DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    sell me on these smart phone
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sell me on these smart phone
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
I finally caved in a bought a stupid azz smart phone. I have come to hate it so much in 48 hrs that I named it Biden.

My wife wants me to keep the pos. Thinks its useful. My guess she has stock in company knowing I am going to throw the damn thing and bust it,meaning have to buy more phones.

I told her show me how it makes car faster or better or makes my guns shoot faster or better and I will think about it. Now she knows nothing about cars and only what she has learned in 11 years about guns.It was package deal.LOL

She asked me to come on here and see if you guys could inform me how a POS phone is going to do anything to help car. By the way it will not spit out money so that part is screwed.

Where the hell does the cam shaft go into one of these things?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4197 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Hey Chris push the button on the side and ask it a question--like how to skin a fish

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Chris, the best advise I can give you is it's the way of the future. Just as some/many shunned the computer and they were left behind. I feel your pain, I don't particularly like the damn things and use a computer as much as possible. But the future will be nothing but more and more phone dependent. Might as well bite the bullet and make the effort to get up to some degree of speed. Frown
Think of it like fuel injection, or coil on plug. The future waits on no one.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
A smart phone is a very useful device

No different than a PC but it's in your hands and goes with you everywhere

I use a computer constantly at work...

Look at service manuals, parts manuals, order parts, fill out warrantee forms. Find parts for machines I'm fixing, watch how to videos on something I've never done...

Take pictures of jobs I'm working on and either send or receive those pictures when needed......Couldn't be easier....

My Duramax pickup started acting up a few weeks ago. Stalling and no restart....Easy to find the answer for the issue and fix it myself....cost $20 for an o-ring kit...

Sure using a Computer is easier but my Iphone is still great.....

I've had the same phone for at least 5 years....They last if you take care of them...I've changed my own battery twice and the screen once.....no reason to rush out and get a new one everytime they dream up something new unless you really want it or need it....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Hey Chris push the button on the side and ask it a question--like how to skin a fish

I have told it to do something few times.Nothing.Then I am not sure its possible for it to do that anyway.

Posts: 4197 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
Chris, the best advise I can give you is it's the way of the future. Just as some/many shunned the computer and they were left behind. I feel your pain, I don't particularly like the damn things and use a computer as much as possible. But the future will be nothing but more and more phone dependent. Might as well bite the bullet and make the effort to get up to some degree of speed. Frown
Think of it like fuel injection, or coil on plug. The future waits on no one.

If it was mechanical I could see how it works.It would be common sense like fuel injection or a blower.

Half the time I can't even get this damn thing to answer. Never had problem with my flip phone. Better yet my old Nextel was even better and easier to work with. Plus Nextel was heavy and tough ,you could almost put it threw a piece of osb.Ok only almost,but it did get someone's attention when you throwed in their direction.

This started off bad when I was told after I had paid that this thing did not have belt holder that it clipped into. Will not last a week in my pocket on the job. I did ask too late about the holder.

Maybe try a better one.Option two is second line for smartphone and flip phone on regular number.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
...did not have belt holder that it clipped into.

Shop eBay or Amazon for a holster for your make and model number.

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
A smart phone is a very useful device

No different than a PC but it's in your hands and goes with you everywhere.

Why the hell does anyone need a smart phone or PC to go with them 'everywhere'? Is there no escape from these damned things? Tech. addiction is sad to watch,

Posts: 606 | Location: Lakewood, Co. | Registered: January 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have to admit I was a long time hold out as well and finally give in . My favorite feature is the verbal command to look up things. I also found I can now get our local track weather info to dial the car DA readings or how ever you dial your car. My weather station quit working correctly and I just did a verbal question for the track we were racing at and then compared it to a known good one and was spot on. I'm not a social media person but have found it handy in the shop for all sorts of info relating to particular car specs.

Posts: 65 | Location: Horse Cave Ky | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there no escape from these damned things?

The short answer is NO. Auto insurance companies now want you to volunteer to put a tracking device in your car so they can monitor your activity. Naturally they make it monetarily advantageous if you do. So the ignorant digital youth will gladly go for it. And of course ultimately everybody will be made to have a tracking device.
Received my new "Real ID" TSA drivers license today. They digitally finger printed my two index fingers. So you no longer have to be arrested or in the military for the government to have your prints on file.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
tracking my driving? He11 no. My rate would look like national debt. I joke that my parents where so lucky they did not have ability to do that. Would have scared mom to death. Dad .Hell he knew what I was doing as he did almost same stuff.
I am right there with you SS427. Wife says biggest issue is I am being forced by business to get the damn thing and that piss' me off to no end.

No wonder people have wrecks with these things. To answer it. turn on,swipe green symbol and 4 or 5 times most of time. Still will not answer, so I have to call them back. My plip phone. Flip open hit button and talk. Never have to look at it and take eyes off road.

I do not doubt they have use for some. Yes can get to internet anytime(well some can) and has a good camera. I am having hard time seeing real conveyance other that that. The inconvenience I have no problem finding them.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Honestly it’s nice to look up the weather at any time. Figure out driving distance and time/route. Great for playing music. Hooking up to a stereo

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6412 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I forgot that part...

I walk a lot to try and stay in decent shape..

My phone + my air buds and Spotify and any music you want and at very high quality sound..

Way better than a Sony Walkman radio that I used for years....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR6223 Monza:
I have to admit I was a long time hold out as well and finally give in . My favorite feature is the verbal command to look up things. I also found I can now get our local track weather info to dial the car DA readings or how ever you dial your car. My weather station quit working correctly and I just did a verbal question for the track we were racing at and then compared it to a known good one and was spot on. I'm not a social media person but have found it handy in the shop for all sorts of info relating to particular car specs.

So far only true argument for the phone.

All the sound and music stuff to much like work to get set up. Reason I have stacks of cd's. Plus never been able to remember who sung which song for lot of stuff I like. I could look at c and know whats on it quicker. Plus lots of set up crap endangers phones life expectancy. Don't look like they bounce to well.LOL Ok I am laughing and wife is just waiting for it to happen.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
You’ll catch up in time. They’re very valuable, to you, soon. Hell, I’ve had one for 20 yrs, and still don’t use but 20% of its functions, still.

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
Real time radar. Download the NOAA High Def radar app.

Take pictures of stuff before taking it apart so it's easier to reassemble.

Text people that talk a lot so you don't have to waste a bunch of time. LOL!!!

Use earbuds to talk hands free while driving or any other time.

Use the calendar to schedule your races or get reminders for any other important event.

Order parts and check shipping updates quickly on Summit app.

UPS emails you updates on your shipments.

USPS sometimes does the same.

Video runs and review is slow motion to tune suspension.

Calculator always in your pocket

Flashlight always in your pocket

Digital level always in your pocket

GPS speed app to verify speedometer

My credit card immediately sends push notification when I make a charge. Within seconds. I caught a fraudulent charge this way last week. I called and took care of it immediately. Within minutes!

High quality music you like with few/no commercials always with you.

ELM327 - bluetooth code scanner. Works with diesel trucks too!

Need I continue?

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Our phone company just contacted me with a notice that my 5 yr old 3G phone won’t work after July 15. Need 4G to continue on. They sold me a new (re-furbished) one for $80. Perty cheap deal to upgrade.

Posts: 2475 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I refuse to move into this century. No cell phone, no credit cards, no air fryer, I don't even have a digital camera.Hell I don't have cruise control or power windows. Its very peaceful in my world.

Posts: 4 | Location: nebraska | Registered: February 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post