Find
Notify
Tools

Explain it to me
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted
1st. Round losers, re-enter, win and then re-join race in Third Round?

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
$$$$$$$

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Trying to speed up the race.. They usually go into 2nd round. where was this at?

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chasracer:

That's pretty much how it's done at most regular bracket races. Lose first, buy back and you're in 2nd rnd. lose and buy back again and you're in third round. If you lose third round and they sold a Mulligan drawing and you won the drawing you get back in again. Some tracks give a mulligan for winning dash for cash so you can lose 3 rounds and still be alive for 4th.

Posts: 1463 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
I have never raced in any event that allowed first and second round buybacks...I have raced in an event that allowed first or second round buybacks...

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
quote:

That's pretty much how it's done at most regular bracket races. Lose first, buy back and you're in 2nd rnd. lose and buy back again and you're in third round. If you lose third round and they sold a Mulligan drawing and you won the drawing you get back in again. Some tracks give a mulligan for winning dash for cash so you can lose 3 rounds and still be alive for 4th.

That is pretty crazy, I like buybacks but that is too much.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4025 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think what your talking about is 1st rd buybacks run each other in a re entry round then winners go directly to 3rd round. Not that I agree with it but I can see that happening.

Posts: 2432 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
This was at Eastside and not mine to agree or disagree with it - just didn't understand it. All the places I have seen a first round re-entry they run the re-entries and the winners move on to second round. I can understand the comment about speeding up the event, but if that is the purpose why not just let them buy back and put all of them into second round and proceed with the event? That would be a bit faster.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chasracer,

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
At least around here, the most common buyback format is that first round losers who buyback are called up early for second round, and race each other, but advance directly to third round if they win.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3161 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is how it has been explained to me. I am told that bracket racing cannot exist without large purses. Therefore, some sort of means must be made to allow more "investment" into the purse. One way that is done is allow folks to pay their way past their early round loses. You pay a set amount and you are allowed to advance, even though you lost. Same thing in the following rounds. Just depends on the size of the purse and whoever is making the rules at that event. I personally do not care about the size of the purse and therefore do not participate in these schemes. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1234 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fuzzy dice:
I have never raced in any event that allowed first and second round buybacks...I have raced in an event that allowed first or second round buybacks...

The last three bracket races I participated in had b*ybacks in BOTH the first and second rounds. All three were at three different tracks. Since I do not b*yback myself, it really doesn't matter to me, except that I have to win two more rounds than anyone else to reach the final round. It is simply how things are, nowadays. I have to assume first, second, and third round b*ybacks will soon be the norm. And I still will be having a ball. Smile Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1234 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The only thing I see wrong with that is if they have a bye to advance, otherwise it is the same as buying back into 2nd round.

Posts: 522 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The most unusual buyback program to me is when buybacks run together until only one remains and then that driver re-enters the main race.

Posts: 522 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I was thinking the other day about something. If you have a weekly points series, is it possible to run two separate races.

Race 1: (Points race) No buybacks, that way he who is most consistent throughout the season will have the most points and ultimately win the championship.

Race 2: (Second chance race) Buy back fee is the entry fee, and there will be 1 buy back for this race?

With this format most likely the track gets the same money they would for first and second round buy backs, and it takes the same amount of time. However, the points series doesn't get messed up due to the way some tracks count points.

I know one of my local tracks counts you as long as you show up for the round. Therefore you are always guaranteed 3rd round points even if you don't win a round all day.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have seen this happen but it's not a reentry round. Everybody goes to the second round but they call out buybacks first to say lanes 1 and 2. Then winners will go to 3 and 4. They race the buyback against each other first then they will start pulling the winners once the buybacks are done.

Posts: 114 | Location: ky | Registered: April 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
A lot of the big money races use the re-entry plan...if you lose first round you can buy back in...you then race everyone else who bought back in in what they call the re-entry round...all of those winners advance to the second round...

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:
I was thinking the other day about something. If you have a weekly points series, is it possible to run two separate races.

Race 1: (Points race) No buybacks, that way he who is most consistent throughout the season will have the most points and ultimately win the championship.

Race 2: (Second chance race) Buy back fee is the entry fee, and there will be 1 buy back for this race?

One of our now-defunct local tracks (North Star Dragway) had a program like this for the Electronics & Footbrake / No-E categories. And the track sponsors covered the entries into the 2nd Chance race. I felt like it was a Win for everyone. If you messed up early, you could still keep racing that day, with no additional cost of a buyback. And the points racing only had winners continuing in competition. Plus the 2nd Chance classes provided some cool-down time in later rounds.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:

With this format most likely the track gets the same money they would for first and second round buy backs, and it takes the same amount of time. However, the points series doesn't get messed up due to the way some tracks count points.

I know one of my local tracks counts you as long as you show up for the round. Therefore you are always guaranteed 3rd round points even if you don't win a round all day.

The way Joe Sway handled it at Atco during the Summer Series races was that if you bought back, you didn't earn points. I always thought that was pretty fair.... it leveled the playing field between the better racer the guy who could afford to buy back every single day.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 630 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Explanation:

Without buy backs bracket races fade...unless tge entry is raised. Racers will B I T C H either way.

All buy backs go to the next round no matter how they run them off, no matter how many rounds of buybacks they have. ONE round of BB is VERY normal.

In closing, racers are not forced to buy back, they just dont race anymore that day if they choose to do so. Has nothing to do with anyones feelings about it.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
Explanation:

Without buy backs bracket races fade...unless tge entry is raised. Racers will B I T C H either way.

All buy backs go to the next round no matter how they run them off, no matter how many rounds of buybacks they have. ONE round of BB is VERY normal.

In closing, racers are not forced to buy back, they just dont race anymore that day if they choose to do so. Has nothing to do with anyones feelings about it.

Torqin is right and I will add some complain about getting points after a buyback. I do not care, you only get points for rounds Won so it does not matter to me if you bought back first round or not. I actually like buybacks, the purse is bigger and I tend to hit it a little harder first round and cut it closer than I would with out buybacks. If I cut it too close I can buy back if not I am set.

What I care about is know the rules and do not change them on race day or after race started. There was one track local here that would say on their flyer "No Buybacks, No Double Entry and payout is $XXXXX"

But then when you get there they are doing Double entries, then after first round they announce Buyback window is open and then they changed (Lowered) the pay out. That is probably a large part of why they are no longer open.

If the rules say you acquire points for rounds won even after a buyback I have NO PROBLEM with that. Or if they dont I do not care just as long as they state the rules and follow them.

Set the Rules and follow them.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4025 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post