DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    sometimes have to search for a positive
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sometimes have to search for a positive
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
After a ton of crap breaking and mostly stupid shyt this year I di get a so called run. Other than the foot slipping off the throttle, another post. Breaking a Ptfe oil line from pump to oberg, which made some track folk not happy with me. Not to mention me having to apologize my butt off for. Car went straight as an arrow although slow as grandma in a walker it seemed.

New rack and Pinion steering was great. After getting smoke in shut down and idling back trying to detect the issue and at the ticket both seeing no oil pressure. loaded it in the trailer after cleaning and pulling drain that had nothing to drain.

Pulled bottom end figuring few thousand in damage and minimum 1500 for rods,which happen to be new. Racing gods must have watched over engine. Needs nothing but bearings. Did not spin one and actually with polishing I could run them. Having 12 or 15 sets left from clevitte sponsor deal way back makes tha a no brainer. New ones in. New Hydaulic press fit hoses on car. Figure total cost of run about 400 bucks. Oh well.

Sucks but could have been a hell of a lot worst. Out next week if they allow me ba

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
So, why did it blacken the bearings?

Posts: 714 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
it did not blacken the bearings. just spotted them a little.Could polish with 600 or 1000 grit and poped back in. But with shelf full figured pop in new set and tag these as used but good.

Meant to state. It broke a PTFE Teflon line from the pump to Oberg. At 140 pis it does not take long to pump 8 quart of oil out.

One of those thinking way ahead and thought I had typed it out but did not moments. What goes through head does not always come out fingers to keyboard.

I am sure its is my fault for using a line rated for a heck of lot pressure than oil pump makes. Guess got old sitting here.
'
Nefore asked. I have the lightest pressure spring I have for pump in it is the reason for 140 psi. Other spring runs around 200 psi at idle.

Just finished the bottom end and bearins were more spotted from heavy alky in oil than anything else. Now as to why that is as far as not blackened or spun? Do not know but will accept it. I have polished kept running bearings in worst shape w/o issue.

Getting to old for torquing these new bolts under the car and mains real pia at 135#.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
What did it run

Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
not worth a ****. Of coarse foot coming off throttle as the trans brake released and car basically rolled light and then got going. According to data logger, it killed two intake pushrods around 500', probably from no oil. ZRemeber Hemi is few through rocker shafts, not pushrod and spray pushrod/adjuster as the rocker goes over hole in shafts and out hole on the rocker.

Time slip had a 5.--- was more interested in smoke, not heavy but get your attention. Think 60 was some crap like 1.30 or some crap. Again like granny with walker leaving.

Nerves over past crap happening caused driver to f--k up staging deeper than should and lite about 40 seconds.Ok maybe .2 or some crap. So not much to talk about. Except broke line getting zero oil on the driver as fed is supposed to do(guess got to fix) and some how not destroying new rods and crank. WShile covering track fro 330 on. Take what you can get I guess.

As I joked with the racer next to us. Man when you have some of the most expensive parts out here and stupid crap happens makes you wonder why anyone does this. Another joke was. There is rehab for drunks and drug addicts but not for gear heads and racers.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I can’t tell you how many guys I’ve watched with their first trans brake release come off the throttle.
I’m sure you will work out the bugs and be fine.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Worked out bugs in the throttle pedal. The numb feet not so much.LOL Now almost have to pry my foot out of or off the pedal.

That part does not really bother me. Does piss me off at the driver. The SLE thing is hardest to get used to even after a butt load of dry runs. I can not get use to the sequence I should be doing.
The stupid mechanical stuff really irritating the crap out of me. I mean who breaks a ptfe hose off? Did not come apart it broke line with teflon still in fitting.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
work out bug? Maybe need an exterminator.LMAO