DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Aerodynamics in 1/8
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aerodynamics in 1/8
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
We all know aerodynamics plays a part in 1/3 mile racing especially with thye faster class'. Pro Stock car get a little from aerodynamics and fuel guys get more du to higher speeds,

Wondering if anyone has ever had a aerodynamics show anything in 1/8 mile. If looking at et it would probably be so minor hard to know its not just a various in runs. If mile per hour it might be more evident.
Plus working on building new nose piece that allows me to do the weoight move thing discussed last week. Sure lot know the most aero looking is not always the mose aero piece.

Another just bored and thinking about things might be fun to try post.Plus chance to get others weiw or knowledge from esperiance on subject.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4457 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I’m just guessing, but don’t see what it would hurt to improve aerodynamics. It might may for less et variation based on winds. Or at least minimize the variation.

Posts: 514 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Well can see ithurting if heavy or causes problem air wise in different area of car. Doubt much gain in lower speeds of 1/8 but hell suppose to be fun and trying stuff is fun. Only real downside is cost oftrying anything now days.

Have few pieces I want to try on fed after getting better handle on it as is.

Posts: 4457 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
All dragsters ( FED/Altered) are dirty in the air. Anything you can do to help them is good. Wind really affects them.

California Screaming!
Raceless in California!

Posts: 4620 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I do not think you will see much if any improvements in the 1/8 mile yet it is a good idea to make it as aero clean as possible.

To make any real significant aero drag improvements would mean making car more narrow and much lower, those things would make it harder to handle, transfer weight and hook up good. So would not be a good trade off there. I think front aero wheel covers are illegal now and wonder if an A to B to A testing would even show any difference at all with them.

A good aero is small as possible in front, rounded off and then slowly tapers back to nothing in rear. Everything that sticks up or out is drag.

Even if we could make a very good aerodynamic dragster it would be hard to make it hook and handle good and would probably weigh a lot.

I think it is good idea to take it into consideration when building anything but do not expect much if anything.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4225 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
The more HP you have, the less it matters.
But, at speeds over 60 MPH, wings start working, and aero efficiency ALL counts.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1800 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
For 1/8th mile racing I seldom turn on the anemometer unless there is a significant change in force or direction, especially the later.

There are some tracks where the wind can be quite strong at the trailer but have a minimal effect on the track due to being blocked by the bleachers. In that case I leave it off.

Having the wind on usually skrews with the prediction.

Bob

Posts: 3170 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I figure if weight does not slow car and piece is built to make cleaner air flow and possible less drag with a side of just damn looks cool. There is noi down side

First area of FED is front of engine. It is aerodynamic fluster cuck. Hard not to improve it even if gain is hard to see. I have a second nose piece that is more round blunt that should help there but know it not much. Figure if can design a piece in front of motor to as Garlits said "Punch a hole in air and drive threw it" It would be biggest improvement. Also if running the full body which I have sitting here it will help but at 20 lbs price tage.

Again just looking at things to try in future while bored out of my head.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Go for it! Like I said; anything to help it.

California Screaming!
Raceless in California!

Posts: 4620 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post