DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Tracks making safety announcements
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tracks making safety announcements
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
And I will be racing next week at a track that has a web site after not being at one today that does not. But for the one that does not, it may of only cost them a couple of hundred but that would have gone a long way toward paying the man at the water box. And it saved me enough to pay for next week where they must want my chump change more Not worthy

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
And I will be racing next week at a track that has a web site after not being at one today that does not. But for the one that does not, it may of only cost them a couple of hundred but that would have gone a long way toward paying the man at the water box. And it saved me enough to pay for next week where they must want my chump change more Not worthy

Any you just touched on the reason that some tracks only use facebook.....it's no cost.
I finally caved and went facebooking mostly because I would miss late changes at the local track. And my wife got tired of me asking her to look at their facebook page for me.
Facebook is as much of a waste of time as you allow it to be.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6397 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
Seems to be a lot of tracks suddenly taking an interest in safety requirements. I've seen tracks in my area suddenly being concerned in people wearing helmets while going down the track. Tracks even requiring helmets no matter the speed or ET of the car. Tracks even watching for removal of safety equipment too soon.

Again, saying nothing and doing nothing is how we got here. The fatality and the reasons for it at Farmington should be a defining moment, a turning point in our sport, but won’t be as long as tracks and promoters look the other way when it comes to enforcement of safety equipment and rules. Allowing racers to police themselves is allowing them to do as they chose and disregard the rules as they see fit.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
For what its worth D4 was checking everyone's helmets last weekend in the lanes at Noble. I hear they confiscated over 20 expired helmets. I guess they kept them until after the race because I got a text reminding everyone to pick up their helmets from the NHRA trailer.

Posts: 2422 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
They got 27 helmets in Phoenix. You guys who don't have an updated one might think about it before you head to an NHRA race.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Good to hear but the problem isn’t so much at NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Race Series events but rather bracket races and big $ races at that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to know if tracks around the country had reacted or if it was just around here immediately after the death. Funny how these tracks are very lenient over the last decades as far as safety and little or no inspections and suddenly they are concerned with one aspect.

Posts: 1456 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
For what its worth D4 was checking everyone's helmets last weekend in the lanes at Noble. I hear they confiscated over 20 expired helmets. I guess they kept them until after the race because I got a text reminding everyone to pick up their helmets from the NHRA trailer.

Does IHRA have the same requirements?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6397 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
I just wanted to know if tracks around the country had reacted or if it was just around here immediately after the death. Funny how these tracks are very lenient over the last decades as far as safety and little or no inspections and suddenly they are concerned with one aspect.

After Doug’s crash at Pomona they were checking helmets at Phoenix. As Cash said, a bunch were out of spec. They also checked belts, suit, hans, net etc…. Think I mentioned that earlier sorry…

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I guess I didn't add the word helmet. Is IHRA the same?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Over the weekend at the Vegas National, I talked to a racer that was installing new belts. The ones in the car Expired last October. He raced at every national and div & race since. Said he was just "getting around to it".

I'm not in a bad mood, I just look that way.........

Posts: 990 | Location: Kingman, Arizona | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by double trouble:
Over the weekend at the Vegas National, I talked to a racer that was installing new belts. The ones in the car Expired last October. He raced at every national and div & race since. Said he was just "getting around to it".

Shake head

DT how are ya?

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Todd Barton
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't see an outdated expiration date being remotely close to not wearing or removing safety gear.

Posts: 380 | Location: Gray, TN | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Barry, I'm good, just too fat! See everybody at the Vegas division race this weekend.

I'm not in a bad mood, I just look that way.........

Posts: 990 | Location: Kingman, Arizona | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
LVMS has been checking and confiscating helmets since the year started. I know they grabbed a few at a recent bracket event here. So be forewarned if you plan on making the fling. Not that you should have to be reminded.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
LVMS has been checking and confiscating helmets since the year started. I know they grabbed a few at a recent bracket event here. So be forewarned if you plan on making the fling. Not that you should have to be reminded.

My brother told me they noticed them sniffing around everybody's helmets in the lanes. They have the dark gray Arrow. He said he talked to you for a few.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Barry, I'm good, just too fat! See everybody at the Vegas division race this weekend.

Won’t be there sorry.. things beyond our control. No biggie we’ll catch up!

Raceless in California!

DRR Top Comp
Picture of ChuckT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
I guess I didn't add the word helmet. Is IHRA the same?

IHRA rules are pretty much the same as NHRA's. I did notice that the slower end (11.49 to 13.99), older helmets were allowed for a few seasons, but that seems to have changed to be consistent across all ETs under 13.99.

'81 Cutlass, KX05, Keystone Raceway Park
Millerstown Pic-A-Part, Tarentum, PA
Wholesale Transmission, New Kensington, PA
Thinking of Nikki and Mark - forever 53

Posts: 7228 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Checking for helmet dates, to make it look like they are doing "safety inspections". If you have a good helmet and shoulder harness is 6" below your shoulders so you could compress your spine in a hard impact....my guess is they let you run.
Doing the helmet confiscation is just eye candy to make it look like it is a safety issue, it's the easiest thing to do and could possible help in court if they end up there, nothing more. Has literally nothing to do with "safety" as those older helmets have not be tested to see if they fail, they just needed to make sure the helmet industry, and safety equip mfgs stayed financially viable.

Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
I guess something is wrong with me, but if anybody tries to confiscate my helmet (or anything else) that is my personal property that I paid for, we're going to end up in an unpleasant situation.

Tell me I can't race till I get a better helmet, ask me to leave, whatever, but confiscating helmets? Good luck with that.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post