Bracket Talk
Methanol vs Gas

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/75460652/m/3117017307

September 13, 2026, 02:43 PM
Little Chief
Methanol vs Gas
We just fired up the updated engine in the Sunfire. The exhaust note is much quieter with the Methanol compared to Gasoline. It is the same engine combination except for an intake manifold change. Is this a common happening?
September 13, 2026, 03:44 PM
Larry Woodfin
I have noticed the same. Especially at idle and low speeds. More than once, I have commented on the methanol idle sound, [which is slower and quieter than gas]

One thought: because methanol carries oxygen, which enhances the burn, the engine will have the same low-speed RPM with less throttle opening. At wide-open throttle, in the sweet part of the power band, I think it is louder.


Larry Woodfin



September 13, 2026, 07:18 PM
markemark
I use a primer plus plate with 93 octane and EFI with methanol. Switching between them at idle methanol is quieter.
September 15, 2026, 01:32 AM
Alaskaracer
When I switched from gas to methanol, I think the exhaust note on my car got crisper. Still loud as hell either way but sharper noise....does that make sense?


Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
September 15, 2026, 10:45 AM
Larry Woodfin
I have been thinking about Little Chief's question. Because methanol contains oxygen and burns differently, I think that is part of the answer. It also produces more torque, which helps the car move faster. From my experience, it is overall a good sportsman bracket racing fuel. When the tune-up is correct, the throttle response is instant; I say, like a light switch.

In my opinion and experience, most of the old tales about problems running methanol are highly exaggerated.


Larry Woodfin