DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    How do you deal with your car after you crash it?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you deal with your car after you crash it?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Lucky Scott Hudson
posted
I have been racing the same 66 nova for almost 20 years. It was just a rolling body when I bought it at the Pomona Swap meet for $1500.00 and it took me several years to turn it into a race car. No windows, no motor trans, no interior, no wiring, just a body and a really crappy frame.
I worked on it all the time.
It went 12's and then over time I kept working on it until it got in the nines.
A friend helped me do the body work and paint, and after years of racing it became a good car. Won a lot of races, but most importantly I got to meet lots of great racers along the way.
Recently I did a back half and a new cage. First pass out after all the new work I crashed it. Hit the wall in the front hard and then bounced back and hit the other wall with the rear hard.
Front frame rails bad, the rear frame rails bad, and the body ruined. (roof and doors still good).
Not sure why it crashed and I didn't get hurt.
Now I need to decide if I should fix or replace.
I have been looking for a 66 or 67 nova roller but no luck yet. Would love to find one and put my motor and trans in it and go racing again. But its hard to let go of the car that has been such a big part of me for so long.
Chassi guy says lots of work and money and time. I might be able to buy a roller for less money and get back to doing what I love.
But if I spend the money, and the time to fix my car, I will have my car back....
Its hard to say good bye.

Any advice from the racers out there?

Posts: 1199 | Location: So Cal | Registered: March 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I know how it’s hard to part ways with something like that, I raced my monza for 22 years but never crashed then built a new car and right now monza is sitting in my shed. I would got rid of it if I didn’t have a roof to park it under but for what I figure I would get for it I have held onto it incase something should happen to my monte.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Fix it. It has already shown it's loyalty to you. Return the favor. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I would find out why it happened before making a decision what to do.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4017 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Strip everything useable off of it, find a new car and move on

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^ Wise Financial advice X2

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
And since when has owning/racing a car you race had anything to do with financial sense?! Eek Want financial sense? Stay the h*ll away from racing. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
And since when has owning/racing a car you race had anything to do with financial sense?!

If you are not financially limited then your analysis would make sense.

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The wreck you own now is not the same car as before the wreck.
Time to write a new chapter in a new car.

Posts: 606 | Location: Lakewood, Co. | Registered: January 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
And since when has owning/racing a car you race had anything to do with financial sense?!

If you are not financially limited then your analysis would make sense.

You mean I am not financially limited and just didn't know it? Eek Take care. Tom Worthington

DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
I owned and raced my 69 Chevelle for 19 years, and I thought I would own it until I died. It was much like your story - bought it as a street car that needed restoration, slowly made it prettier and faster, won a few races with it, including two Wally's (a National Dragster Challenge and a King of the Track), etc. I loved it. Then two years ago a guy made me an offer to trade it for a car that had always been on my bucket list (a super nice 65 Impala) and I made the tough decision to let it go.

And here's the punch line - I have never missed the Chevelle, not for one minute. I still love it, but the new car brought new challenges and new enjoyment, and just a nice change of scenery. And it's slower than my Chevelle, but I don't mind that either. I've learned that (for me at least) bracket racing a slower car is just as much fun as racing a faster one.

You should move on to a new car.

Mike

Posts: 1566 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
The wreck you own now is not the same car as before the wreck.
Time to write a new chapter in a new car.

This!! I crashed my roadster twice. First time I had it fixed. Took it back to Brogie and he put it on the jig and 3500 bucks later I was back in business. About a year later I hit the wall again.

This time I said "no more" and decided to build something longer, more stable and yes, quicker and faster. Although I sometimes miss that ole roadster I certainly don't regret my decision.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Cars are inanimate objects.

Even though we get "attached" to them from years of care and nurture, they don't have feelings.

Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
If you miss one thing on a crashed car it could cost you your life,not worth the risk.

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 253 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted Hide Post
I would agree that it's time to move on to a new car, especially if you're trying to consider the financial aspect of rebuilding vs. purchasing.

David Deming
1974 Chevy Nova Custom Hatchback
Horsepower Innovations E85 Carb

Posts: 325 | Location: Nampa, ID | Registered: October 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I would still try to determine what happened and why so you will not do it again.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4017 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
I was going to tell you the same thing happened to a friend of. Then I realized it was you.
Get a new car Scott.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Scott,
If you find a good car to replace it chances are you will be paying less (maybe a lot less) than 100 cents on the dollar, if you fix it you're paying 100 cents on the dollar.............Good Luck.

Posts: 28 | Location: NJ, USA | Registered: September 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Race Cars are tools to win races. I've raced my current car a long time, paid for itself over and over and I'd push it off a cliff if I needed to. Just a tool

Posts: 1108 | Location: OklahomaCity,OK | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Creed:
Race Cars are tools to win races. I've raced my current car a long time, paid for itself over and over and I'd push it off a cliff if I needed to. Just a tool

Scott has a very valid point. If you view your hot rod as strictly a tool with a singular function of turning on win lights, it really does have no other value. I recently lost the engine in my Camaro after 40 years of faithful service. It was my daily driver, my occasional driver, and my "race car". I am planning on burying that old 396 in the backyard with a marker. Seriously. I know. I must be a total moron. Take care. Tom Worthington