DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Another Generator Question for Rich
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Generator Question for Rich
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted
Hi Rich,

My coach has a 10k Diesel Generator model # 10HDKCA11506B.
The generator would start and run but every so often shutdown on its own. It would give a code 36.
It since has shutdown completely. I changed the fuel filter THEN I noticed when I tried to restart the generator the primer pump would NOT come on to fill the filter. I tried several times. I was able to remove the primer pump side cover and checked voltage going to the pump while pressing the start switch, got no power.
I jumped the primer pump wires direct to (+) and (-) and the pump started pumping fuel and the generator started.
I imagine there is a board that controls this.
Can you tell me where the board is located in the gen set and is a new board attainable anywhere?

I'm sorry to trouble you and know that you are slowing down on doing these things but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Frank it is the control board and it's a common issue. I've sold and replaced a number of them for this issue

Cummins-Onan Part #300-5961 and is now $1155 retail !

Flight Systems sells an aftermarket version for a lot less

Google them for their contact info

The board is mounted in a holder/tray on top of the generator barrel. On the left as you look inside the service door.
Move some stuff out of the way and look for a large weather pack connector facing down.....remove the 10mm bolts and the tray comes out with the board.....

Send a check to me cause I just saved you pile of $ ! LOL

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rich.
I appreciate the help.
I know you did.
Many Thanks.
Checks on its way Big Grin

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
That is why I've always run a lighted switch to 12 volt in the motorhome cabin that allows me to turn on the pump myself. You can disconnect the pump connector and use the same type on a new wire. I would recommend a relay to handle the load and fuse it.

If the light is on, the fuel pump is on. These pumps can run this way without issues. It costs $10 and a half hour of your time. Plus, it saves the cost of a new board.

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rich for your help on those Onan's.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4026 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I only recently found a "bulletin" on Cummins-Onan's site describing the fuel pump issues but only on an EFI gas unit

They go into a detail never before discussed saying there is a "device" on the board that supply's the remote high pressure fuel pump that will open if it gets to hot.

Then they go on to say replacing the board or the pump will not fix the problem unless the overheating issue is addressed....

Bottom line is carb or EFI these things run hot an no matter what shielding they've put on various installs, they fail and I have replaced numerous boards and fuel pumps that stopped the random shutting down issues...

Don's solution is a good one and I've told people that's one way to solve the issue but often they opt for a board instead

Onan has a relay kit they show for the EFI machines.....and I've said for years they all need a relay to reduce the amp draw but if the board has some sort of thermal shutdown on it.....the relay kit will still shutdown...

The Flight boards do not have the same shutdowns and sometimes seem to act a little odd but usually work and they warrantee their stuff way better than Onan....

I'm just about done at the place I've worked at for nearly 30 years and worked on many, many machines....I've had people begging me for my phone number and I have given it to a number of folks and many racers already have it......

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Thank you Rich for all your help over the years including at the track.
I did exactly what Don mentioned to get me up and running the previous weekend when the board failed. I did purchase a new board (kept the old board since the only thing wrong with it was the fuel pump) and installed it.
Your instructions were fool proof, had it changed in 10 minutes. I'm saving my jumper wire creation just in case.
The new board does make the generator act a little different, very low idle, and when it shuts down it is super fast, the original board would take 4 or 5 seconds to shutdown.

I wish you and Matt were still racing, miss seeing and BSing with you guys but I understand how things change.

You take care and Thank You for the many years of help.

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Glad to help Frank and trust me it's very tough not racing.....I miss everyone and everything.

The friends, the sights, the sounds and the smell of it all and turning win lights on....sometimes anyway....