Find
Notify
Tools

Windows 7 ?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Have issue with laptop,self induced I think. Seems I deleted something while doing cache dump and now will not start up. I have found some insinstall disk and have read I can use them to fix without losing data. Like racepax andy rpm data. Right or just bad info?ps typing sucks on damn phones
Might also be from computer shutting down during updates because battery died.if not for race data I would shoot the mf'er.any suggestion welcomed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4190 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Why not take it to a computer repair place? I had some problems and they straightened it out, I think it was like 50/60 bucks. Worth every penny to get it fixed and me not screw it up.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Be careful trusting config or OS files from the internet. As Cashflow mentioned for $50-100 you could likely get a pro to fix it or just recover your files you are interested in.

As cheap as laptops are these days you could get pretty decent laptop for $200-300 that has 8gb, ram, 250SSD, and maybe an i5 processor. If your laptop is old enough to be on windows 7, its probably time to replace anyway. Personally I would save what files you needed and then look into a new piece of hardware.

And to prevent any file loss issues in the past, there some free file storage services(i like google drive) where you could save your data logs and such and now they're saved in the cloud and you can open them up on any computer that you can log into your gmail on.

------------------------------------------
killer of MT82s
Converter Guy

Posts: 25 | Location: Deland | Registered: December 09, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Boot it into recovery / restore, or safe mode, then go to the recovery utility.
Select a date before the failure and restore.

That utility went away with Win 8 and up.

THAT recovery and restore option is why I'll be keeping Win 7 on all my stuff until I absolutely, positively must move on.
I have 10 workstations at the office and my stuff at home that have all been running flawlessly and solid since 2009.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1661 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
And to prevent any file loss issues in the past, there some free file storage services(i like google drive) where you could save your data logs and such and now they're saved in the cloud and you can open them up on any computer that you can log into your gmail on.

Isn't "they're saved in the cloud" another way of saying your info is on somebodies else's server, and could be compromised? Admittedly I'm older and resistant to trends that may be suspicious. Is such caution in this case groundless?

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
My bad should have stated the restore and all other steps on that part of program did not work 100 or so times I tried them. Normally restore my first attempt. Guess can see what a pro will charge. Only 3 places I know of one already Said he will not work on eindows7 and if smart I would update to 21st century. Any guess what I told him? Next ones are staples and office depot. Guess will try tomorrow
Thanks for replys

Posts: 4190 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Do you not have a local store that will do that rather than a big box type store? I would think that someone would be willing to try and help you.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
My bad should have stated the restore and all other steps on that part of program did not work 100 or so times I tried them. Normally restore my first attempt. Guess can see what a pro will charge. Only 3 places I know of one already Said he will not work on eindows7 and if smart I would update to 21st century. Any guess what I told him? Next ones are staples and office depot. Guess will try tomorrow
Thanks for replys

Weird how things work for years, then all of a sudden, no one can work with it, overnight. Roll Eyes Mad

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1661 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Thanks for replys

Weird how things work for years, then all of a sudden, no one can work with it, overnight. Roll Eyes Mad

Consumerism at its finest. usually this mindset comes from the fact that the labor/efforts to repair start to out weigh the cost to just replace.

killer of MT82s
Converter Guy

Posts: 25 | Location: Deland | Registered: December 09, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
quote:

Isn't "they're saved in the cloud" another way of saying your info is on somebodies else's server, and could be compromised? Admittedly I'm older and resistant to trends that may be suspicious. Is such caution in this case groundless?

Yes you information is stored on someone elses server. But when approached with a practicality and an open mind it can be a useful tool.

In other words, would I store something with my address, SSN, CC#, or other potentially "sensitive" information on the cloud? definitely not. Would I use it for log files, work files or anything that means nothing to anyone but me? Most definitely. Especially if it allows me to be more free with my data.

killer of MT82s
Converter Guy

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
The Windows 7 deal particularly irritates me because it's senseless.
The excuse is "for security", but what it really is about is dumbing down Windows closer to Apple, and replacing your chosen software with cloud based "apps".
I see Patriot Act and NSA all over it, if you tilt your tin foil hat, but mostly it's dumbing down what was a perfectly functional operating system I can tailor to my own needs.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I
I dropped laptop off at a repair shop. Got to be something with that business makes people arrogant *******s. While explaining I just wanted to keep windows seven if possible and if nothing else save few things if possible. I got lecture on why it was old junk and eouldn:,t fo this or that. How o needed newer stuff and in the real world that was fact
If wondering why I did not just bust it over his head? Can not answer except I need my race pac data is all I can come up with.

Guess if he can fix it . I will just chalk it up S another reason people piss me off.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
T
Rethinking the shop and guys attitude. Going to call first thing and if not started . I am going to pickup and take somewhere else. Bites my butt to give money to someone that talked down to me.

May lose my data but rather do that than spendy money with a tot a-hole.