DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Big MPH .90 classes at NH
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big MPH .90 classes at NH
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Might do just that, Phil Oakley style.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Ken MacNicol
posted Hide Post
Manners years ago, before he went Alcohol racing was 8.90 at over 225mph

Posts: 38 | Location: Hendersonville, Tenn. | Registered: December 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
I remember that Ken. I was what the hell.

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 297 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
US Nationals and Billy Torrence in his 2020 Undercover, 001 car, is the fastest Super Comp car on the property after Q1, running 192+!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
Billy was running high 170's 20 years ago.

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 297 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of victo
posted Hide Post
Watched Caz go 113 8.90 thought he broke something lol
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
175 - 176 isn't all that unusual in S/G these days, then you have guys winning at 112 mph and slower.

Try and imagine a 64 (plus) mph closing rate, WOW!

Bob

2012 West Coast Pro Gas E/Gas Champion

Posts: 523 | Location: Novato | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
less than 1800 and yes, when most super comp cars with an aluminum block and average size driver, are 1850-1875. That said, Howie's car is fast and his engine is built by a guy in PA that does this part time.

Ed

My car is heavier than Howie's and is faster too. I went a tick under 197 this past weekend with a real wing on my car. The wing is worth 2 to 3 MPH in the quarter, produces close to 325 pounds of down force. So what would I run in SC trim with no wing set up for big MPH?

This weekend set up for bracket racing.
My score board read:
6.81/196.7/1835 (We got the 3 display score board in last weekend.....LOL)

Posts: 2154 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yep.....I guess every car in the country is heavier than mine.....Must be the only motorsport I've ever seen where you brag how heavy your car is. I have a 240" Undercover, dual chutes, wing, standard 12 volt battery, charging system and all standard bracket racing equipment and you make it like it's some 190" comp car. If your **** is heavy, to F'ing bad, fix it. Otherwise shut you piehole......Howie

Posts: 72 | Location: SYRACUSE,NEW YORK | Registered: October 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Howie, why does it bother you? You have a lite car compared to most and use an inline stop rather than a plate stop in an effort to maximize MPH. No rule against that but those are the facts. That said, I don't know that every super comp car in the country is heavier than yours but every super comp car in D1 running as fast and faster than you is.

As I stated above, the fastest S/C car at the US Nationals was Billy Torrence's 2020 Undercover, running 192.00 mph in Q1 and it like your car is all carbon fiber. I suspect it is as light as your car. Based on the MPH run by Jack, Ken and Chuck the same round, you would have run 185+ mph.

IMO the most impressive S/C at Indy when talking "Big MPH" was Phil Smida's that ran 189.47 in Q1 powered by an APD 9 degree and weighing 1900 lbs.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
i thinking NHRA should imply a min weight in super comp. I am thinking about 1950. I am just wondering how fast my procharged dragster would run at Howie weight lol?

Posts: 155 | Location: Syracuse NY | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Stop we have enough rules.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
what does Howie car weigh anyways? I heard it is 1680 with driver. And with the whole inline stop debate. Correct me if i am wrong but the max speed which is on Kens, Debbies, Jacks, Chuck is just a inline mounted on the carb? Is that true or false Ed?

Posts: 155 | Location: Syracuse NY | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
False, none of those racers, none of their APD engines are using the max speed carb. Matter of fact many that did no longer do.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
i thinking NHRA should imply a min weight in super comp. I am thinking about 1950. I am just wondering how fast my procharged dragster would run at Howie weight lol?

My car just makes the minimum, what a tank!

Relaxing

And FWIW, I saw maybe a .5 mph diff from my max speed to base plate setup.

I wonder what speed I could go at flyweight, with no wing, cruising at 4000 and turning my stop on/shifting instantly?

Would be fun to try, just don't know how to get rid of 165 #'s.

Having said that Taylor went 187 in my car in my current SC trim on a hot summer day.

Shawn

Posts: 827 | Location: Flemington, New Jersey | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
but was that at howie weight?

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
All you gotta do is be willing to shift on RPM. My engine made only 1020 hp and I’ve been 8.90 at 181 or maybe 182. Most guys running that MPH have at least 200 hp on me.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
further as to "Big MPH" at Indy...

there were 14 cars that ran between 185 and 192 in Q1 and at least half of them were powered by APD 632+ cube BBC engines, using APD carbs and throttle stops.

Of the 14, 3 cars ran in the 190s...Billy Torrence at 192 powered by a Dart 11 degree dry sumped BBC built by Boyds Racing Engines, Gary Stinnett at 191 also powered by a Dart 11 dry sumped BBC and Steve Williams at 191 powered by a Brodix 15 degree PB5000 headed dry sumped BBC.

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
I saw John Sparr from B&M run 8.90 at 200 mph about 20-25 yrs. ago. That was impressive back then.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Vince

Ed is ducking our questions. I have no idea what Howie's car weighs but I know I could go 190 plus in SC trim with my little non APD, non spread port headed 632 motor. And that's with non oxygenated cheater fuel too! Wink

Posts: 2154 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Stop we have enough rules.

True!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post