DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    why old people forget
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

why old people forget
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Ever be sitting there talking about something you did or have done most your life and then get that damn I am getting old feeling?

Was talking about cpl things today and on one I stated I had been doing that style work for 40 years. The other was a 35 year comment.

Now imagine being say 75 and saying been doing that for almost 60 years. Easier to just forget and not have to face those numbers. LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Chris how would you like to be almost 80 like me?

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
We should all be so lucky to be as healthy as Fern at almost 80.

Posts: 4815 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:

Vegas probably has a line on that and the odds are not in my favor. LOL

Then hell nobody figured 54 was anywhere near possible.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Ever be sitting there talking about something you did or have done most your life and then get that damn I am getting old feeling?

Was talking about cpl things today and on one I stated I had been doing that style work for 40 years. The other was a 35 year comment.

Now imagine being say 75 and saying been doing that for almost 60 years. Easier to just forget and not have to face those numbers. LOL

No but I forget what we were talkin bout.. Blue Man

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4494 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
or me

Posts: 606 | Location: Lakewood, Co. | Registered: January 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SS427IMP:
quote:
or me

You both are lucky smart individuals. I'm 78 and I have to say my health isn't as good as you guys. If I got down under the race car I would have to call 911 to help me up.
Hurry Up

Posts: 4815 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
been thinking about rail on side of creeper or hoist hooked to my butt to get me off it.

Help I squatted down and can't stand up! That is not nice .Is it? I been bad boy Abbot .

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm 78 and I have to say my health isn't as good as you guys.

I'm just a pup at 73, but am very pleased with my current state of health. While there are those that are in just as good a health my age, I don't know anyone I consider in better shape. I have and do take a pretty good regimen of vitamins and supplements, and at this point, can say I have not one ache or pain currently, knock-on-wood. Today's bike ride will put me over 880 miles for the season, my goal is 1000+ miles. And I've had one 50.2 mi. ride (non stop) so I'm really pleased with that level of fitness. While it's more than last year it's certainly less than in years past. But I do it for enjoyment and must adapt to realistic capabilities.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I will be 72 next month, so I guess I'm qualified to put my two cents worth in here. My left rotator cuff went south on me last october, so I thought I will lay off racing in 2020 and retire at the end of december 2019 and get the surgery done. I had never been under anesthesia before so that was quite the experience waking up from that. Little did I know that there wouldnt be any racing to go to, so I guess I picked the right year to miss. Retirement is boring so Im going back to work, seeing as how racing is my only hobby, and my job is like a hobby cause I really enjoy what I do.

scott horsley

Posts: 296 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Retirement is boring so Im going back to work...

I worked for a guy that came back to work, in a very lucrative position, he didn't need the money I can assure you. He said he would rather "wear out than rust out". Worked for another guy that had worked in Saudi Arabia for over 20 years and was facing retirement with trepidation. Even though he owned a ranch in OK and was worth millions. I must say there is an adaption/acceptance phase to initial retirement. I'm sure it's different for everyone. Me I would never go back to work! I have no interest in fighting the office politics, computer crap, and peoples attitudes in general. I'm content to take care of MY business and enjoy the ride.

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
quote:
Retirement is boring so Im going back to work...

I worked for a guy that came back to work, in a very lucrative position, he didn't need the money I can assure you. He said he would rather "wear out than rust out". Worked for another guy that had worked in Saudi Arabia for over 20 years and was facing retirement with trepidation. Even though he owned a ranch in OK and was worth millions. I must say there is an adaption/acceptance phase to initial retirement. I'm sure it's different for everyone. Me I would
never go back to work! I have no interest in fighting the office politics, computer crap, and peoples attitudes in general. I'm content to take care of MY business and enjoy the ride.

If you call it retirement?? I left a 10 hour day job for a 24/7 job with less pay but I’m having a blast and I do what I want. But don’t tell Rhonda Blue Man

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4494 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I retired at 60 and although I had my own business I have never missed it for a second. I set that goal at 45 and no one thought I would but I did and I am glad. But damn sure more work after thinking I retired!!!

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
As FERN said. I have friend who had has own commercial paint business. He is also a country boy that has inherited and accumulated lots of land,cpl homes that he rents. He said damn how did I get this done when working and now I have all day and can not get it done.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Since I retired 10 years ago I work harder now that then. I'm only 71, you guys are really old. Health is better now, lost weight, play 18 holes of golf 2/3 times a week. Being the eternal optimist I started a new race car project 18 months ago after selling my dragster. Man I have a long way to go to catch you guys. Not worthy

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm only 71, you guys are really old.

Yeah, old age is like the sliding weight on a tractor pulling sled...... it ain't linear!!!! But, as they say, it beats the alternative. Fingers Cross

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I retired 20 years ago. I thought that I wouldn't miss the job, but I do. My new occupation is working on the house, the yard and trying to keep up with the kids, the grandkids and the great grandkids, all 37 of them. Somewhere I still find the time to work on and run the car, this year I took a vacation. If the situation in 2021 improves I'll get back to racing more often including a few of those high dollar bracket events.

Our second "Hobby" is traveling. Been a lot of places the past 20 years and hope to visit a bunch more. Australia is next.

Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I think how you feel in relation to age has lot to do with how you live. Not talking healthy living.

Heck I spent years working out in the gym 4 to 6 times a week and it paid off big time,well not as big as would liked in some places. But even that got a lot of benefit from those workouts. LOL

I have lived my life to match SN and I am paying for it daily now,but damn it was fun ride. Wife has some issue with how many rides it was before her.Oh well!

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
dang what where we talking about again?

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
progas on traveling---I have been in almost every state and literally all over the world but never Australia....have a friend there and also New Zealand but so far have yet to get down under. Swore I was going to summer ski down there but never made it. My summer skiing was Mt Hood!!!!! Had planned to travel out west this year but covid cancelled all that. Spent last week in Pigeon Forge TN and today drove 150 mi to Hendersonville, NC where we are going to stay 8 days. Who knows where we will head next. might even race somewhere. LIFE IS GOOD!