DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    What type of Winch for trailer 12volt or 120volt ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What type of Winch for trailer 12volt or 120volt ?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of ROLLIN'
posted
I need to purchase a trailer winch for my enclosed trailer and I have a generator and a 12 volt battery, but what are the pros & cons for choosing either ? (I am only pulling a dragster or light door car in, also, a steel wire rope or synthetic).

Posts: 23 | Location: .002 next to you | Registered: May 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I’ll be the odd one here using 120v / 3200# winch for door car the past 16 yrs. I have a 2kw generator in trailer that I can start when needed. Always use winch when loading at home and drive into trailer at track. Came with wire cable and still using it this way. No need for trailer battery.

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
12v here in both trailers.

Synthetic rope for sure. No memory, no strands to cut you.

Depending on your setup the ATV style with remote mount solenoid is nice. You can mount the solenoid close to the battery and the winch wires are only hot when the winch is being used. Also easy to add a wireless controller.

Posts: 715 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have two generators, a 5500 watt unit in the motor home and a second 7500 watt unit in the trailer. I'm never lacking 120 volt electrical power but still use a 12 volt winch with a battery located in weather proof container on the "A" frame of the trailer. That battery the powers the 12 volt interior lights when disconnected from the MH and the 7500 powers the 120 volt interior and exterior trailer lights.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
12v, synthetic rope, remote & American made; because that's what I use.

2BKING USA

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2549 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Superwinch 12V and synthetic rope here. The rope is a no brainer. Also get a remote control too

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Big Steve…KNOWS!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Warn Zeon…remote works off phone…

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I have 3 winches in my trailer; all 12v and all with steel cables. The synthetic ropes are nice.

The two in the front are wired to the trailer battery. The dragster lift was just installed last September. So far, I just bring my jump pack over and clamp onto the winch wires when I need to use it.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of ROLLIN'
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all ! I'm sold on a 12volt, synthetic rope with a remote unit.........

Posts: 23 | Location: .002 next to you | Registered: May 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have $60 harbor freight winch rated for 2500lbs I use for pulling my car in the trailer. came with a remote and steel cable. I swapped out the cable for synthetic and haven't had an issue since all for less than $100.

------------------------------------------
killer of MT82s
Converter Guy

Posts: 25 | Location: Deland | Registered: December 09, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You never expect the cable to break....when it does, you won't be in position to catch the car from rolling over whatever or whoever is behind it.

Whatever you do...inspect the rope/cable on the regular.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have $60 harbor freight winch rated for 2500lbs I use for pulling my car in the trailer.

Will a ATV style 2500lb winch pull a car in ?? I need a small winch for a storage trailer and that would be perfect.

Posts: 1422 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
quote:
I have $60 harbor freight winch rated for 2500lbs I use for pulling my car in the trailer.

Will a ATV style 2500lb winch pull a car in ?? I need a small winch for a storage trailer and that would be perfect.

I used one for years to pull my 3,000 lb car into my enclosed. I made it to connect to a D ring in the center of the trailer and I could swap it to my open trailer to pull a car up onto it. I changed to a side mounted winch in the enclosed but still use the little ATV winch with my open trailer.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
quote:

It would do the job, but if we're talking about the Harbor Freight units, the 3500 is a much more beefy unit. It doesn't come with the wireless remote like the 2500 does though.

I use the 2500 to pull my dragster into the trailer while I operate the dolly in front. It does fine but it grunts a bit coming up the ramp, even with a dragster.

I used it for my Nova one time after it broke, and that's 3400# without driver. We had people helping push a little bit though.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I used and small ATV winch for years to pull my 3000lb S/St car into the trailer before I upgraded trailers. It worked just not in a big hurry. My two newer trailer both have Superwinches in them now an S4500 and S5500 and move the cars much faster but the ATV winch worked too. It was also a Superwinch. One has a remote one we mounted the switch into the cabinet face, but also has the wired remote.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted Hide Post
I bought this only because it's sold by Holley and warranty replacement will be convenient if necessary. I realize it's not USA made, but few are in my price range, and I didn't by it off Amazon, I bought it from my local Holley distributor.

https://www.amazon.com/Anvil-1...00-Lbs/dp/B08FQ931PP

Posts: 469 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
And it’s still Chinese junk