New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Bill Simpson
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Racing safety pioneer Bill Simpson passed away at the age of 79.
https://racer.com/2019/12/16/r...-simpson-dies-at-79/

Posts: 118 | Location: Imperial, CA | Registered: September 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Absolute Legend.

RIP and Thank You.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chasracer:
Absolute Legend.

RIP and Thank You.

He's a legend alright. Screwed 1,000s of racers out of their money on the SFI scam. Hope he's wearing a good firesuit.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
I suppose you should enlighten me then. Other than some of the ridiculous (my opinion) short times on certain SFI certifications, what "SFI Scam" are you referring too?

Save on Fuel - GetUpside - https://upside.app.link/jE7eqmHc2z

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chasracer:
I suppose you should enlighten me then. Other than some of the ridiculous (my opinion) short times on certain SFI certifications, what "SFI Scam" are you referring too?

When he left Simpson racing he started Impact racing and for whatever reason he started having counterfeit tags made for suits,belts and harnesses. SFI found out and decertified a lot of his stuff. And to make matters worse Impact wouldn't do anything to make things right for racers who had spent thousands on their stuff. Leaving quite a few racers with worthless high dollar firesuits.

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Okay - I understand now. And what his company did was certainly wrong and they should have made it right with their customers.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Seems he was a special kind of person. Goes through life without any people skills, yet is shrewd enough business man to make millions.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I thought the story was that one of the Impact managers purchased the bogus labels, then informed SFI just prior to starting his own company.

Posts: 521 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Dees:
I thought the story was that one of the Impact managers purchased the bogus labels, then informed SFI just prior to starting his own company.

He claimed in court that he never acted on his own and was doing that on orders from Bill Simpson.That same person informed the HANS company about the helmet anchors that bill was having made in China. HANS filed a restraining order against Impact racing to prevent them from selling the chinese knockoffs.

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I know there was wrong doing but I will say this. He saved a lot of lives in his career.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post