DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Are you Working this week?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Are you Working this week?
 Login/Join
 
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Yeah Woody,

It's amazing to us also.

Things are getting worse by the day up here.
We have over 100,000 unemployed, up from 70,000 Friday.
Local UPS guy told us last night he's laid off at the end of the week, severe residential package drop off. Amazon is the only business shipping BUT they are behind by at least 5 - 6 weeks so only a skeleton crew of residential drivers are needed.

Our governor is now saying NO school for the rest of the year (it was until April 20).
Grocery stores are now on limited hours (nothing to put on shelves so why be open).
Our problem in CT is that we are a small state (only 5500 square miles) but we have over 3.5 MILLION people so if you are late to the table chances are you won't have a seat.
Many people go to the grocery store every day because you can NOT get everything you need in one or two trips because its already sold out.

I talked to one of my buddies from Waterbury, he owns a small company (about 40 employees) that does special platings/coatings for the airlines and auto manufacturers. He is month to month as many small businesses are.
All his orders from customers were cancelled and he was notified that any payments due to him will NOW be pushed out 120 days (and will be re-evaluated then) even though some were already due him this month. His monthly costs are between $70k and $80k.

He's now in the dilemma of what should he pay or not pay (rent/mortgage, electric, gas, insurances, suppliers, etc, etc).

He's laid off all his help as of the end of this week and shutting down indefinitely to stop the bleeding.

We have 60,000 people in the USA with the virus, 800 deaths BUT will have over 2,500,000,000 out of work in the US by the end of the month according to the labor board.

This is why the government HAS TO remove the lock down to get us back to work.

Like I've said before, how many months can you go with ZERO dollars coming in.

This is why there is a shortage of guns and ammo.


Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA
 
Posts: 952 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Frank, name one or two extended family members that you are willing to sacrifice so that you can get back to work.


Tony Leonard
 
Posts: 3136 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
Frank, name one or two extended family members that you are willing to sacrifice so that you can get back to work.


That's just an inflammatory question that is IMO unfounded. What you are implying is that there is no middle ground where we can protect the most vulnerable, and still not implode our economy. You are also giving the feeling that you don't think anyone should be expressing concern over what is happening to our economy.

I'll tell ya right now from a pragmatic view: Everything has a price. Should we have asked "how many of your offspring are you willing to sacrifice in order to save Europe from this Hitler dude"?

How many of your family members are you willing to sacrifice because they drive cars on highways? Much larger killer than any of the things we are talking about right now.
This world is quite practically out to kill us. As the show states, there are 1000 ways to die. And the world will win eventually. That doesn't mean we throw caution to the wind. Get your check book out. How many people do you want to live for how long?


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6324 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
Frank, name one or two extended family members that you are willing to sacrifice so that you can get back to work.


That's just an inflammatory question that is IMO unfounded. What you are implying is that there is no middle ground where we can protect the most vulnerable, and still not implode our economy. You are also giving the feeling that you don't think anyone should be expressing concern over what is happening to our economy.

I'll tell ya right now from a pragmatic view: Everything has a price. Should we have asked "how many of your offspring are you willing to sacrifice in order to save Europe from this Hitler dude"?

How many of your family members are you willing to sacrifice because they drive cars on highways? Much larger killer than any of the things we are talking about right now.
This world is quite practically out to kill us. As the show states, there are 1000 ways to die. And the world will win eventually. That doesn't mean we throw caution to the wind. Get your check book out. How many people do you want to live for how long?

I don't think it was inflammatory at all... his point is that not enough people are taking it seriously. People keep comparing it to the flu... you get flu-LIKE sypmptoms, its not the flu - you can do about 5 minutes of Googling & math to see that its got the potential to be way deadlier than the flu. A family of 7 in my town got it and so far 4 of them have died (1 elderly, the rest 40ish & healthy - like many of us on here). Does that sound like the flu? What will happen to the economy when millions are sick and hospitals are overloaded? Don't get me wrong... my income has been GREATLY reduced by this and the looming recession, but I see the urgency in getting the curve of new cases tamped down before we are dealing with a maybe later / milder recession AND a bunch of funerals for loved ones.


Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com
 
Posts: 623 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
Frank, name one or two extended family members that you are willing to sacrifice so that you can get back to work.


This coming from a guy who's ready to "sacrifice" workers in the tourism industry!

Roll Eyes
 
Posts: 2961 | Location: Boon Docks, FL | Registered: March 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Tony,
I'll GO ONE BETTER.

I'll sacrifice MYSELF so all my friends and family can continue on with their life and NOT have to worry about where their next meal is coming from or worry about the roof over their head, etc, etc.

I'd GLADLY sacrifice my self for all of you to have this end TODAY so you can keep everything you have worked so hard for.

Billy,
I take this VERY seriously BUT we can't stop living due to it.

It looks like most people that are still working don't have an issue with the quarantine, let's hear from you after about a month of ZERO money coming in (not reduced) and your bank account is now 000 and you have to make a choice on what you will pay, food, rent, electric, etc.

We need a 2 prong approach to this.
Start opening businesses but letting people stay home if the so choose.
Keep the medical stuff rolling at the same time.


Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA
 
Posts: 952 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
Be thankful we have a Republican president in office whose claim to fame is a strong economy & is up for re-election.... a liberal democrat would have shut this entire country down completely for months until we all brought in a note from our mothers saying we 100% cured.


Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com
 
Posts: 623 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Billy,
I AGREE 100%
Big Grin


Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA
 
Posts: 952 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD104X:
Be thankful we have a Republican president in office whose claim to fame is a strong economy & is up for re-election.... a liberal democrat would have shut this entire country down completely for months until we all brought in a note from our mothers saying we 100% cured.


Ain't that the truth
 
Posts: 2374 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I am still working but being retired and living out in the country it the same old retiree work. Yesterday I washed the motor home and then pressure washed the engine.....Got one daughter locked down at her home for 14 days and other works from home so she is still after it. Hope we get over this soon and everyone on here take care, this is the real deal that can kill you. Stay safe!
 
Posts: 6173 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of CURTIS REED
posted Hide Post
Frank, is the mail still running? Is there anything we can send you from down south that you need? I don't have a lot but I'm willing to help.

Curtis



____________________________
2017 and 2018 Osage Casinos Tulsa Raceway Park No-Box Champion

2018 Div4 Goodguys Hammer award winner
 
Posts: 2894 | Location: KIEFER, OK. | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
Curtis,
Thank YOU VERY MUCH for the offer.

However we will get by.

Thanks


Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA
 
Posts: 952 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
My daughter has been trying to file for 4 days.
Servers are overloaded. Her business closed also. She is getting scared. She was cleaning houses on the side also. Well that came to an abrupt halt quick.

Frank, that is the exact problem I'm having on the stretch with AP's. Now mine are going 90 days plus.
Absolutely destroys the cash flow here. Looks like it's every man and company for itself.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,
 
Posts: 1405 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I’m a teacher so I’m not going in to school for the foreseeable future. We first have to use up our six remaining snow days and our six days of scheduled spring break, then online instruction will start next week. I’ve heard the NYC mayor say maybe no school for the rest of the year, CT governor saying the same thing so who knows what will happen.

My wife is a nurse, today she had to stay home without pay because they emptied the hospital of as many patients as possible and had too many nurses, imagine that!

We’ve been getting take out most nights to try to support local businesses that are clearly hurting with this. Plus I don’t feel like going to the store to fight over food that’s not there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 183N,
 
Posts: 702 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
I
My wife is a nurse, today she had to stay home without pay because they emptied the hospital of as many patients as possible and had too many nurses, imagine that!

.


I was in a very large major hospital in Dallas yesterday to do a repair and it was like a ghost town, parking lot was empty and so was the lobby and hallways. Everyone in the hospital had to wear a mask. In the OR there was a few cases going on but not a bunch, most of the staff was hanging out in the break room. Plenty of PPE everywhere you looked
 
Posts: 2374 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Still at work currently. We sell Obsolete and Reman Industrial Electronics (Drives and PLC Systems). We support heavy manufacturing including steel and paper production. We pulled the sales force from the road. None of these manufacturers want vendors doing plant visits. As long as the mills dont shut down we will make it through.
 
Posts: 33 | Location: Xenia | Registered: June 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Come to Vegas, 206,000 casino workers all lost their jobs in one day. We have 2.2 million in population so that's a hit. Not to mention all the periphery business that service the resort corridor. Lots of people out of work here with our state on "lockdown". Thankfully for us everyone is still working, kids and wife. Healthcare and auto industry have kept them employed and paid.


"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero
 
Posts: 979 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
I
My wife is a nurse, today she had to stay home without pay because they emptied the hospital of as many patients as possible and had too many nurses, imagine that!

.


I was in a very large major hospital in Dallas yesterday to do a repair and it was like a ghost town, parking lot was empty and so was the lobby and hallways. Everyone in the hospital had to wear a mask. In the OR there was a few cases going on but not a bunch, most of the staff was hanging out in the break room. Plenty of PPE everywhere you looked


At her hospital PPE is limited - they are not allowing nurses to wear masks unless they are directly caring for a known Coronavirus patient. That's scary because who knows how many patients or even nurses are infected?? She works in pre/post operative care, there are three surgeons that were tested, one came back positive other two were waiting for results still. She's been making homemade masks on her sewing machine and distributing as needed.

Yesterday her mom went in to work (also a nurse but at an assisted living facility primarily for people with brain injuries) to find two nurses crying in the parking lot. She asked what's wrong and the nurses said they are required to have a mask to go to work and they don't have masks and the job doesn't have any left! She gave them some of the masks my wife made and the were able to go to work. Crazy how one place says no masks for nurses and another says all must wear masks!
 
Posts: 702 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
Come to Vegas, 206,000 casino workers all lost their jobs in one day. We have 2.2 million in population so that's a hit. Not to mention all the periphery business that service the resort corridor. Lots of people out of work here with our state on "lockdown". Thankfully for us everyone is still working, kids and wife. Healthcare and auto industry have kept them employed and paid.


That is devastating.

The mask situation seems crazy to me. That we would not have a generous inventory of these at every hospital in hindsight seems foolish.


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6324 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Yes i am essential. I am a crane operator at the Port of Virginia unloading Container ships.


"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55
 
Posts: 1378 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5  
 

DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Are you Working this week?

© DragRaceResults.com 2024