DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Sportsmanship and game playing's
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sportsmanship and game playing's
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
So with all the crazy stuff that has went on lately. What is sportsmanship? As we can see from some threads here people have different opinions on it. So what are the rules or unwritten rules? I would prefer not to get my car side swiped if I'm doing something wrong and don't know it.

Rapping the gas after the finish line. I have seen this go on at local tracks for years. I never have gave a crap about it. Matter of fact if it's done to me then I must be doing something rite for those people to be that happy they beat me. But it seems at big dollar racing this is a No No.

One thing that I think is funny is everybody wants to complain about nhra rules. Mostly safety rules. But the same ones want to set rules about sportsmanship. Not saying anything bad about anybody. But I just don't understand why every one wants to pick and choose on what rules are followed but have a big list of unwritten rules that you have to follow.

Posts: 114 | Location: ky | Registered: April 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ts393c:
So with all the crazy stuff that has went on lately. What is sportsmanship? As we can see from some threads here people have different opinions on it. So what are the rules or unwritten rules? I would prefer not to get my car side swiped if I'm doing something wrong and don't know it.

Rapping the gas after the finish line. I have seen this go on at local tracks for years. I never have gave a crap about it. Matter of fact if it's done to me then I must be doing something rite for those people to be that happy they beat me. But it seems at big dollar racing this is a No No.

One thing that I think is funny is everybody wants to complain about nhra rules. Mostly safety rules. But the same ones want to set rules about sportsmanship. Not saying anything bad about anybody. But I just don't understand why every one wants to pick and choose on what rules are followed but have a big list of unwritten rules that you have to follow.

Not everyone, just the libtards. They need their safe space don't ya know. They make up the rules as they go. Make up a fictional story to put their friends back in a race 45 minutes later, no problem.

You're expected to walk on egg shells amongst the self appointed self anointed elite.

All hail the elect self anointed self appointed.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
It's funny you mention it, since I was thinking as I read yesterday about folks upset about the lack of sportsmanship in bulb flickering or delighting. I really don't see it that way. It's a way for them to combat someone who wants to control the pace of staging and force someone else to stage first, and play games with it. The flicker thing doesn't do a thing if you just stage the damn car.

IMO, the rules cover this stuff pretty well. What the rules don't cover, generally the tracks take care of.

I think a lot of the problems arise when the rules aren't enforced, or aren't enforced consistently. Unfortunately this does pop up a lot with "promoter races". That's when you run into (with some but not all series, Loose Rockers seems to be a real exception) house cars and various performance enhancing drugs being abused, and things being in cars, that aren't legal to be in cars. It's all driven by money. Particularly for the promoter. The last thing he wants to do is chase away a racer by asking them to pee in a cup. Or tear apart their car.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6409 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Everyone knows you rip the throttle as much as you can, because you can. In order to get in the other guys head. If you don't respect a guy's ability, you hold more, which means you rip more.

Reverence is earned in any given race by how your opponent see's the race unfolding.

If your opponent rips before or after the stripe, you have no one to blame but yourself. Because you didn't do anything in the race to earn reverence.

It's all disrespect. Disrespect is the name of the game.

I don't rip the throttle after the stripe, but who am I to tell another guy he can't, it's disrespectful. No it's not. Not anymore or less than any other of it.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
What they should've said was, or what they meant was... It's not politically correct to rip after the stripe.

It's all disrespect, disrespect is the name of the game.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Sportsmanship is taught at a young age (or should have been) by parents/coaches or mentor. Everyone celebrates a win, round, score, touchdown or goal. It’s part of the game. Now it seems the % wants no celebration and a trophy for participating - Full Moon It’s not doing these kids any justice. Creating sissy’s!
Who knows what went down between the participants prior to the round. This could have been building from races past..
Life is tough!
JMO.

BP

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4506 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Sportsmanship is shaking a guys hand after he pulls up on you in the lanes, rips you on the track, and after the the stripe!

That's sportsmanship.

Whatever you dish out, you can also take, without crying foul.

That's sportsmanship.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The dial in and the plan, is the con. Sportsmanship is displaying the same outward attitude, whether the con fails or succeeds.

It's all disrespect, as all cons are. Disrespect is the name of the game.

DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
I am a fairly straight forward guy...you break the rules you pay the penalty...you get special treatment from anyone afterwards, I am not interested in knowing you or those who afforded you that special treatment...

As to sportsmanship, I believe in it and practice it...anyone who thinks they get an edge by not being a good sportsman needs a prayer meeting...good sportsmanship is practiced at the highest levels of drag racing so those who feel differently need to put that nonsense in their pocket and go on down the road...you are your own worst enemy...

Posts: 1277 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I honestly never heard about the rapping of the gas after the finish line until seeing it on this website.
Seems like it wouldn't be good for your engine if done repeatedly.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Ask Scotty. LOL He use to do it a bunch to screw with others, guess it works. I think even he said at one time it called something like doing the Scotty or a Scotty.He had some story about it.

IMO you are just ripping it right as the oil is running away from the pickup or maybe they are trying to slosh some into back of pan. Either way its their motor and if it is something they want to do have at it.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I think it was very first round of first race I ran and I knew nothing and nobody. I ran one the top racers in the area. We staged and I lost so I followed him back was going to introduce myself and Congratulate him. He pulls into his pit, jumps out of his car laughing and jumping up and down and goes into this big Gay looking happy dance then sees me and gives me double bird and finishes off with big air humping.

Really disgusting and poor sportsmanship. I have never had anyone else act so childish and Stupid since.

I guess technically he did not break any rules but he sure let me know what type person he is.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4025 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of SC4400
posted Hide Post
You just don't see this kind of stuff at divisional or National events.If someone whomps the gas after the finish line, I don't think I would even notice, nor care? I make a point of giving the random first round guy a thumbs up. If anyone thinks that means I don't want to crush you, you're really not too bright. One can be competitive and sportsman like at the same time.
Second round I always wish the driver good luck, and be safe. And I'll tell you straight up I'm NOT stomping the brakes. Period. If I'm holding that much I need to lose.

I did have a Minnesota gentleman attempt to screw with me in Topeka a couple years ago. After winning the flip, I picked my lane. A few chit chat words spoken, and the the **** head while gripping my hand shake says that he's going to the lane I called. And he's staring at me like I'm going to fold. Caught me off gaurd for sure. But I recovered, and said NO dude, you heard the lane I picked.Turned to my crew guy and asked did I say my lane? He says yep, and we're looking at this DA wondering what rock he crawled out form under.

I'm not expecting no class behavior, so you will catch me off guard if that's your thing.

RIP

It's a dangerous time in America. The communists are inside the gates.
Our survival is not guaranteed.

Posts: 794 | Location: Lake Charles La | Registered: January 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I don't think sportsmanship is dead, but I do think an increasing number of competitors think it is much less important than winning.

At the local level, I have seen points racers who intentionally pair up with a buddy/relative who is going to give them an easy win. I see points racers and non points racers alike who wait at the back of the staging lanes to pick out their opponents.

And hey, many of them do win. Personally, I just don't find the winning to be as important as all that. I am just happy to be there and still have a place to compete and enjoy the company of like minded people. I plan to continue to do it for as long as possible. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1234 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I usually just try to be a nice guy. There has been times I have worked on my opponents car try to get it fixed so we can race.

Now when it's time to race I want to win. Don't matter who my opponent is. If I lose it just means I didn't do my job good enough. Not mad at nobody but myself. I try to treat people with respect and do as long as the show it back to me. If they are a a$$ I show it rite back to them.

It just seems that over the years people added a lot of unwritten rules. If you don't follow them then your not a good sportsman. But who's rules are these and who decides who's breaking them?

Posts: 114 | Location: ky | Registered: April 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It was posted on another thread that it is unsportsmanlike if you don't let a deep stager stage first.
I guess I have been unsportsmanlike in my racing career.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 442OLDS:
It was posted on another thread that it is unsportsmanlike if you don't let a deep stager stage first.
I guess I have been unsportsmanlike in my racing career.

Lol! Nah you’re not. They choose to go deep, not you. Their job to be prepared. I’ve always said; We can be friends after the race, before - all bets are off...

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4506 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I will do anything I can to help my opponent if they are having a problem. They need a starter or fuel pump what ever if I have one they can use it. I will wait on them if they can not start and my crew will run over to try to help them. The starter will have to make me go in if they are having trouble getting started or something.

With that said once we are staged I am concentrating on one thing. I do not play any staging games or trash talk and I try not to let it bother me what they act stupid. I feel best revenge when they act stupid is to concentrate on my job and put them on the trailer. Try not to let them get me messed up.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4025 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ts393c:
I usually just try to be a nice guy. There has been times I have worked on my opponents car try to get it fixed so we can race.

Now when it's time to race I want to win. Don't matter who my opponent is. If I lose it just means I didn't do my job good enough. Not mad at nobody but myself. I try to treat people with respect and do as long as the show it back to me. If they are a a$$ I show it rite back to them.

It just seems that over the years people added a lot of unwritten rules. If you don't follow them then your not a good sportsman. But who's rules are these and who decides who's breaking them?

The liberal mob. To the liberal mob arguments aren't about right or wrong, or true or false which is established through logic, reason and rational thinking according to evidence. No, no, to the liberal mob, every debate is a battleground for power.

This is why the rules are constantly changing. There are no rules, only power.

You can always tell when the liberal mob is losing, it turns to smear and doxing.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The liberal mob is a women.

Emotional not rational.