DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Winch Recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winch Recommendations
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I’m looking for a new trailer winch. I’d like one that will will a car up without any help.

What would you guys recommend? Size? Brand?

Trying not to break the bank.

Posts: 405 | Location: a race track near you | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Been very happy with my Superwinch stuff. Been using them for years. Currently have an S5000 and an S4000 in my two trailers. I belive they have updated to 5500 and 4500 these days both also have wireless controls.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
My 5000# Badland from HF works great.......I know, China..... Roll Eyes

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I Know plenty that run the Badland units. 2 of them run the 12K units on their trailers hauling scrap cars in.Work horse.....

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
WARN AXON....synthetic rope...FTW

Posts: 1260 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Been using the Superwinch 4500 straight pulling my 3200# car for 17 years with no problems.

Posts: 146 | Location: california | Registered: November 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
All of the Champion generators and stuff from them has been very good. Would not hesitate to buy one of their winches if I needed one.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4035 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have a superwinch 2500 that I bought in the 90's on my open trailer. It's a little undersized but always got the job done. I also don't have a dedicated battery for it. I have a 20' set of hd jumper cables. It's only used when needed.

So go for 5000+ in my opinion.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post

Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1234 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I've been using a T2000 Superwinch for years now to pull my car into my trailer, can't get out if I drive it in. I can easily take it out and use it on my open trailer as I hook it to a D ring with a clevis.
Just this morning I was looking at a new winch to permanently mount to the side floor of the trailer. So far I think Champion is the best deal. I've had a Champion generator for years and it just keeps on going. I needed parts for it like a valve cover gasket and they were great to deal with.

Posts: 1467 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I have a HF 3500lb ATV winch in mine for dragging in my car, with remote. It's been flawless. I changed it to synthetic rope, also from HF. Can't complain.

Also have a 1200 watt champion generator that I've had for years and runs like a champ. I do take my Predator 8500 watt to the track as well though, because the little one won't run the compressor...Gonna get the 3500 or 4500 inverter one so I just need one. My big generator is a bit loud....

And yeah, I know, china....but they were purchased when I had limited funds for stuff like that and they have worked as good as any other name brand stuff out there...

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1481 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
My 3500 Lb winch works fine when needed, I am curious what the technical guidelines might be for weight rating a winch to pull a car into/onto a trailer?
For example, suppose we assume a 3000# car. In theory, a 3000# winch would be able to actually lift that car vertically, right? (or not)?
We are not hoisting the cars, and it may only take 2 or 3 hundreds pounds (or less) of pulling tension to pull that car horizontally on flat ground, in neutral. But trailers have ramps, and that same car may require 1,000 # or more of pull to get it up a ramp with a 30 degree grade / angle.
So the true minimum pulling rate needed for a hoist may be around 1500/2000 Lb or more.
And obviously, you want some overkill for safety reasons, and durability.
So is there a formula, or rule of thumb for choosing a winch? None of us needs a 10,000 pound winch, but I would imagine a 1500# unit is probably not enough, even if it will get that car on the trailer in perfect conditions...
Thoughts?

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1041 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I use an old Warn A2000 with 2500 conversion kit (wiring, contactor). Also I installed a wireless remote kit so I can winch it in by myself without issue. Synthetic rope is a great thing to have as well. I got the winch for "free", came off of a traded-in yamaha big bear as I remember, when I worked at the dealer. It does not, however, have a brake built into the winch so if you stop halfway up the ramp, it'll slowly creep backwards. It takes about 2 hours to go back down the ramp on it's own so it's not like it's gonna just take off, BUT you can't use it to tie the car down nor would I ever suggest doing that even if it did have a brake.

If the car rolls you don't need much more than 2000 lbs of single line pull to get it into most enclosed trailers. It takes a good bit more to pull a car up a lot of open trailers, particularly up the "tractor ramps" (angle iron style). 3500 on the other trailer, open, 18' with dovetail and the aforementioned style ramps. It works fine. Once I left it in park and drug the rear tires about halfway up the ramps before I realized what I did wrong.

If you need more line pull get a block & tackle, or just make one like I did. I have never used it but it's there should I need it.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
So far Tom wins. LMAO unless she is filling mouth.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4197 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Champion 4500 on Amazon for $166 comes with the wireless remote. Haven't mounted it yet but it looks as good as any I've seen and yes it's made in China.

Posts: 1467 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
I have a new trailer. My 20 year old Superwinch S3500 came from my old trailer to this one. Got a New cable and it still works great. Compact and clean package.

Not that Superwinch got sold a while back. The new models look different and are larger for the respective sizes.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 7110
posted Hide Post
Superwinch all the way

Posts: 1598 | Location: AZ | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post