New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holley aquires....
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
Following is an article about a month old. Shows Holley's positioning for the future. Forget that LS swap, get with the times and go for an EV!

Holley Acquires Substantially All Assets of AEM Performance Electronics (EMPW)
April 15, 2021 7:13 AM

Holley, the largest and fastest growing platform for performance automotive enthusiasts (“Holley”), today announced it has acquired substantially all of the assets of Advanced Engine Management, Inc. dba AEM Performance Electronics (“AEM”). AEM is a leading developer and supplier of electronic control and monitoring systems for performance automotive applications and is particularly well known and highly regarded by enthusiasts of import and other sport compact cars. AEM has also recently launched an electronic control system that supports the conversion of vehicles originally equipped with internal combustion engines to electric power (“EV Conversions”). Holley acquired AEM for $52 million and expects AEM to contribute 2021 pro forma sales of $26 million.

“The acquisition of AEM is strategic and accretive and we’re excited to welcome even more aficionados of import and other sport compact cars into our growing community of gearheads. We’re also very excited about the work AEM is doing to bring cost effective and easy to use electronic control systems to enthusiasts that are passionate about EV Conversions,” said Tom Tomlinson, President and CEO of Holley. “The AEM brand is iconic in its space and represents a great addition to our already large family of legendary brands that resonate deeply with our customers.”

“We’re excited to have joined the Holley team and believe that the resources Holley brings to bear will allow us to accelerate development of the innovative products our customers love,” stated AEM President Greg Neuwirth. “We’re especially charged-up about leveraging our combined expertise in electronics to more rapidly deploy the AEM EV line of electronic control solutions for enthusiasts of EV Conversions.”

Holley previously announced an agreement to become a public company through a business combination with Empower Ltd. (NYSE; EMPW, EMPW-UN, EMPW-WT), a publicly traded special purpose acquisition company. Holley’s majority shareholder is Sentinel Capital Partners, L.L.C., one of the nation’s leading midmarket private equity firms.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Sorry, no electric cars for this old guy.
Part of what I love about racing and high performance cars, is the sound of a healthy internal combustion engine. Been a huge fan of Big Daddy for over 50 years, and he has accomplished some stunning performance on dragstrips with the electric car, but I am not into it at all. I don't care if they get "Top Battery" dragsters into the 3's, I wouldn't give a dime to see them. Just me.
I was given a Traxxas off-road RC truck for my birthday about 10 years ago, which I enjoy playing with once in a while. It is powered by a typical 2-stroke engine, burning a 20% Nitro/Methanol blend. It is quite fast, and fun. I sometimes bring it to the track, to kill time during cleanups, rain delays, etc. Met a guy there with a newer version of same truck, but electric powered. His battery truck would out-accelerate mine, (although I could play with gearing), but mine would out MPH him when the little fueler got to screaming. We swapped toys, and for some reason playing with a nearly silent, whining electric version was just not nearly as fun, even when we took them to the "off-road" (dirt) area to jump them. I don't know why, but there is just nothing exciting to me about electric powered vehicles.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1043 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Ditto!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Made in Texas. FTW.... EV. Nope. Better off watching paint dry. Thought it was a joke from her on Xmas. Nope. I swear i was at the track minus the noise. Now i just have to figure one out that smells like Q16.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Years ago I said I would NEVER drive a front wheel drive econobox car. Now I have a SS HHR and love it. But it is my daily driver and most comfortable car I have ever had and gets great gas mileage. Actually even fun to drive.

Now I am saying I will never drive an electric car.

I personally do not ever see Electric cars getting past the big problems they have in our lifetime.
1. The range is too short.
2. They take too long to charge. So with those two issues you could never go cross Country in it so you still going to have to have your standard car so why get it at all?

One other issue that is in the back of my mind is I do not trust the Government and those trying to stick the electric cars up us. I do not believe they will be as cheap to own and operate and I think the emissions will be the same just at the electric company instead of out of the car.

I also think the Electric cars may be for the Government to control us easier. Then all they have to do is limit our electric use to shut us down and control us. The Government knows the power grids can not handle it even if the cars had longer range and charged quicker. Yet they are sill pushing it.

When the Government is trying to force it up us I do not trust them. If it was so great then Free market would be building them and selling them. The TESLAS are selling good but they really have not eliminated the range problem or slow charging problem and until that is resolved just not seeing it.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4042 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
^^^ And for those who know what it costs to replace the batteries in your electric golf cart, wait 'til you have to do that on your grocery getter! Eek
(BTW, My golf cart is a 1982 vintage EZ-Go, with the original 2-stroke engine still going strong). Big Grin

Dan "Jim" Moore

Posts: 1043 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
guy I work with just paid a hair under $3000 for new batteries for his wifes Prius .... hell the car wasnt worth that !

Posts: 784 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I figured as much when you have to replace the batteries or the flux capacitor. Car has no value

Recycle the car. More that likely it would be considered as hazard waste.

It costs nearly $16,000 to replace a Tesla model 3 battery pack. In time. These "Free" charging stations won't be free. Someone is going to have to pay for it.How many independent shops are going to perform repairs on the EV's?. All else fails, resort to plan A. Gas/diesel.

Another case in point."Driver less Semi's". You want your family next to one going down the road
While the driver is in the sleeper watching
I love lucey.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
TD3550, blacksmiths didn't think they needed to work on cars 120 years ago. Laughing Hard

Posts: 525 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
lol on that one. Crystal ball ran out of coal in the 60's. Days i want to forget in the late 50's

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
They still race horses, so maybe there is hope for us bracket racers.

Posts: 525 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Dees:
They still race horses, so maybe there is hope for us bracket racers.

The horses are safe until the Green Party figures out those horses are passing methane gas the entire race! Laughing Hard

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4524 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Until we learn that being activists about what we want and do not want - the EV side is going to keep winning. No matter whether the cars fit what we want it to do or not, the manufacturers are going to produce them. They have been pushed into a corner by government regulation at just about every level that you can imagine when it comes to an ICE. At some point, from their viewpoint I think you have to say they either keep fighting and go out of business or they accept it, produce EVs and stay alive. They have chosen the latter and by and large a good portion of this country is just fine with it. When I have people telling me that the 500 mile trip that I can make in less than 9 hours is going to take them about 15 - they're perfectly happy with that idea. When you ask them about the pollution that is created building the battery packs for these EVs - you get a blank stare. When you ask them about the fact that most of the EVs are going to be built outside of this country - you get another blank stare. When you ask them about the fact that Tesla builds cars that literally fall apart and have an annoying habit of catching fire - you get a blank stare although there is a little trickle of saliva in the corner of their mouth. They don't have any answers for it but they still think that they are doing the right thing because the government has convinced them that noise is bad, ICE is bad, gasoline is bad and diesel is bad. Ford just introduced their new tool - the EV F-150. When it goes into production in Mexico, the base price will be $40k, that of course is your plain white work truck that cities and counties buy - if you want one with a few more options you will end up somewhere around $80k but that's okay because your current WH administration has put $1 Billion in place to pay for the $15,000 "rebate" on the vehicle. See that's what all the kiddies are excited about - Uncle Sam is going to foot a nice portion of the bill to put them in an EV - they can't wait. They also have no clear idea of "who" is actually paying that rebate but it doesn't matter to them. Make no mistake here, EV sales increasing is something that the news is going to start pushing at you - and it has some truth in it simply because the manufacturers are going to offer more and more EVs and less ICE vehicles as time goes on. Just remember one point. If I sell 2 EVs this year and 3 EVs next year - that's a 50% increase in EV sales - and that is how it will be reported. The words will be - "everyone else is getting one, why not you"?
The only way EVs don't take over is that you do not buy one, that you refuse to work on them and you scream loudly that they should have to pay more in use taxes and charging rate fees because they are not helping with the fuel taxes of maintaining the roads. Write/call your congressman, your senators, your local politicians - let them know loudly that you demand that EVs take their share of the burden now - not five years from now - but now. Make EVs a tougher sell for the makers, those of you in brown-out areas - let them know that there needs to ordinances that don't allow EV charging - anywhere on high temperature days. Be an activist or lose.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 7110
posted Hide Post
Excellent post! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Posts: 1598 | Location: AZ | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7110:
Excellent post! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^X2!!
Chasracer is right, and environmental alarmists / extremists / extremism is a very real and serious threat to our freedom, our preferred way of life, and our nation's future.
The liberal brainwashing and indoctrination going on in our education systems is attacking America from every angle, and this one is bought into by MANY of the younger generations. They are easily convinced by the AOC's and the Al Gores and other environmental idiots screaming that we only have 12 years to save the planet, etc.
Fact is, even if we could halt 100% of the USA's "greenhouse gas" emissions tomorrow, it wouldn't make a dent in what China, India, Japan & Russia are pumping out every day, (the first 2 being the largest/worst polluters in the world). The global warming folks disappear whenever the temps are cooler than normal, or they call it "climate change". Fact is, climates do change, every day, and they have been since the earth cooled.
As for EV's, none of the enviro-idiots can think broadly enough to fathom the concept that the generation of enough electrical power to "fuel" these vehicles is really going to create as much pollution as if they were powered by ICE's.
Yes, we need to care for the environment. No, EV's are not going to help accomplish that in any way, with today's technology.

Dan "Jim" Moore