Bracket Talk
Open heart recovery

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/75460652/m/4077014896

April 04, 2022, 05:32 PM
inferno camaro
Open heart recovery
Anyone here that had open heart surgery, how long before you were cleared to race? I had aortic valve replacement Mar 9th and was hoping to be back for a race the weekend of May 24th.
April 04, 2022, 06:12 PM
imakehp
I assume NHRA would clear you right after your surgeon cleared you.

Dave

F J B

April 04, 2022, 07:20 PM
Bucky
If the valve poses no risk during activity, then the only concern I could think of would be pain from the belts. I'm thinking IMHP's answer would be correct.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
April 04, 2022, 07:22 PM
1320racer
I’m thinking why you asking here. Didn't think of that
April 04, 2022, 07:44 PM
inferno camaro
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

The surgeon and cardiologist have different opinions. One says 6-8 weeks and one says 8-12. Just wondering what other doctors have said. I don't want to go too early but also would like to get back at it.
April 04, 2022, 07:46 PM
inferno camaro
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
If the valve poses no risk during activity, then the only concern I could think of would be pain from the belts. I'm thinking IMHP's answer would be correct.

Only real concern is making sure the sternum is healed incase of an accident. I'm walking 4 miles a day now and feel pretty darn good.
April 04, 2022, 07:51 PM
maliciousintent
Listen to your doctors. The NHRA will not clear you to race, if they are aware of your surgery, until your primary doc clears you. For dimwit ED, the poster was asking for others experience with similar conditions. A perfectly normal question. Don't think he wanted your comments. MYOB
April 04, 2022, 10:19 PM
fuzzy dice
I had quad bypass and I could not drive for 4 weeks or race for 8...the issue as stated earlier is your sternum healing back up with the mesh...if an airbag popped into you or you hit the steering wheel you would do a lot of damage to your chest...
April 04, 2022, 10:23 PM
fuzzy dice
quote:

Because unless your doctor or surgeon is a drag racer, what better place to ask...
April 05, 2022, 07:06 AM
1320racer
Wrong

You return when your doctor, the PROFESSIONAL, clears you to return and not before, PERIOD! You don’t follow the advice of the clueless that think they know.
April 05, 2022, 07:34 AM
Wooley
I know you want to get back into the car, but follow doctors orders. For me I would go with the longer time out. The consequences of going back too soon are very bad. You can always race later. Break sternum you maybe done for good.
April 05, 2022, 09:15 AM
Bucky
quote:
Originally posted by inferno camaro:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

Only real concern is making sure the sternum is healed incase of an accident. I'm walking 4 miles a day now and feel pretty darn good.

Well done with the walking! Much much more than most of the population!!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
April 05, 2022, 12:07 PM
ferndaleflyer
I had heart surgery 6-7 years ago and got to get back out there pretty quick---the surgeon was also one of the racers at our track
April 05, 2022, 03:14 PM
Cashflow
Knee replacement for me coming up on the 25th. Hopefully run Dallas about 3 1/2 weeks later but probably not.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......
April 05, 2022, 04:09 PM
fuzzy dice
quote:
Wrong

You return when your doctor, the PROFESSIONAL, clears you to return and not before, PERIOD! You don’t follow the advice of the clueless that think they know.

Sorry, not wrong...do you think I made up the numbers I posted just to be clever?...I had open heart surgery and, for your information, they came from my surgeon...mind your own business, sir, unless you have been through what we have...
April 05, 2022, 05:17 PM
Floyd Staggs
fuzzy dice,
Getting old is hell but it's a lot better than the alternative. I speak from experience. I lost my wife 22 years ago at the young age of 53. I'm not as good as Fern but I'm still vertical at 80.

Old Guys Rule
V787 Sst787
https://www.thefoat.com/Ososik...jnkQG5aVrmV3A%3D%3D/
April 05, 2022, 05:39 PM
ferndaleflyer
Floyd Fuzz has been a friend for a long time and he's not that far behind us. Someone mentioned Knee replacement--I did that also, 3 weeks later we rolled out in the RV for a trip to Charleston, SC for a week. BUT do PT as perscribed, all of it.