DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Cable/Satellite companies - Cutting the cord
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cable/Satellite companies - Cutting the cord
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted
I just had knee surgery yesterday so bored out of my mind.

How many have done this?
I just cut the cord at the beginning of Dec shutting down Direct TV. My bill was $180+ per month with only Showtime as a premium channel. Of course after I cancelled I got a call offering $60 off per month for a year but I told them to shove it. They should have offered that when I called in Nov although even then it would have went right back up after a year.

I switched to YouTube TV using a ROKU and even with every premium channel, my bill is now under $100. I already had Prime and Netflix. I swear the picture is as good and in a lot of cases better than Direct TV. I also added a ROKU to my MH.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I do not even need many channels any more. like Discovery and Fox FXSports or what ever it was that had NHRA that is about all I need.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Cut the cord on cable years ago. When the Direct TV bill hit $150+ I called an cancelled, the service was not that great anyway. Here in Fla we get a lot of thunderstorms, the satellite service would go out. Signed up for HULU, one year later they raised rates and cut out channels, screw them. Since I only watch sports and a few news channels I started with Fubo. Service is very good for the $65.00 months package. So far.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maliciousintent:
Cut the cord on cable years ago. When the Direct TV bill hit $150+ I called an cancelled, the service was not that great anyway. Here in Fla we get a lot of thunderstorms, the satellite service would go out. Signed up for HULU, one year later they raised rates and cut out channels, screw them. Since I only watch sports and a few news channels I started with Fubo. Service is very good for the $65.00 months package. So far.

The base You Tube TV package is about that price and has like 200 channels including local channels.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
The cord cutters in my area are all going crazy because the NHL hockey season is starting and none of the streaming providers carry the regional Fox Sports networks, where our local team’s games are broadcast.

I watch very little TV but am willing to pay for the things I want to watch with little to no hassle.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
We dropped all that crap 4 years ago, the only thing I miss is recording the F1 races to watch at my leisure.

Smart TV with WebOS, Hulu (commercial free $11) Amazon Prime (4KHD), dropped Netflix because it's libtard hell, YouTube is what I watch most, no subscription.
I can't even watch the network garbage without having to resist the urge to ventilate the TeeVee.

Doing it all on 18M DSL service with our LANDLINE phone.
Smart TV off off a cell hotspot in the motorhome.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
We cut. Got Roku, pay for sling.
Got a small digital ant for local channels. Done

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Look into the Firestick programs openly shown on YouTube. Cheap and easy streaming of all movies and series. Nothing live. You will need a decent WiFi prob at least 50meg download speed
One of many.
https://youtu.be/vwtBqsfnCVw

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:
Look into the Firestick programs openly shown on YouTube. Cheap and easy streaming of all movies and series. Nothing live. You will need a decent WiFi prob at least 50meg download speed
One of many.
https://youtu.be/vwtBqsfnCVw

I've had a firestick for a few years and my internet is around 330+ download. I have business internet at home, very fast and massive amounts of bandwidth

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
What’s your favorite apps, Tony?

4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:
What’s your favorite apps, Tony?

Since I got the Roku I haven't messed with it that much. I just scanned through that video so I mat have to explore that some more again.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Motorola mg7550/1900 dual band 144$. ?? Good deal? I’m getting hosed by Comcast- 240 month with increase!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4504 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
Motorola mg7550/1900 dual band 144$. ?? Good deal? I’m getting hosed by Comcast- 240 month with increase!

That include internet service as well?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Bucky, The unit from Amazon is 144$ I believe the internet from comcast is 39$ Then I need one more WIFI box for second TV.

Yes we have internet, no house phone and sport package with three tv's. It was 200 and they just increased like 35 bucks!

Getting away from the box rental and comcast stations,Looking at Hulu, Roku. U tube etc live stream

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BP758,

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4504 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Comcast now is required to let you use your own Receiver/DVR. Who sells a compatible box I can buy and own?

4.629@149
7.310@185

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
So I'm Slinging now. But for both colors, it's $45 per month. And you cannot screen mirror broadcast on Iphones, for watching off my phone in the shop.

How is the basic Hulu deal for shows like street outlaws? Can you watch all of it? Maybe even pop for the ad free?
With sling, the wireless to the shop tv doesn't work. I can wired watch, but it hangs the picture at just about every commercial and you have to open the phone to correct.
How soon after the original airing does it allow you to stream the Outlaw shows for instance?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
We have been very happy with YoutubeTV for over 2 years now. Great channel lineup and unlimited DVR.

I travel for work very often, and I take a Roku stick with me. Allows me to watch my channels and not deal with the BS hotel setups. Also, we have a place at the beach that we use the same account for. Im here now and watching TV while the family is back home and can still watch TV. That is the big win for us... one bill in multiple locations.

The iPhone and iPad apps are also great, and you cant watch DVR content or set your DVR on them. Can also watch Live TV.

The price has increased since we got it, but still happy.

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Another vote for youtubeTV here...had it almost a year now. Pay less than half of what we were paying for Direct TV and have pretty much the same channels (or at least the only ones we really watch). My kids also live ~300 miles away and they can watch it on the same account with no issues either.

Posts: 121 | Location: Imperial, CA | Registered: September 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I cut the cord years ago.
I use an an antenna for local channels (ABC,CBS,FOX,NBC) plus I get I get other channels. Most are shopping or in spanish,Si. One channel has Emergency 51,CHiPs and other shows though! All free.
I have unlimited data plan on my phone and have used it for the last few years. I can make it a hotspot for my I pad and fire stick through Verizon.
I pay $65 a month for the phone.
I just recently signed up for Xfinity/Comcast WiF(again)i for $39 a month because my son's games are being streamed live and the phone was buffering to much with Verizon data.
Through a speed testing site Verizon was 3mbps and WiFi is 55mbps for a speed test. Xfinity says up to 200mbps.
I got a TV box with Xfinity that is supposed to have free Pea**** but xfinity sent the wrong power supply, so can't comment on that yet.

My 2 cents.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M120:
I cut the cord years ago.
I use an an antenna for local channels (ABC,CBS,FOX,NBC) plus I get I get other channels. Most are shopping or in spanish,Si. One channel has Emergency 51,CHiPs and other shows though! All free.
I have unlimited data plan on my phone and have used it for the last few years. I can make it a hotspot for my I pad and fire stick through Verizon.
I pay $65 a month for the phone.
I just recently signed up for Xfinity/Comcast WiF(again)i for $39 a month because my son's games are being streamed live and the phone was buffering to much with Verizon data.
Through a speed testing site Verizon was 3mbps and WiFi is 55mbps for a speed test. Xfinity says up to 200mbps.
I got a TV box with Xfinity that is supposed to have free Pea**** but xfinity sent the wrong power supply, so can't comment on that yet.

My 2 cents.

Seriously? This forum censors the name of a bird?!? Are the Puritans running the board or what? Ridiculous....

Posts: 121 | Location: Imperial, CA | Registered: September 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post