it at the racetrack

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I'm an avid cyclist but not having much of a year this year due to a pinched nerve, but that's past. Currently consumed with getting things ready for my daughter and grandson to visit. But after the 4th of July I'm hopeful to get some time in the saddle. The heat of summer isn't the best time to start getting into shape but I'll do what I can and make it the best season I can.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Being fit is always preferable to being unfit. Cycling, jogging, walking, whatever - it's all good.

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I started biking again. Did a few mountain bike trails. Good fun. If it keeps me sharp on the tree all the better. I bring mine to the track and does my wife and son. We use it to get around the pits or go for a night time ride after racing. Great activity for anyone especially families.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I did the Peloton over the winter, and have a 6.5 mile loop around town that I try to do at lunchtime during the week. It’s amazing to me consistent the times are; usually right around 25 minutes.

I love mountain biking but it takes too much time. Been a few years since I’ve had that bike out.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3162 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Great to see you guys spending quality time like that. Rich I was a runner for ages, but old age messed up my knees (arthritis, torn meniscus and spurs) so started cycling in 2014. Knees still an issue, but I can ride for hours at my happy power of 100-125w avg. ftp is 170. During the pandemic, I bought a Wahoo KICKR and started using Zwift. It’s one hell of a workout, but best of all I’m no longer constrained by the weather. My second hand 2016 Roubaix has been good, but I’m looking for a new road bike. I’ve put 45,000 miles on that CF bike. I’m on a list for a Canyon CF SLX 9.0 Di2 on Sram Red Axis, but nobody has bikes in stock so it may not happen this year. I’d love to try MTB and trails but in my area cycling spots are super limited. Area is Too built up. I ride on Ocean Blvd between Palm Beach inlet and Hillsboro Inlet. About 75% has a margin and the speed limit is 35. Most of us roadies ride there. Nice view and low enough speed so it’s possible to survive a kamikaze car.
Look me up on Strava if you run or bike. Most of you have stage names so I’m unable to. I’m Paul Schultz Lake Worth Fl cheers

4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Keith Richards 768Q
posted Hide Post
I have ridden since 2012 and on a good year am at 6k a year,12 hour work days and cars cut in too my riding as does life. Almost 35k since joining Strava. Concentration level in the race car was definitely up I noticed after a few months of cycling and more consistent good lights. Worst part about cycling is since the wife started cycling with me about 6 years ago we have amassed a bit of a collection of bikes between us,last count was around 15. LOL Our newest are Cervelo S3's with disc and Di2. Great riding & climbing here in NorCal through vineyards/ocean,ect.

Posts: 239 | Location: Windsor, CA. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
Paul - I've been following you for a few years but you never followed me back. LOL.

As you know, I took a break. I got fat. Been back at it heavily since March 8. Lost my 40 pounds and feeling good. I haven't ridden outdoors since I got back at it but have been riding the spin bike at home. Unfortunately I haven't been on it in a while now as it seems I have been constantly traveling for work and baseball. I'm still logging miles jogging and walking, and using some classes on Beach Body and Apple Fitness+. It looks like Ill get at least 2 weeks at home soon so hoping to get my Camber back out and shred some single track.

I'm honestly considering selling my Roubaix as I just cant see myself back on the road too much. The Spin Bike kind of scratches that itch for me and I don't have to worry about cars.

We turned one of the garage bays into a gym over the winter for my son to lift and work on his pitching strength program. So Between the rower, ski-erg, treadmill, spin bike, and weights I have no excuses. I enjoy working out with him some too when I am at home.

One goal I set for myself when I woke up on March 8. Close the rings on my apple watch every day. That is the minimum. It is set to 970 Move calories, 30 minutes of exercise, and 12 stand hours. So far I have been successful.

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
Being fit is always preferable to being unfit. Cycling, jogging, walking, whatever - it's all good.

That is s true, it makes it easier to handle the heat and stress when you are in good shape. I would think it would help your reaction times and be a better racer.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4035 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I'm sure cycling improves reaction times, but a much easier way is to just roll some numbers out of the box, works every time!

HMMMM Falling of chair laughing

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:

That is s true, it makes it easier to handle the heat and stress when you are in good shape. I would think it would help your reaction times and be a better racer.

I also think it helps to spend some time out in the heat and humidity away from the race track - cut your own grass, whatever.

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Keith Richards 768Q
posted Hide Post
Found out by cycling I have some collector in me as well, among the bikes I have a few old American made Treks, This one has been verified to be one of Kevin Livingston's 1999 tour bikes, He was the climber on the team and who knows this bike might have helped him lead out Lance Armstrong in the mountains with his 1st TdF win.

This model was only made two years a 1998 Trek Y-77, outlawed by sanctioning bodies due to no complete seat post.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Keith Richards 768Q,

Posts: 239 | Location: Windsor, CA. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Some amazing bikes Keith. I understand life can get in the way. Your a pro so I’m sure you’ll be giving it hell when you retire.

4.629@149
7.310@185

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by head gamez:
Paul - I've been following you for a few years but you never followed me back. LOL.

Ops Fixed that. Go ride my friend

4.629@149
7.310@185

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I am at a Lucas oil race and after finding a trans leak and having not very good sleep last night, I pulled the trans out and replaced the front seal. Missed the first scheduled S/C session by minutes and really could have made it if I rushed.

Did it essentially by myself with just a litte help getting the trans back up on the jack to get it in.

I’m 73 and without a doubt my constant exercise over the years and concerted effort to keep my weight around 150lbs is why I can do this

Winters are very tough up here in the Northeast and I use my treadmill but not enough in the cold months

I think I might look into getting an indoor bike machine like my son used to have

Cyclosimulator I think it was called.

I tried it and got a heck of a workout in the basement

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SCDIV1,

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
I'm sure cycling improves reaction times, but a much easier way is to just roll some numbers out of the box, works every time!

HMMMM Falling of chair laughing

That is probably true but I tend to think that someone in top physical shape would have quicker reaction times and a smaller window or reaction times. Now that may not much of a difference who knows.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4035 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post