DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    New chassis cert rule
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New chassis cert rule
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
E!!!! ------ NEW for 2019 Spec. Car Chassis Certification-Vehicle
8.50 and Quicker Certification requires a Chassis Plate that includes an alpha numeric serial number and Date of Manufacture (All Vehicles 8.50 and Quicker)

This is going to eliminate a few cars not built buy name shops. Time to flood NHRA phones.

Posts: 10 | Location: Montville | Registered: February 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
Then just make your own tag up and put it in the chassis. Problem solved.

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
After speaking to powers at be Richard you are correct. Tag must be permanently attached. You can make your own. NHRA must be bored!

Posts: 10 | Location: Montville | Registered: February 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinbanger:
After speaking to powers at be Richard you are correct. Tag must be permanently attached. You can make your own. NHRA must be bored!

It’s always been a rule for advanced ET. I guess they are getting bored like you said. I bought mine thru Amazon for 5 dollars I think.

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
A means to follow up on a non-compliance issue. When you receive a violation as we did in super stock, (8.20 on an 8.50 cert) I'm sure they just want to see a reference number when they look at the updates.

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Where is this mentioned in the rule book? I glanced over the rule amendments for 19 and didn’t see anything. Or is this in the sfi spec?

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of suprodn
posted Hide Post
I have a car that has been certified 7 times to 7.50 and can cert to 6.0 if I choosed to and now I have to have a tag welded on it saying who built it with a serial number. Is this what your saying. Car needs certified again in April.

Posts: 63 | Location: Watchn my motor go boom on the dyno | Registered: April 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I’m pretty sure it’s always been in the rules that a serial number tag is required.

Previous owner of my car took the tag off for some reason. I’ve never been asked about it during chassis certs.

Posts: 716 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Yes that is true about a tag being on any chassis . They just never really seemed to care before. My old car was a one off built by a friend and local chassis work shop. I think I made a tag but really can’t recall. Had the car stickered at least 2-3 times and never was asked about a tag that I can recall. My Racetech does have a welded on stamped ID plate.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My undercover only has an ID tag on the blowshield. It’s been stickered multiple times to 6.0 since I’ve owned it by different inspectors including the hardest one.

One guy, forget which one, was filling out the paperwork and said something about him “letting me by” even though it wasn’t tagged. I asked why the blow shield didn’t count and he replied “never mind, your fine, didn’t notice it there”

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
Perhaps it's time NHRA reviewed this requirement.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of race cars out there that have never had a Manufacturers Chassis Tag. Fabricating a home made tag with "made up information" violates a more important rule, falsifying technical information. My car was made by a well known Professional Chassis Builder and never had a tag. Before you ask, no he's not going to issue me a chassis tag. This car was originally built for David Rampy then a year later (1999) it was sold to Rod Fuller. I've owned it since 2001 and it has passed every chassis certification inspection since then.

I am not about to commit a more serious technical violation by falsifying information. It recently passed a Chassis Certification (1/1/19), I am hoping that suffices. In short I would not get too excited about not having a Manufacturers Chassis Tag, it may be something that is impossible to acquire. I can't imagine NHRA denying those thousands of cars from competing because they lack the Manufacturers Chassis Dated Tag.

Bob

There are plenty of people with the ability to weld just as good or even better than the top chassis builders in the country. So if one of these guys builds their own car to SFI specs and makes a tag saying joe blow chassis doesn’t mean that they are falsifying a tag. That’s why NHRA and IHRA allow you to make your own chassis tags if you built it yourself.

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
If it passes cert why do you need a stupid tag? This is why i can't stand NHRA....

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1401 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
I would hope that they grandfather and waiver any car with a previous SFI sticker, who knows as the faces change, so does the interpretation.

In early 2K, I had a car inspected by Pinky (RIP) here in Div III and he said; “nice car, who built it?” I told him I did and then he questioned my qualifications Eek , he passed the car without issue and told me they were probably going to require certain qualifications in the near future like weld certs and such and he also mentioned a builders tag. Maybe this is some of that 15+ years later(?).

Good reason though….if you have seen some cars that have crashed and the welds that have failed….you will quickly realize that the outer appearance of a weld is only part of what’s important .

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What about cars that are or have been in past certified to 8.50 and slower? My cert expired several years ago, but since I was only getting to race local once or twice a year never got it updated. Thinking about possibility of getting car certfied again as I may be able to race more this year.

Posts: 496 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I think they just want a way to tie a certification to the chassis. That way, if someone has a chassis certified and then transfers that sticker to a different car that maybe wouldn't certify, there is a way to identify that.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3161 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
I think they just want a way to tie a certification to the chassis. That way, if someone has a chassis certified and then transfers that sticker to a different car that maybe wouldn't certify, there is a way to identify that.

Sound like a new way for them to make the racer pay for something new. I am sure it will cost the racer something.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1401 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing that some of the big chassis manufacturers have offered monies to the NHRA to phase out older chassis'. Kind of like safety equipment people have done.

They have to have an opening paragraph. This new rule will be it.

Soon, your 10yr old chassis will be scrap metal if you want to play in their sandbox.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I purchased a 2003 undercover that does not have a welded tag on it does have a tag but stuck tight as crap with some kind of glue Im guessing, does have nice undercover info on rearend housing will this satisfy the rule makers or AM I going to have to sand and weld on my nice coated frame what a bunch of BS. Also my dad and brother a have nice door cars with no tags that have passed for years what do you do make some bull **** up

Posts: 65 | Location: central indiana | Registered: May 16, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I am gonna guess you could drill a whole in each end of the tag and spot weld it through the whole so as to not make noticeable mark in paint or coating. I have been thinking of doing this with a piece of stainless.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My friend talked to Ryck Campbell about it and he said it’s acceptable to make your own tag. Just put the manufacturer and approximate date and an alphanumeric serial number. It can be secured to the chassis with two rivets and it can go anywhere. So I’m going to get a piece of tubing the size larger of the bar I pick and stamp it and cut it down then rivet it on so it looks nice.

Posts: 716 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post