DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Help Locating a 327 AMC Engine
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help Locating a 327 AMC Engine
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
Our youngest son Brian is restoring a 1964 Rambler station wagon and needs a early design (1964-1966) 327 AMC engine. The 287 in the car is hurt to the point that re-building it is not cost effective. A LS conversion is not in the budget plus he wants to keep it somewhat original.

I realize this is a reach but if you know anyone who can help find a 327 it would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Posts: 3088 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Good luck!! Hopefully you locate one.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Hens teeth are easier to find.

Bob

Posts: 3088 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Gonna be a real tough thing finding one...

I recall working on one and they were pretty rare. Not many built at all....

They were still using flathead 6's more than any other engine in most cars IIRC back then

The Overhead V8's were usually the 287's

I can recall doing a clutch more than once in a station wagon and it had a closed driveshaft....I backed the rear up to change a clutch !! Old lady who rode the clutch !!! LOL

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Call Richard Maskin. BlahBlah

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
Call Richard Maskin. BlahBlah

Yeah call an old Pro-Stock engine builder and ask him for a 1964 Rambler engine......let me know how that works out for you....

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4475 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
.....let me know how that works out for you....

They're all the same casting number!

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I bet there is one at some of the old machine shops. Those guys save everything, I know a machine shop here close by used to have one of everything and two of the good stuff but since the old guy who owned it passed away nobody can find it.......

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4037 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
Our youngest son Brian is restoring a 1964 Rambler station wagon and needs a early design (1964-1966) 327 AMC engine. The 287 in the car is hurt to the point that re-building it is not cost effective. A LS conversion is not in the budget plus he wants to keep it somewhat original.

I realize this is a reach but if you know anyone who can help find a 327 it would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

I have to wonder about that damage. Since the engine is so hard to find, what makes it so expensive to fix (relative to replace). Oddly enough, I do see lots of ads for parts for these engines. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1234 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bet there is one at some of the old machine shops.

I was in an old machine shop that fit that very description a few years back. Definitely seen better times and volume but they had rooms full of block casting.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
There was an old core supply yard in Bakersfield, Earl (and here's a name I will really screw up) Moyea that I've been trying to locate. Have you heard about them, or know how to find the place Dave?

Someone will know a core supplier that has one sitting there. WHY Brian picked a Rambler station wagon is beyond me, maybe it's the challenge. We are more likely to find one in an old machine shop, (or through Maskin, or Don Tulius, or Aarons, or Wally Booth, or......)

Thanks for the help guys.

Bob

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Charlie Allen
posted Hide Post
Hey Bob,
Long time........hope all is well.
Post a request on Classracer. There are several die hard AMC stocker racers that hang there. Weed thur the "I am way smarter than you" attitudes and you may very well find one who can help you find what you are looking for.

"Mourning the loss of Auto Club Dragway in Fontana"............RIP

Posts: 532 | Location: Sunny SoCal | Registered: March 07, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Bob- I called a racing friend that races a Pacer in Div. 6. and he suggested you call Galvins Rambler parts in Sacramento. Good luck Bob R

Posts: 146 | Location: california | Registered: November 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
https://www.allpar.com/mopar/amc-engines.html

A lot of info on those old engines in here.

One difficult thing about engines from way back when.....they changed things a lot and often. Most manufacturers did the same thing....

GM with the Small Block basic design that lasted forever was the smartest thing they ever did....to me anyway....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bob, Charlie and Rich. I sent the information to Brian this morning. See you at the races Bob, dinner is on me.

Rich, I am looking for a Onan 6500. This Generac is driving me to the poor house at the speed of light. Thanks for the help.

Bob M.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
GM with the Small Block basic design that lasted forever was the smartest thing they ever did....to me anyway....

Absolutely. Nikon cameras followed the same philosophy. That was back when folks were poor and demanded affordable "things". But that is diabolically opposed to today's churn em and burn um marketing ploy. The strange things is today's public demands turnover as much as yesteryear demanded steadfastness. That's why they stand in lines for the latest iPhone when the one they have works just fine.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The "Latest" I=Phone is a status symbol to this generation. As long as Mom and dad are paying for it, who cares?

Bob

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Look up a guy named Bruce Fulper @ Rock and Roll Engineering. He's a Pontiac guru (at least in his own mind) but he also dabbles in AMC stuff a bit. He can be a bit much to talk to, but he's got a crap-ton of parts and pieces laying around.

Posts: 121 | Location: Imperial, CA | Registered: September 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Bob I'm in between jobs so here's some info on Onan's

The older design machines are 20 years out of production.....Do not look at anything older than 2001 and they are the newer design and nothing like the old.

On all Onan's the first 4 numbers off the S/N are the year and month it was built....The S/N is the second line on the label under the Model Info...

Onan makes RV versions and Commercial Mobile versions of the same machine.....Not really much differences and means very little as far as use...

Common machines used in RV's....

4KY is a single cylinder 4000 watt machine
5.5 is a twin cylinder 5500 watt machine
7.0 is the same machine bumped up to 7000 watts by spinning the engine faster and using a larger generator end.

All machines are compartment run, meaning they are enclosed and can run inside a compartment with the proper air flow cutouts and other considerations for cooling air flow...

Generac's are far outnumbered by Onan's but are somewhat similar in size.

No way is it it a direct swap from one brand to another but may be do able if the compartment is large enough and can be made to work. Mounting, wiring, air flow, exhaust.....

I have a 4000 Generac on my bench and it is fixed. There is no way an Onan 4000 could be swapped into the truck it came out of due to air flow problems...and it's a terrible install to begin with....

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
pm sent rprogas. hope it helps.

ep

Posts: 766 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post